Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quake II on a 68060 @ 50Mhz?  (Read 9882 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
Re: Quake II on a 68060 @ 50Mhz?
« on: June 14, 2003, 10:38:25 PM »
With what accompanying hardware?

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 11:31:11 AM »
Personally, I'm having trouble believing you could get a decent framerate for Quake 2 on an 060-based machine with any graphics card.  I'll put the definition of 'decent' at something morelike 'acceptable', let's say 25 - 30 fps.

Ok, so Quake 1 ran on an 060 at something like 12fps IIRC.  I'm not sure whether I'd expect Q2 to run better, even though it has OpenGL and hardware acceleration in its favour.  The amount of CPU calls even when hardware acceleration is being used properly is still very high, and the higher spec the graphics card, the better the CPU required to push the data required by the graphics card.

I remember getting [on Q2] 13 - 20 fps on a P166MMX overclocked to 200MHz, with a 3D accelerator graphics card (Permedia 2 based, 4MB), and that was with detail options toned down, and 512x384x16 resolution.

I realise that an 060 generally performs much better than a same-clock x86 processor, but not so much better that it could do Q2 that well.

Hyperion, screenshot please?  I can't remember whether the max fps command works on Q2, if not, a timedemo console result is good, that'll indicate easily enough what the colour depth and resolution is as well.  It won't indicate texture detail though.

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 08:01:50 PM »
One thing people need to take into account, and I'm not saying it's right to have things like this, but with Windows you need to know a good deal more about it in order to get 'very good' performance out of it.  Certainly with Win2k I get what I'd call "very good performance" (My PC specs) compared to any desktop computer (any OS) I've used, although I have never used a high-power Amiga (My Amiga specs).

I've seen that Windows XP can be tweaked to use about the same memory requirements, and just as responsive as Windows 2000, when it's been tweaked a la Mike style :)

I've written up an install guide for Win2k for my home system, which is available on my site.  This is because this kind of stuff isn't that simple to work out on your own.  The main advantages of it are to set up a decent security config, as well as switch off unnecessary background stuff to improve performance.  The less running the better, if you're interested in stability :-)

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 11:01:54 PM »
@ B00tDisk
Out of the box?

Good Lord NO!  :-)  Anyway, I build my own :-)  That aside, no.  If I were to deal with a new PC from a supplier, once I confirmed all the hardware was working, through using the first installation on the box, I'd wipe it clean, repartition accordingly, format as NTFS.  Nothing worse than trying to back up data off a PC because it only has one partition where OS and apps/data are all installed.

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 03:47:42 PM »
@ mdma

You have to wonder whether some people go into business to deliver the worst service possible and still make a profit.