Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 239580 times)

Description:

Offline x303

Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« Reply #254 on: October 15, 2018, 08:36:25 PM »
I didn't have to provide my billing address. Just name, email address and country of residence.

When I wanna buy w/ paypal or iDeal I do have to fill in the billing address.

Offline graffias79

• Show only replies by graffias79
« Reply #255 on: October 17, 2018, 03:36:36 AM »
So I upgraded my A1200 to 3.1.4 but it has 3.1 ROMs.  Before installing the update I installed MMULib from Aminet as it seemed to be suggested in the installation guide.  I have a Paragon 030/40 accelerator, which has a full MC68030 with a 68882 FPU.  Anyway after installing MMULib to get the 68030.library installed, I proceeded to upgrade the system.  Unfortunately it looks like LoadModule put all of the ROM patches into ChipRAM.  This ate up a ton of my ChipRAM and made the system feel very lethargic.

Is there a software fix for this or is this never going to be possible because my FastRAM is unable to endure a reboot?  I DID keep a backup of my previous config so I can revert while I wait for someone that can burn my Kickstart to physical chips.  It would be nice to be able to use it right away though.

guest11527

« Reply #256 on: October 17, 2018, 04:57:13 AM »
This is actually mentioned in the FAQ. Add "MuProtectModules ON REMAP" to the startup-sequence. This will (at least) mirror the modules from Chip to Fast. So it will still eat up chip memory, but at least the speed will be back to normal.

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #257 on: October 17, 2018, 02:35:28 PM »
You probably should find a way to "move" the Modules to FastRAM instead of mirror them.... this will help a lot of People  8)
Save Planet Earth! It is the only one in the galaxy with fresh and cold beer :laughing:

guest11527

« Reply #258 on: October 17, 2018, 03:35:08 PM »
You probably should find a way to "move" the Modules to FastRAM instead of mirror them.... this will help a lot of People  8)

There is always "NOMEMFKICK" as option to LoadModule which attempts that - this can be tried as an alternative as well. Problem is that this neither needs to work (if the RAM looses contents during bootstrap or is not auto-configuring) and that it also needs to keep exec in ChipMem.

The *real* problem is that multiple vendors do not set the attributes for their RAM correctly, or neither implement autoconfig correctly. Add on top that Ranger memory is neither suitable because the RAM-Test for ranger memory is simply broken in Os 3.1.

There is a tag for identifying suitable memory which is also used by default, but what can you do with all the multiple hardware on the market that did not quite follow CBMs recommendations (leave alone CBM, which did not follow its own best practises).

In the end, you never know what you get.

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #259 on: October 18, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »
I will check this out with GVP 030  8)
Save Planet Earth! It is the only one in the galaxy with fresh and cold beer :laughing:

Offline Romanujan

• Show only replies by Romanujan
« Reply #260 on: October 23, 2018, 03:53:58 PM »
According to the FAQ, with 3.1.4 I don't need AmberRAM anymore. How do I mount second RAM disk with plain OS 3.1.4 than? I'm currently using AmberRAM just to have T: and Clipboards: completely separated from RAM:, so I won't copy/delete them by accident.

Offline outlawal2

« Reply #261 on: October 23, 2018, 07:12:34 PM »
OK so attempted to purchase 3.1.4 for my 3000 and 1200..  Made the purchase (Of course my money is taken with zero issues)
Then when I try to download it says I need to create a new account.  So I do this and it says OK click on the link in the email we sent you.
I received no email.  Checked multiple times and even tried to create account again and no dice.  So the account was created but I can't activate.

So I go to the forum and apparently they are having some kind of issue sending emails and are getting blocked.  So I try to ask a question in the forum and of course I need to create an account and guess what?  Yep I will need to click on another email that never arrives.  And NOWHERE on the site is a place to reach anyone if you have issues.

So exactly how is anyone supposed to download their software with this situation?

Offline number6

« Reply #262 on: October 23, 2018, 07:26:13 PM »
OK so attempted to purchase 3.1.4 for my 3000 and 1200..  Made the purchase (Of course my money is taken with zero issues)
Then when I try to download it says I need to create a new account.  So I do this and it says OK click on the link in the email we sent you.
I received no email.  Checked multiple times and even tried to create account again and no dice.  So the account was created but I can't activate.

So I go to the forum and apparently they are having some kind of issue sending emails and are getting blocked.  So I try to ask a question in the forum and of course I need to create an account and guess what?  Yep I will need to click on another email that never arrives.  And NOWHERE on the site is a place to reach anyone if you have issues.

So exactly how is anyone supposed to download their software with this situation?

Would you please give a direct link to forum where this issue is being discussed?
Thanks.

guest11527

« Reply #263 on: October 23, 2018, 07:47:54 PM »
According to the FAQ, with 3.1.4 I don't need AmberRAM anymore. How do I mount second RAM disk with plain OS 3.1.4 than? I'm currently using AmberRAM just to have T: and Clipboards: completely separated from RAM:, so I won't copy/delete them by accident.
You cannot mount a second ram disk on the RAM-Handler.

Offline rxxic

« Reply #264 on: October 23, 2018, 07:54:55 PM »

I bought them too, I received an e-mail with the download link. No issues downloading AmigaOS 3.14.

However, I could not find the purchased items in my Hyperion account at first, but a couple of hours later everything was there too.

maybe you just have to wait for the servers to do their work..

Offline outlawal2

« Reply #265 on: October 23, 2018, 07:57:34 PM »
The issue was not with the purchase.. It was with the ACTIVATION of my account on the site.
I received the email with my serial# as that came from a 3rd party commerce site.. (Whoever they use to take your money)  That worked fine.

It was after the fact when I tried to create an account on the website that I have not received an activation email so I am dead in the water

Offline kolla

« Reply #266 on: October 24, 2018, 01:50:30 PM »
@outlawal2

Hm, wasn't it you who told me to stop wasting everyone's time? Well well...
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #267 on: October 24, 2018, 06:02:18 PM »
I've tried to keep up, but this has become a really long thread that gets personal at times. 

I gather that OS3.1.4 has been released recently - good.  It is a preliminary or test release because the new ROMs are not yet available?  Is there a release date for plug-n-play ROMs for various models?

If there was an announcement, I could have easily missed it because of the new Amiga.org web site/format.  Please forgive my ignorance.  I just don't log-in as much nor use Amigas as much as before.

On a bright note, it is very encouraging and even exciting that the OS is being updated and bug-fixed.  The last time I felt this good about Amiga was when i discovered BetterWB or installed OS3.5.

guest11527

« Reply #268 on: October 24, 2018, 06:05:51 PM »
It is a preliminary or test release because the new ROMs are not yet available?  Is there a release date for plug-n-play ROMs for various models?
This pretty much depends on the dealers and their negotiation with Hyperion. I afraid I cannot really say except that everything is prepared for a nice "boxed" release.

Offline outlawal2

« Reply #269 from previous page: October 25, 2018, 01:46:19 AM »
@outlawal2

Hm, wasn't it you who told me to stop wasting everyone's time? Well well...

Exactly how is my posting a question about the purchase of 3.1.4 wasting everyone's time?  At least my question is in regards to the subject at hand and not simply being a dick.  You sir cannot say the same.

Please go away as this is a forum for decent Amiga fans.

(And for the record my question was answered from someone on the Hyperion site that was able to assist me with the issue and all is well now.)