Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OS 5 prediction  (Read 6698 times)

Description:

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
Re: Amiga OS 5 prediction
« Reply #89 from previous page: October 13, 2007, 04:27:27 PM »

jarroyo wrote:

I was speaking about the PA Semi architecture being a low latancy platform, much more efficient / balanced than the X86 architecture. This chip is acually being targetted for use in places like enteprise routers, a low latency high throughput application.

PA Semi is still PowerPC, correct?  While PPC is better than x86, it is still not even in the top 5 for latency

It is true what you say about CPU's being bogged down by effects processing in software, but consider these factors:
1. CPU's are standardizing on a dual core design. the power will be there to spare.
2. The 128 bit matrix math units built into the chips are made to handle these kinds of transformations.
3. Its cheaper to do it in software, and with the video, and soon to be physics off loaded from the CPU; your processor will be sitting idler than in times past; at least for games.

Just my thoughts......

1) And vendors are eager to put more onto the CPU, offsetting the gains.
2) Again, vendors are eager to put more onto these units, resulting in a net loss.
3) In software, sure, but software != CPU-bound.  GPU's do their work in software, but off of the CPU, for example.  You can retain the softwatre flexibility without bogging down the CPU, especially now with the advent of the new Torrenza format for co-processing off of the main CPU bus, giving you the best of both worlds.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2007, 04:30:37 PM »
PA-RISC != PowerPC

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2007, 04:42:23 PM »

Zac67 wrote:
PA-RISC != PowerPC

Who mentioned PA RISC?  PA Semi is a new fabless PowerPC vendor.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Toxitalk

• Show only replies by Toxitalk
    • http://www.web-coder.co.uk
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2007, 03:20:57 PM »

AmiKit wrote:
OS5 is never going to happen.

What do you mean, its already here, its called kxlight.

Pity its not built buy Amiga (wel at least this way they cant screw it up) :-D

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2007, 01:15:45 AM »

billt wrote:
Wasn't there a plan based on QNX back in the GateMiga days?

Yes and No.  They announced it, though the actual plan was to use BeOS until 3 days before the show when the worlds dumbest CEO (Jean-Louis Gassée) decided to not partner with Gateway. The virtual same story happened during the proposed Apple buyout of Be.   So QNX was a quick replacement, its a nice OS, I've used it a couple of embedded systems over the years.  After that the idea changed to a Linux kernal instead and then we had most of the Gateway gang being fired.
    -Tig
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2007, 02:15:35 AM »

eniac wrote:
I think everyone is rite in saying it needs to be different or  offer something linux and windows cant....

I really really think apple is a piss weak competitor and if someone had the vision, the smarts and the capital to make it happen, they could knock apple over and take 2nd place relatively easy......

At first read I was going to fire off some real opposition to eniac's message above, but after thinking about it longer, I can't work up any concrete facts or spur my conviction to oppose the basics of what he is trying to say.

I think people in general are starting to regret that Microsoft holds such a monopoly and they are also starting to realize that it has stifled innovation and creativity.  That may contribute in small part to the Mac's growing market share and popularity and increased interest in Linux and other alternatives.  I happen to like the Mac and think it will be even better when Leopard is released in a few days, but I will admit that there is still a huge amount of room for improvement.  Someday the mighty will fall and someone else with a truly innovative idea will be able to inspire the masses to change and move away from what Windows users have been suffering with for so many years.

It may still take a few years before a change comes, but I agree it is inevitable.  I can only dream that the name associated with the change when it ultimately comes will begin and end with the letter "A".  Dreams are free and everyone should follow their own.  A new Amiga will have to provide a change so huge, a shift in the paradigm, on the order of several magnitudes beyond what is typical in the PC world now, even more so than the original Amiga did in comparison to the first PCs, for it to succeed.

END RANT
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline gdanko

• Show only replies by gdanko
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2007, 04:20:48 AM »
An Amiga skin still isn't an Amiga :-) AROS + integrated EUAE is the future.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2007, 04:46:12 AM »

gdanko wrote:
An Amiga skin still isn't an Amiga :-) AROS + integrated EUAE is the future.

We could argue all day and night for months about what is and is not an Amiga, or the what the next Amiga should be.  For me, AROS and EUAE is not it.  If it is for you, be happy and contribute to that direction.  When it is perfected to the point that the integrated EUAE is completely invisible to the user and it has at least 50% of the 3rd party programmers that the original Amiga had in 1987, or 1988, then I will take another look at AROS.  I am hoping for something 100 times better, something that will blow me away like the original A1000 did when I first saw it.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline RW222

• Show only replies by RW222
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2007, 05:34:01 AM »
My predictions, it will be based on OS-9000 and programmed by a VMS guru in COBOL, who rather likes the way MP/M 68K does things. In response to alpha testing complaints, GEM API support will be added. Beta testers with RTC hardware find it has the millenium bug, development having presumably occurred on pre-2000 Amiga hardware with the batteries cut off due to leakage. They also complain that enabling USB seems to make the clock the default cursor. Backward compatibility is thoughtfully provided by an x86 binary of UAE on the install disk.
RW222: A1200 (early commodore) A1220 Turbo+4MB, A500x2.