Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ghostbusters I by Activision for Amiga?  (Read 3825 times)

Description:

Offline scuzzb494

Re: Ghostbusters I by Activision for Amiga?
« on: March 26, 2010, 10:00:17 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;549598
The thing is that I use to play the Ghostbusters game by Activision on the C64 and I used to love it, and I exepcted to find it on the Amiga, with enhanced graphics and sound.
The problem is that I cant find it, did it ever existed?
Please dont confuse yourself with Ghostbusters II or The Real Ghostbusters games, I am only looking for the original first version of Ghostbusters for the Amiga, if there was one.

Why would a 1984 game be released on the Amiga... Think about it. I know the platform is old but not that old... And in those days they didn`t release earlier versions later.. Well not very often. By the time the Amiga hit the streets we were up to Ghostbuster II....

And these were the platforms of the day...

Amstrad CPC, Apple II/+, Atari 800/2600/XL/XE, C64, NES, Sega Master System, ZX Spectrum (16/48K)

I have all those computers and probably the versions of Ghostbusters... except possibly the game version for the Apple. You can see all the computers on my website.

' Where do these stairs go.... They go up '..... ' Got a date with a ghost ' Classic.

scuzz
http://www.commodore-amiga-retro.com

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 12:05:41 AM »
Quote from: save2600;549830
We have and here's why: oft times the translations of certain games were not perfect. That and there were some great concepts that were stunted due to them being on a lesser than platform. Literally growing up with computers, the evolution of them has been a goofy thing. We were promised better graphics and gaming, but a lot of the time - those concepts did not come to fruition. We just ended up with different games and different graphics. When the technology finally came about that could actually produce kick ass translations of our favorite games, we were mostly screwed. They simply never happened. That's enough to piss off the Pope I tell 'ya!   lol

And it's why people like me have basements full of real arcade games  ;)

Not sure I understood that.. but what I was saying is that the original 1984 Activision game could not have been released for the Amiga cus the Amiga itself had not been released. The game generally was on datasette/cassette not on floppy. If the game was revamped it was not the original release.... Remember I'm pure retro here.

Bit like releasing Atari classic arcade games on CD for the PS1... Just not the same thing. And having played Manic Miner on the Spectrum it just wasn`t the same on the A500 cus the hardware was completely different.... Keys I mean. I never could play the game on anything other than a Spectrum... Like I wouldn`t play River Raid on anything other than an Atari. Hardware is everything... Thats also why I would never use an emulator and I have a house full of computer games from my very first ZX81 games..... including all the original hardware still working. For me there is no point downloading a classic game to play on a newer platform... Bit like food without taste. Specially when you have been challenged with a Spectrum keyboard.

Saying that I am currently playing Final Fantasy XIII on the PS3 and loving it. I even have an XBOX Elite but I still enjoy my older computers and consoles.

scuzz

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 08:38:23 AM »
Quote from: Cammy;549874
The original Ghostbusters game was released for the Sega Master System in 1987, so there's no reason why they couldn't have ported it to the Amiga around that stage too. The Ghostbusters franchise was still popular enough to have sold the game on the Amiga if it had been released.

My goodness I had played the game to death by 1987... Check your history. The game was released in 1984 which is probably when I got it first. Came out on Datasette/Cassette. Only the later version Ghostbusters II came out on Amiga... And The Real Ghostbusters was something to do with those cartoon versions that even appear on the video of Ghostbusters II the movie.

This is Ghostbuster II box ...

http://www.commodore-amiga-retro.com/amiga/games/a302_game01.jpg

Here is a quote for you... 12th March 1985

[ quote ]

What better way to guarantee a successful software package than to wait until the film, book and T-shirt have all 'gone down a storm', before wading in with your own product while the market's still eager. When Ghostbusters - the movie - began its successful sweep of this country, Activision launched a version of the eponymous computer game for the CBM 64. Now, after the 'Ghostbusting' thrill has died down a bit, the Spectrum version of the game has appeared - but, as Ross Holman and Dave Nicholls are unhappy to report, it just hasn't got the panache of the CBM version. Messrs Holman and Nicholls draw their paranormal conclusions ...

[ end quote ]

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~jg27paw4/yr12/yr12_36.htm

And confirmation of release date...

http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/the-making-ghostbusters

It could easily have been a shooter or platformer, so how did this movie licence become a business sim? We look back at 1984’s licensed monster hit Ghostbusters and talk to designer David Crane…

Format: Commodore 64
Publisher: Activision
Release Date: 1984

“A typical C64 game took nine months from start to finish,” laughs David Crane, the game’s designer. “Ghostbusters took six weeks!” Crane is one of the most prolific developers of the early videogame era. Creating titles such as Little Computer People and Pitfall made him Activision’s star programmer – an intelligent and creative hit-maker whose most left-field ideas still struck gold. “I had just finished Pitfall II when we decided that the Commodore 64 had sold enough units to be a good target for third party games,” says Crane. “Tom Lopez at Activision came to me with the idea of doing a game around the Ghostbusters movie. Tom had heard of the project and, predicting its success, he had negotiated a licence from the studio. It’s common for videogame companies to look  at scripts for films in development and try to decide if they would make a good game. In this case, Tom thought it would be big, but he first brought the idea to the design team to see what we might do with it.”

scuzz