Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Here is my x5000  (Read 4372 times)

Description:

Offline cpaek72Topic starter

• Show all replies
Here is my x5000
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:52:48 PM »
Ok, so I spent the last few days looking up on the internet how to do basic things in os4.1 FE and this is what I've set up so far.

To my surprise, the computer is absolutely amazing. My main purpose of this was to avoid the habbit of collecting a bunch of vintage machines(I own a 2000, 500 and 1200) and enjoy a bunch of games I played as a kid and not bother with setting up complicated emulators and conflicts when it comes to chipsets, kickstart versions etc. Basically, this machine has exceeded my expectations. Once I got past the crazy monitor issue, everything else went relatively smoothly for a os4 noob. Everything plays great and all my classic software just runs without any issues. People will argue you can do the same thing in windows, but it just misses the feel of running a real amiga like os4. There is no interface to run the emulator - it runs invisible behind the scenes and all the folders look like classic Amiga where all you have to do is click the icon and it just runs.

I purchased a Sapphire r9 270x from Amiga On The Lake and it works flawlessly. By the way Aaron from AOTL is insanely curtious and very helpful. He called me on his cell phone to trouble shoot the original monitor issue I had and he couldn't have given me more confidence to shop with him in the future.

The computer was assembled by Amigakit and it came to me in perfect packaging and condition. The guys there take their time and with the build and it shows.

I also own a 16core HP z840 and Titan X, so the Amiga is definitely a computer that reminds me of when computers were still fun and not perfect. You spend hours trying to figure things out, but that's the charm of it. I haven't had so much fun reading articles about how to's since the the 80's and 90's as a child.

If anyone is on the fence about the x5000, I would whole heartedly recommend a buy. A-Eon, Hyperion, AOTL, Amigakit have all pulled off the impossible in my eyes.

• Show all replies
Re: Here is my x5000
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:01:57 AM »
Can't tell if you're being snarky or actually curious about the commercial. Here are pics from the set of the commercial. Currently in post, which includes editorial.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 07:41:31 AM »
Finally got AvP, Quake2 and RTCW to work. If anyone wants to avoid the research I did, the Warp 3D drivers in the enhancer pack are not compatible with these games. Download Warp 3D from the Amistore and it all works now.

Basically everthing is working and really loving the verstality of the machine.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »
Had to post this last photo tonight of this great wallpaper I found. And I downloaded the playstation emulator - will try out tomorrow. The snes emulator works great as well.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:01:24 AM by cpaek72 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 06:30:56 PM »
I had the same questions before I dove in. For me it was the OS. If you look at the x5000 as a general computer for everyday use then it's going to lose to every option you put against it, but when I started thinking of it as my main Amiga computer that can play all of my classic software flawlessly that's when the paradigm shifted for me. When you really play with OS4 in the ppc environment and not an emulated one, you get that nostalgia back in a huge way. Maybe that's what it ultimately is. Look at it as having the best Amiga computer today and not the best computer.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 07:52:28 PM »
If OS4 supports multicores then the x5000 should be more than enough for me now...The only slow down I get is the Odyssey browser. Heavy pages that have a lot of images sometimes freezes the system like CNN. The video accelleration support needs to be better too and that's another area where performance suffers. Everything else is so snappy it's hard for me to use Windows anymore. Honestly, I wish OS4 was open source to get the community involed to update it faster. I know the developors have to get paid, but the support area is where they need the most improvement and I would pay a support fee to get that...

I've pretty much been using the x5000 as my main computer for a few days now and the only time I need to go back to my workstation is for high-end gaming and the Adobe Creative suite. Today, I'll install VNC and see how the performance is to access some of my software via network.