Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst trends in video games?  (Read 5873 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Worst trends in video games?
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 10, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »
Quote from: A1260;630736
what the games are about today is the story, the way of gaming them is pretty much standardized with a few diffrences here and there.
"What games are about today" is just another empty trendiness. Games are about the same thing they've always been about: having fun. If they're the kind of games that would be enhanced by multiplayer, sure, they should support multiplayer. But if they're the kind of games that would be degraded by it, they shouldn't be forced to support it anyway.
but i dont think you should be afraid of the shoehorning. there are game companies that do what they think is best for their games and always will.
Eh, I'd have more confidence in this if we didn't see game companies awkwardly compromise designs to fit whatever the last blockbuster did all the time.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 04:52:16 PM »
When it comes to multi-player games the only decent ones that I've ever liked were SWOS, The Settlers & Archon... :)

I'd have hated for all my SNES RPG games to have been multi-player, these games are best played on your own as you get so involved in the story and mission that having to rely on playing against someone else who may lose interest along the way would have been awful... :)

Multi-player games have their place but to say almost all games should be like that is just daft... sometimes just taking turns each at games like Deluxe Galaga to try and beat the other persons high score is the best way to go, games don't have to be multi-player to make them enjoyable...:)

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 05:03:18 PM »
Quote from: Khephren;630697
Yeah, all games should be balanced for co-op. Where we differ though, is I call co-op someone having fun in the same room as me, not on a net connection. Split screen all the way for me. The Amiga and c64 taught me that.
+1!
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 05:12:15 PM »
Quote from: Khephren;630697
Yeah, all games should be balanced for co-op. Where we differ though, is I call co-op someone having fun in the same room as me, not on a net connection. Split screen all the way for me. The Amiga and c64 taught me that.

A thousand times this. Give us the ability to play together for F sake.

There was a cracked.com article speculating that a big part of why the wii sells so well, despite being underpowered, is that most people dont care that much about specs.. they do care about being able to play a game together

Offline Franko

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 05:16:55 PM »
Quote from: runequester;630753
A thousand times this. Give us the ability to play together for F sake.

Seems odd that you'd want all or most games to be multi-player... :confused:

There has got to be times when there is no-one else around to play against or times when you just want to chill out and enjoy playing a few games by yourself with no distractions... :)

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 05:40:25 PM »
Quote from: Franko;630756

There has got to be times when there is no-one else around to play against or times when you just want to chill out and enjoy playing a few games by yourself with no distractions... :)

you heard about option?... most games have those, where you can choose to play singel player or with someone. there is really no reason why not to include this in 2011 with most games, except a few games cant have it for understanable reasons. but game companies have force fed you singel player games for years now. as someone mention earlyer up here about the wii, people like to play together. but i am not saying ever game should be co-op. where this can be done it should be done..

i give you here an example of a new game -> Knights Contract.. ( http://ps3.ign.com/objects/074/074899.html ) this is a game that could have co-op and splitscreen. but no instead it have a dumb ai character at your side that you must watch not getting killed. if the game developers had been smart they would have added an option for co-op/splitscreen also not only singel player... as you see the score the game got, its crap.. a wasted opportunity. this game is just one of many newer game out there....

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 05:48:39 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;630730
As for me, I'll vote for the ur-trend: everybody blindly copying what everybody else is doing without any regard to whether it fits in their game or was even good to begin with. That's how all the rest of these trends proliferate.

Excellent point - I've noticed this pattern across the software field. With web browsers, one of them (Chrome?) comes up with tabs in the title bar, and now they all have it. Same thing with Linux-y window managers.

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 06:20:27 PM »
Quote from: koshman;630646

You get sooo much new stuff and sooo little new game(play), still every new GTA game is hyped like it's the second coming.

All GTA games have been top notch, including the mission packs. Boy you picked a wrong game as an example.

I'd say current trend seems to be FPS-games on consoles.. and the pad ain't meant for it pretty much ruining the games. Sacrifices had to be made for favor of player having crappy controls.. usually cpu-opponents have slow reaction times and have very low aimingskills.

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2011, 06:45:17 PM »
Mario - worst platformers ever
Zelda - worst RPGs ever
Pokemon - putrid babyfied gameboy crap that saved Ninbendo from being wiped out in N64 days

:)

Offline Franko

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 06:51:55 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;630776
Mario - worst platformers ever

Not the worst, but not the best either... :)

Zelda - worst RPGs ever

Cobblers... not the best by a long shot but certainly not the worst and not as good as Terranigma or Chrono Trigger... :)

Pokemon - putrid babyfied gameboy crap that saved Ninbendo from being wiped out in N64 days

Never played it, but if it has Pokemon it the title it must be total mince... :D

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 06:56:40 PM »
Worst: Cinematic eye candy over playability.

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »
@ hooligan:

All GTA games have been top notch, including the mission packs. Boy you picked a wrong game as an example.

Did I? Nobody argues that the games are fun. Is anything of what I wrote not true? Hardly. We used to call these data disks or expansions...
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 08:40:46 PM »
doom, quake and anything using 3D in such way.

3D seems to have killed the game creators imagination.
computer games should not aspire to have real life raytracing, just like movies should not try to be documentaries.
Better sorry than worry.

Offline RepoOne

• Show only replies by RepoOne
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
I think the most annoying trends are DLC, consolization/the dumbing-down of previously PC-exclusive games, and the removal of modding tools.

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2011, 08:53:49 PM »
Quote from: Franko;630756

I'm not sure any ones having a pop at single player games. I play single player games more than co-op.
but a lot of single player games, with a bit of tweaking, could have really nice co-op modes as well as a single player. instead you get shitty ai buddies, or tacked on multiplayer modes.

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2011, 09:43:10 PM »
Quote from: Khephren;630810
I play single player games more than co-op.
but a lot of single player games, with a bit of tweaking, could have really nice co-op modes as well as a single player. instead you get shitty ai buddies, or tacked on multiplayer modes.

When I write a single player game I always allow optional co-op mode and optional crappy AI buddies both. :)

And if your AI buddy sux u can kill him and take all his kewl stuff :roflmao:
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA