Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst trends in video games?  (Read 5975 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Worst trends in video games?
« on: April 10, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »
Quote from: A1260;630695
releasing singel player games in 2011. gaming is a social affair it is not the ps2 90's anymore. co-op online is where the fun is. every game should have an option to play it  through with a friend.
I beg to differ. Games that have multiple player characters/allies should support multiplayer (as in Secret of Mana, for example,) but shoehorning it into every game is just going to ruin games that aren't designed for it.

As for me, I'll vote for the ur-trend: everybody blindly copying what everybody else is doing without any regard to whether it fits in their game or was even good to begin with. That's how all the rest of these trends proliferate.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Worst trends in video games?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »
Quote from: A1260;630736
what the games are about today is the story, the way of gaming them is pretty much standardized with a few diffrences here and there.
"What games are about today" is just another empty trendiness. Games are about the same thing they've always been about: having fun. If they're the kind of games that would be enhanced by multiplayer, sure, they should support multiplayer. But if they're the kind of games that would be degraded by it, they shouldn't be forced to support it anyway.
but i dont think you should be afraid of the shoehorning. there are game companies that do what they think is best for their games and always will.
Eh, I'd have more confidence in this if we didn't see game companies awkwardly compromise designs to fit whatever the last blockbuster did all the time.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup