Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiTCP/IP, error msg. "No Route To Host"  (Read 839 times)

Description: using the V3.02

Offline planZradioTopic starter

• Show only replies by planZradio
    • chestnutgrovemedia.com
AmiTCP/IP, error msg. "No Route To Host"
« on: February 11, 2023, 07:10:56 PM »
working with a couple of Amiga 2000's each running Workbench 2.0. with accelerated  GVP products,
Network device = a4066 in each machine
after struggling with a couple of install mishaps, both machines are starting and running the AmiTCP software.
I am using the 10Base2 (thin net) protocol, meaning I am simply trying to connect one Amiga to another with the coaxial cable.
I am not trying to get to the internet, yet.
i can successfully ping the local host on each machine 127.0.0.1
I can NOT ping anything else. The error msg. is as follows:

ping: sendto: No route to host
ping: wrote 192.168.0.101 64 chars, ret=-1
and then it just repeats until I interrupt it with Ctrl-c

I have tried to tweak many lines of  code in specific places to correct this but nothing is working.
host name is Amiga3, address is 192.168.0.102, netmask is 255.255.255.0, gateway is 192.168.0.102
host name is amiga2, address is 192.168.0.101, netmask is 255.255.255.0, gateway is 192.168.0.101
the domain name on both machines is something.com
the "startnet" script looks to be correct and matches the detailed instructions found on http://megaburken.net/~patrik/AmiTCP_Install/

i do have a cable connected between machines using the BNC connector
AND I have a cat5 cable connected to the RJ-45 port to a little D-link router and I get green activity lights on the a4066 cards, but the Linux machine connected to the router can not see any Amiga hardware, and the Amiga's do not appear to be transmitting via this connector. disconnecting the RJ-45 paths makes no difference.

anyone have any idea what to do to correct this and establish a  connection ?????
thanks

***** Just found out that AmiTCP uses the serial port. I had Amiga Explorer automatically starting in workbench so there was a conflict, but the machine did not specifically indicate there was a conflict. I found this out when attempting to send files via Amiga explorer, the computers could not make a connection. i disabled all the AMiTCP configuration data in the user-startup, re-booted and got Amiga Explorer functioning again.
So the obvious thing to do next is remove Amiga explorer from the start-up and enable the AmiTCP functions and see what happens.
*** did that but there was no change. Same old stupid.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:36:53 PM by planZradio »

Offline Thomas

Re: AmiTCP/IP, error msg. "No Route To Host"
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 01:16:53 AM »

Gateway needs to be the other computer. The gateway is the address where all packets are sent to. If you tell each computer to send all packets to itself you can never reach anything outside.

And no, AmiTCP does not use the serial port unless you tell it to do so. AmigaExplorer automatically switches to TCP/IP mode if it finds a TCP/IP stack running.

Offline planZradioTopic starter

• Show only replies by planZradio
    • chestnutgrovemedia.com
Re: AmiTCP/IP, error msg. "No Route To Host"
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 09:16:35 PM »
Thank You for the direction. I had given that some thought but tried to stick to the install instructions, but modifying where I could to accommodate the thin net (BNC) connection since there is no router, and I got confused.
I implicated your suggestion, It makes perfect sense, buttttttttttt I got the same result.

The jumper configurations on the a4066 board in each machine are set to match the thin net. It should be working.

I am wondering if I should switch over to the TenBaseT method and include the router back in the scheme and then set the gateway back to 192.168.0.1

i don't know, i think there is something amiss in the software setup, the AmiTCP login screens are different on each machine. One of them seems to be confused on the directory to use and choses a default, and the other machine has a successful log-in.