Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BlizzardPPC in 1200 without cooling problems?  (Read 452 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWBTopic starter

• Show only replies by LoadWB
Re: BlizzardPPC in 1200 without cooling problems?
« Reply #14 from previous page: May 17, 2017, 11:32:07 PM »
Has anyone ever used heat pipes?  I've been looking around and see what look like PPC-sized heat-sinks to attach to heat pipes to pull the heat out to radiators which would easily fit in the case including a blower.  There are even some laptop assemblies which look like they'd fit in the 1200 case including working around components.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 12:18:05 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;825883
Has anyone ever used heat pipes?  I've been looking around and see what look like PPC-sized heat-sinks to attach to heat pipes to pull the heat out to radiators which would easily fit in the case including a blower.  There are even some laptop assemblies which look like they'd fit in the 1200 case including working around components.

I've thought about it many times but I just can't bring myself to hack an Amiga case, even if it is something simple like vents or an opening. I have one from an old laptop that looks like it would fit my A1200, so I suppose I'll keep it forever until I change my mind one day or buy a Kickstarter case or something. I don't have a PPC but I do have overclocked cards which would benefit from such a mod.

Offline LoadWBTopic starter

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 12:49:50 AM »
Quote from: paul1981;825890
I've thought about it many times but I just can't bring myself to hack an Amiga case, even if it is something simple like vents or an opening. I have one from an old laptop that looks like it would fit my A1200, so I suppose I'll keep it forever until I change my mind one day or buy a Kickstarter case or something. I don't have a PPC but I do have overclocked cards which would benefit from such a mod.

I am considering that if I don't need to use the 1230 SCSI any more, I could run the heat pipe along the inside of the case without modifications, put the radiator and blower in a position which would exhaust out the back trap-door opening.

I could still use that configuration and just move the SCSI port to another location.  Yeah, I'm giving this some serious thought now.

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 01:31:34 PM »
it would be cool if someone made a metal A1200 case.
Better sorry than worry.

Offline dovegrace

• Committed Git
    • Show only replies by dovegrace
    • http://dovegrace.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 09:43:15 PM »
Quote from: orange;827404
it would be cool if someone made a metal A1200 case.

If I still had access to a laser cutter (my customer closed his shop), we could have banged something out...
A1200: 50mhz GVP Jaws II+, OS 3.1, 32mb Fast, 1gb HD, Indivision MKIICR, PCMCIA network
A4000D: stock 030/25, OS 3.9, 16mb Fast, 1gb HD, Picasso II, Ariadne II, IOExtender

Offline ntromans

• Show only replies by ntromans
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 11:28:40 PM »
I ran a Blizzard 060/PPC with BVision in my A1200's case by peppering the trapdoor with holes for ventilation and adding a small fan underneath the upper back vents. I didn't seem to have any overheating problems, but I may have been lucky in this. I also very carefully soldered some wires to the power socket input pins to connect to the pins on the Blizzard, although if anyone was going down that route I'd very strongly advise to check and double check the voltages before plugging it in...

Cheers,
Nigel.