Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SAMs 440/460  (Read 9880 times)

Description:

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: SAMs 440/460
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 26, 2011, 02:35:42 PM »
Quote from: Golem!dk;609306
You know I actually did before I wrote my post, just to see who did the derailing.

very good now I wonder what purpose do posts no 5 and 7 serve in this thread, not to mention others ? hmmm

post no 5, JJ wrote:

"I can very truthfully say I have and will  not pay that sort of money  for a Sam board when for a fraction of the cost I can and have got a mac  mini which is more powerful (not as expandable I admit) and run a  better next gen AmigaOS in the form of MorphOS"

post no 7, Dwyloc wrote:

"Yeah, I'm looking at new parts for my Powermac. I already have a  Soundblaster Llive, an Nec based 2.0 card, now I want to upgrade from a  Radeon 9200 to a 9100 and add an SATA controller.

For the price of a bare SAM, I could buy two completely outfitted Mac.       "
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2011, 02:46:12 PM »
Quote from: yakumo9275;609298
I do believe Hans de Ruiter is working on composition/3d for the 4000 series currently. It is his dirver acube ship with sam460

Hans says he is not working on 3D for any of the cards.

Offline Golem!dk

• Show only replies by Golem!dk
    • http://www.google.com/
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2011, 02:47:47 PM »
@klx300r
So... factual (perhaps off topic) information hurts, so that makes it ok to lash out?
~

Offline klx300r

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2011, 02:56:15 PM »
Quote from: Golem!dk;609313
@klx300r
So... factual (perhaps off topic) information hurts, so that makes it ok to lash out?

thanks for proving my point & bad answer..& 'lash out':lol:...wow

Offline yakumo9275Topic starter

• Show only replies by yakumo9275
    • http://mega-tokyo.com/blog
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2011, 02:58:10 PM »
Quote from: Piru;609312
Hans says he is not working on 3D for any of the cards.

from his website;

While the current drivers (as on Saturday 15 January, 2011) lack compositing support for Radeon HD 2000-4000 series cards; this will not remain so for long. When I started writing the drivers my goal was to bring support for modern graphics cards complete with shader support to the Amiga, and it will happen. There are no release dates yet, but it is coming

So one could infer that he is working on the composition side (what I meant, when I said 3D, I should have said composition, my bad).
--/\\-[ Stu ]-/\\--
Commodore 128DCR, JiffyDOS, Ultimate 1541 II, uIEC/SD, CBM 1902A  Monitor

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;609310
very good now I wonder what purpose do posts no 5 and 7 serve in this thread, not to mention others ? hmmm

post no 5, JJ wrote:

"I can very truthfully say I have and will  not pay that sort of money  for a Sam board when for a fraction of the cost I can and have got a mac  mini which is more powerful (not as expandable I admit) and run a  better next gen AmigaOS in the form of MorphOS"

post no 7, Dwyloc wrote:

"Yeah, I'm looking at new parts for my Powermac. I already have a  Soundblaster Llive, an Nec based 2.0 card, now I want to upgrade from a  Radeon 9200 to a 9100 and add an SATA controller.

For the price of a bare SAM, I could buy two completely outfitted Mac.         "

I'm sorry the truth hurts. But Acube boards are both overpriced and underpowered.

That said, they are the only game in town for AOS4 and I don't want to discourage interest in that OS.

Since when does any one party decide who can contribute?

I notice you failed to mention the post where  I mentioned the long standing thread on MorphZone about the SAM460.

It's not that we're intent on denigrating Acube products. its just a matter of comparison.

Frankly I' like to see Acube pick uo the new .PPC465. That looks really promising.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2011, 03:06:28 PM »
Quote from: Dwyloc;608984
I think its more that there is a number of loud mouthed non-amiga  users (people that would never purchase a new amiga), then there us real Amiga users who put our money were our mouths are and buy Amiga products that meet our needs.

The questions I asked myself before purchasing my sam440 Amiga and OS4.1 was would it be faster than my existing Amiga solution and did the price seem fare for what I would be getting and the amount of use I would get out of it.  I decided the answer was yes to both questions and made my purchase which I am still happy with today a few years later.

My reaction to the Sams at first was all good. I just wish they were more reasonable in price. With OS4, well uh - working, they could have grabbed a much larger audience. Instead, they price themselves away from a whole other layer of consumers, oh well, sure it has all been said before around here.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline klx300r

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2011, 03:17:47 PM »
@ Iggy;609321]I'm sorry the truth hurts. But Acube boards are both overpriced and underpowered.

That said, they are the only game in town for AOS4 and I don't want to discourage interest in that OS.

[/QUOTE]

man you guys just don't give up eh.  Please contribute on a thread that wants you to compare about old Macs running MOS and new Sams running OS4.1!

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2011, 03:23:25 PM »
I don't think Hyperion will release OS4 for the SAM460 until the X1000 is released, or at least is a lot closer to being released than it is now. Why risk losing sales on a high dollar system to people who would be just as happy with the 460?

Offline outlawal2

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2011, 03:32:28 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;609327
@ Iggy;609321]I'm sorry the truth hurts. But Acube boards are both overpriced and underpowered.

man you guys just don't give up eh.  Please contribute on a thread that wants you to compare about old Macs running MOS and new Sams running OS4.1![/QUOTE]

Can we get back to the TOPIC which was (For those of you distracted by your own thoughts)  The SAMs...    This thread was started specifically about the SAM and nowhere did the creator ask for opinions RE: other options.  

We all have our opinions about which option(s) are better or worse, but they have all been hashed out AD NAUSEUM for friggin YEARS.   Can we please stay on the topic the man wants to talk about?  And if the other camps feel an absolute need to explain their position yet again please start another thread about Morph OS... Or Aros...   Or whatever..

All this constant back-biting gets friggin old real fast..

(and just for the record I am an old-time Amiga fan that sees the value in all of these options...  I may not necessarily agree with all of the opinions, but I can see where folks are coming from and guess what?  In most cases their arguments are valid from the perspective that they are coming from. Problem is that everyone has their own perspective..   So please RESPECT the opinions and perspective of the guy that started the thread and refrain from the camp wars...)

Offline mbrantley

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2011, 04:05:11 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;609333
I don't think Hyperion will release OS4 for the SAM460 until the X1000 is released, or at least is a lot closer to being released than it is now. Why risk losing sales on a high dollar system to people who would be just as happy with the 460?

Don't know if this is true, but in my own case if the Sam460 is available soon and the X1000 is available at some far-off, unknown date, I know I will buy a Sam460 sooner. Later, if I get an X1000, I would either keep the Sam460 or sell it (or my Sam440, or both) to help raise money for the Aeon machine.

However, if both machines hit the market near the same time, I will choose one or the other. Maybe I would decide the Sam460 is good enough for me and not make the big X1000 investment. Or maybe decide I just have to have the biggest, baddest, fastest AOS4 machine ever and put all my resources into an X1000 purchase.

Meanwhile, I am enjoying my Sam440 machine quite a bit so am at a place where I can be patient as I ponder my next foolish outlay in cash for this hobby.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;609327

man you guys just don't give up eh.  Please contribute on a thread that wants you to compare about old Macs running MOS and new Sams running OS4.1![/QUOTE]

Cool! Because while you don't seem to realize it I actually pretty fond of Acube. Like I said, if they pick up the 465 then they'll have an extremely competitive processor. And new hardwatre is definately to be desired over used hardware.
Sooner or later the supply of reliable Mac is going to dry up and I'm hoping to see new boards based on Applied Micros 465 and Freescales 5500 cored processors.

And thee is no real dispute between AOS4 and MorphOS. They're very similar products that make cross porting a breeze. Hey, with a wraper I can run some AOS4 software.

If you really are thinking about a Sam460, go for it.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2011, 05:11:50 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;609300
the only reason is the wrong reason in this thread because yakumo9275 specifically only asked about the Sam460ex. After the usual MOS suspects attacked & the OP, as well as others, told you to stop it & surprise surprise you guys are still at it.

Please create another thread about the virtues of MOS on old Macs and try to stop putting down other camps for a change.

I think if you read my original post I was replying to the accusation that amiga users, depsite what they say, are willing to overspend on hardare.

I was pointing out that I don't. I for a long time was in neither camp to be honest until I tried MorphOS, and now I cant understand blindly following a name on expensive hardware especially as MorphOS , in my opinion, and in benchmarks is a better OS than AOS4.

To stay on topic, I can't adivse you to buy sam :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:16:02 PM by JJ »
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Hans_

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2011, 08:20:37 PM »
Quote from: yakumo9275;609318
So one could infer that he is working on the composition side (what I meant, when I said 3D, I should have said composition, my bad).

It's surprising how many people get compositing mixed up with 3D. That's probably the case because only 3D graphics cards are capable of doing compositing.

Anyway, 3D support is also coming. Yes, I am involved with the 3D stuff too.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline klx300r

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »
@ Piru

bit late but thanks for starting another thread instead of hi-jacking this one

Offline Iggy

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2011, 03:33:52 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;609751
@ Piru

bit late but thanks for starting another thread instead of hi-jacking this one

Are you going to get a SAM460? I'd love to see some tests run on that.

Basically, the 460EX is a 440 core with an FPU that clocks up to 1.15 Ghz. Its one of Applied Micro's nicer processors. While other 460s may support more PCI-e lanes or a slightly higher speed, they don't all have an FPU. It's a definite improvement over the SAM440.

I also like the 464EX based APM82181, lthough it only has 1 PCI-e lane and is slightly slower (1 Ghz).

And the new Packet ProAPM86190 really looks interesting with its 465 core clocked at uo to 1.5 Ghz.

Let us know what you decide and how things work out.