Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: dosbox for amiga 68k?  (Read 27952 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: dosbox for amiga 68k?
« on: February 08, 2013, 07:00:28 AM »
Dosbox is somewhat slower than pc-task, so Id be surprised if you reached even "high end" 286 speed even on the fastest of '060's. Remember that even sam boards struggle to perform at low-mid spec 386 speed.
Running my 68k/os3.x Dosbox under amithlon on a core2duo @ 3.86ghz gives roughly mid spec 486 speed, so being that my amithlon box is probably 100x as fast as the fastest '060.......  :)

Absolutely no chance of running running Win98 or ME. In theory 98 can be installed, but it'll be slow as all heck. ME simply wont work. The only amiga-oid system capable of running 98 at a usable speed is x86 aros both because the speed of the hardware its running on, and because of the Dosbox code paths (and maturity of those code paths) avaiable to it.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:30:29 AM »
For those wanting to run Ultima Underworld on their classic amiga perhaps tsshp (open source project for running ultima underworld and system shock) would give better performance than running it emulated. Having said that though Im not sure how "complete" it is.

Despite this I am looking forward to DosBox AGA still and wish Novacoder all the best with it. After having worked on DosBox a little here and there for the last 5 years though I think I have a pretty good idea of what of expect from it, hence my expectation posted in my last post (thought I should back peddle a little as I didnt mean to, nor want to sound negative).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »
@XDelusion

Howdy :)
Yeah, I had a bit of a break from all things amiga (real life gets in the way sometimes), and stopped using amiga.org for a while once I came back 'cos it got a bit too "vs." for my tastes. Seems to have mellowed a little now though thankfully (touch wood) so I'll probably be around a bit more from now on.
Cant wait until I finish my (very behind schedule) 68k installer for x86 aros, 'cos I'm itching to do some more stuff for aros and 68k amiga.
Novacoder has inspired me :)