Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any thoughts regarding the NEW A4000 motherboards?  (Read 540 times)

Description:

Offline dingebreTopic starter

Any thoughts regarding the NEW A4000 motherboards?
« on: November 12, 2023, 04:04:50 AM »
As I said here: https://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=76166.0 I purchased an A4000 in great condition. However, I believe in the saying, "If it ain't broke, fix it til it is." I am fascinated by the new A4000 PCBs that have been offered. It's a replica of a Rev B motherboard. Has anyone tried one of these? Good, bad, indifferent? One vendor has them completely built, NOS custom chips, new connectors (except the DB23 which is recycled). Kind of pricey, but very tempting just the same.

David
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 04:07:42 AM by dingebre »
David

Offline miggyretro

Re: Any thoughts regarding the NEW A4000 motherboards?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 10:04:36 PM »
Yes. I have 2 of them ACILL boards which have been designed by John “Chucky” Hertel. One in a desktop and another which will be going into a tower setup soon. Great boards. Bought from Ireland and made up by the guy there.

Watch out with the silkscreening. It doesn’t have the info on them like the original commodore boards. Especially for the jumper settings. Apart from that all good…

The following users thanked this post: dingebre

Offline dingebreTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 11:51:17 PM »
Yes. I have 2 of them ACILL boards which have been designed by John “Chucky” Hertel. One in a desktop and another which will be going into a tower setup soon. Great boards. Bought from Ireland and made up by the guy there.

Watch out with the silkscreening. It doesn’t have the info on them like the original commodore boards. Especially for the jumper settings. Apart from that all good…

Thanks. Chucky does excellent work. I appreciate the comments and advice.

David
David

Offline Jope

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 03:07:32 PM »
There is no Chucky designed A4000 board.

The Acill board was designed by Commodore, then Acill crowdfunded a design house in USA to reverse-engineer it.

The Alice 4000 board was designed by Hese based on the component locations of an original A4000 board.

Offline miggyretro

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 04:39:11 PM »
Actually John “Chucky” Hertell did have a hand in this as of this link

https://github.com/Acill/A4000RevB

I think you better do your day job that RetropassionUK is paying you off for on EAB before trying to correct people on this forum Jope.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 08:10:38 PM »
Seconded.. As a EAB admin you don’t even do that..

Oh if you want the contact Email for the guy who makes and tests these for a better deal than what he sells them at. PM me  8)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 09:27:47 PM by Boing-ball »