Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst trends in video games?  (Read 5981 times)

Description:

Offline koshman

• Show all replies
Re: Worst trends in video games?
« on: April 10, 2011, 08:39:28 AM »
I hate the current (or has it always been like this?) trend of "bigger and better" sequels. This applies especially for bestselling game franchises - e.g. GTA - when GTA3 came out in 2002 it was a small revolution - it might not have been exactly your cup of tea (it wasn't mine...), you can't deny it was groundbreaking in many ways though. But all the newer GTA games play exactly the same and the reviewers still complain about the same things, because the core gameplay hasn't been changed one bit over the years. Still everybody wants and buys the new GTAs, because you get:

- more cities (and they're bigger, too!!!)
- more cars and motorbikes
- more guns
- more houses
- more quests
- more costumes
- more factions
- more stuff to buy in shops
- more ways to pimp your car
- you can drive a bicycle now (just WOW...)
- the main dude is black now (big deal...)
- etc etc etc

You get sooo much new stuff and sooo little new game(play), still every new GTA game is hyped like it's the second coming. This just makes me angry - there are still awesome games being released nowadays - Mass Effect, Bioshock, Fallout etc., but for each of them you get a new GTA, Tomb Raider, FIFA (NHL, NBA...), NFS, Sims, WoW expansion etc.
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD

Offline koshman

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 08:43:38 AM »
Also everything has to be online today or at least has some form of multiplayer. Why? I love a good story in a game, I love playing at my own pace.

And the lack of innovation in JRPGs - the genre is basically the same for 20+ years and no one seems to mind. When you get something new it's being heralded as a total revolution - no random fights and..... I can't think of anything else that's been changed in JRPGs. The only thing you get (bigger and better all over again) - even more minigames, even more playable characters, even more totally nonsensical ways to evolve your characters (materia system - what the f*** ???).....

EDIT: sorry for the double post...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:49:26 AM by koshman »
- Radim

Offline koshman

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »
@ hooligan:

All GTA games have been top notch, including the mission packs. Boy you picked a wrong game as an example.

Did I? Nobody argues that the games are fun. Is anything of what I wrote not true? Hardly. We used to call these data disks or expansions...
- Radim