Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy  (Read 4987 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Valis

C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy
« on: April 08, 2011, 05:31:34 PM »
http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbmessage.pl/amiga/189414.shtml

"This is not some 100 beta board scam that you have send a band wire to, this is in the tens of thousands of orders.

Dammy"


Posting this news I saw on another site that I thought was interesting, but don't like to post there because of the negativity.  

Is this true?  There was some calculations as far as cost putting these 10,000s of orders in the $10,000,000.00 range.  

The one good question that was being asked was, if companies were buying these in such large quantities then why are they not for sell anywhere?   Has anyone seen C64x computers for sale at any other place other then the CUSA website?  Where did all these 10,000s of computers go to?
 

Offline HenryCase

Re: C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 05:34:27 PM »
If the figures are true, they're for pre-orders. Hope that answers your questions (it should do, if you think about it).
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan
 

Offline eliyahu

Re: C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 05:40:48 PM »
Quote from: Valis;630138
http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbmessage.pl/amiga/189414.shtml

"This is not some 100 beta board scam that you have send a band wire to, this is in the tens of thousands of orders.

Dammy"


Posting this news I saw on another site that I thought was interesting, but don't like to post there because of the negativity.  

Is this true?  There was some calculations as far as cost putting these 10,000s of orders in the $10,000,000.00 range.  

The one good question that was being asked was, if companies were buying these in such large quantities then why are they not for sell anywhere?   Has anyone seen C64x computers for sale at any other place other then the CUSA website?  Where did all these 10,000s of computers go to?
well... for starters, remember that CUSA is launching this in big-box retail outlet(s) next month.  the initial order(s) for that alone would be in the thousands.  couple that with press coverage from the guardian, the new york times, the LA times, engadget, el reg, and the like, and it's not too hard to conclude that orders in the 'thousands' is merely the beginning.

wait 'til the TV campaign starts up.

i always thought the C64x would be a huge seller; not interested in the 'amiga' kit coming, but, heh, doesn't bother me terribly.  the bottom line is that, for the moment, CUSA looks to be a hugely successful endeavor. congrats to them.

now on to the X1000 -- which is what i'm actually interested in. :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."
 

Offline SysAdmin

  • News posting Auto Agent
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2009
  • Posts: 1393
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Re: C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »
Jack Tramiel got the retro bug and ordered them all for himself. Has anyone asked Jack what he thinks about the C64x?
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.
 

Offline desiv

Re: C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 05:43:30 PM »
If it's including large store orders, which I would think it would be, that's possible.

Now, that doesn't mean that the stores are pre-paying for all of the units and/or there isn't some type of "if we don't sell X many in X days, we will return them and you will take them back / reimburse us"..

That's neither good nor bad..  It's just business...

It will be interesting to see if/where they show up store wise...

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.
 

Offline number6

Re: C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 05:53:35 PM »
Quote from: Valis;630138
http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbmessage.pl/amiga/189414.shtml

"This is not some 100 beta board scam that you have send a band wire to, this is in the tens of thousands of orders.

Dammy"


Posting this news I saw on another site that I thought was interesting, but don't like to post there because of the negativity.  

Is this true?  There was some calculations as far as cost putting these 10,000s of orders in the $10,000,000.00 range.  

The one good question that was being asked was, if companies were buying these in such large quantities then why are they not for sell anywhere?   Has anyone seen C64x computers for sale at any other place other then the CUSA website?  Where did all these 10,000s of computers go to?



Barry posted here that he had spoken with Jeri Ellsworth.
I'm not going to claim that is the connection of which he speaks, but Jeri had some success in marketing with QVC.
Is something along those lines possible?

#6
 

Offline bojay1997

Re: C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 06:03:17 PM »
They are getting a ton of media coverage here in the United States.  Both the LA Times and National Public Radio carried the story that the thing is coming out this morning.  They don't really explain why anyone would want or need one, but the media seems fascinated with the story that a 1980s computer is being re-released in some form or other.
 

Offline jorkany

Re: C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 06:12:47 PM »
Quote from: number6;630150
Barry posted here that he had spoken with Jeri Ellsworth.
I'm not going to claim that is the connection of which he speaks, but Jeri had some success in marketing with QVC.
Is something along those lines possible?

#6

Of course it's possible but AFAIK nobody at CUSA or their fanbase have said anything about QVS or similar. I have read that there is a brick & mortar big box store who will be getting the first orders, but no word on which store that is. My guess is Best Buy, which is probably the biggest consumer electronics big box in Florida - this would make it a natural choice for Barry.
 

Offline number6

Re: C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 06:15:32 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;630153
Of course it's possible but AFAIK nobody at CUSA or their fanbase have said anything about QVS or similar. I have read that there is a brick & mortar big box store who will be getting the first orders, but no word on which store that is. My guess is Best Buy, which is probably the biggest consumer electronics big box in Florida - this would make it a natural choice for Barry.



"QVC's U.S. operations are based in the Studio Park complex, which houses its corporate headquarters, studio and broadcasting facilities. Studio Park is the former corporate offices of Commodore Business Machines."

#6
 

Offline Duce

  • Off to greener pastures
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2009
  • Posts: 1699
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 06:16:30 PM »
Why in God's name would a company be giving financial/sales numbers to a "supporter" they met on the internet that now moderates their forums (Dammy)?  Means nothing until product gets into hands and the reviews start coming in.
 

Offline mongo

Re: C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 06:22:18 PM »
Quote from: Duce;630155
Why in God's name would a company be giving financial/sales numbers to a "supporter" they met on the internet that now moderates their forums (Dammy)?  Means nothing until product gets into hands and the reviews start coming in.


They haven't.

This is what he was told :

Quote
Without going into any details....let's imagine this; There are quite a few large retail chains...all with more than 1000 locations. An opening order of just 20 pcs/ store= 20,000 units right there alone.


Dammy's imagination did the rest.
 

Offline jorkany

Re: C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 06:23:17 PM »
Quote from: Duce;630155
Why in God's name would a company be giving financial/sales numbers to a "supporter" they met on the internet that now moderates their forums (Dammy)?


Or to people who just randomly call up on the phone:

http://videogamewriters.com/commodore-ceo-talks-newstalgia-c64x-sales-and-retro-gaming-6762

Quote
Without introducing myself, I proceeded to spew half-baked questions fueled more by nostalgic glee than journalistic curiosity. Mr. Altman patiently answered them all, passionately divulging information without seeming to care whether I was a reporter for network television news, or just a crazed fan.
 

Offline mongo

Re: C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 06:24:18 PM »
Quote from: number6;630150
Barry posted here that he had spoken with Jeri Ellsworth.
I'm not going to claim that is the connection of which he speaks, but Jeri had some success in marketing with QVC.
Is something along those lines possible?

#6


Ironstone Partners sold the C64DTV, Jeri Ellsworth just designed the hardware for them.
 

Offline number6

Re: C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »
Quote from: mongo;630158
Ironstone Partners sold the C64DTV, Jeri Ellsworth just designed the hardware for them.



And it was sold on QVC.

http://www.qvc.com/scripts/detail.dll?item=E22494&cookie=set

#6
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:36:51 PM by number6 »
 

Offline Digiman

Re: C64x sales top $10,000,000.00 claims Dammy
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 07:47:48 PM »
If it's "sale or return" ouch.....