Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dual boot Mac Mini...force boot menu?  (Read 6583 times)

Description:

Offline FingersTopic starter

Dual boot Mac Mini...force boot menu?
« on: May 12, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »
Hi all,

I've been running MorphOS & OS X side-by-side on my G4 Mini for some time.

It's set to boot into MorphOS by default, but I also use OS X quite often.

Now having purchased a wireless keyboard, it's tricky to force the boot menu with Option key...you need to time the keystroke just right, not just hold Option...& it's a pain in the a**!

Is there any way I can set the firmware to make the boot menu appear without a shortcut key? As in, just make it appear by defult every time the machine is powered on?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

PZ.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:25:14 PM by Fingers »

Offline pampers

• Show only replies by pampers
Re: Dual boot Mac Mini...force boot*menu?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »
Quote from: Fingers;692903
Hi all,

I've been running MorphOS & OS X side-by-side on my G4 Mini for some time.

It's set to boot into MorphOS by default, but I also use OS X quite often.

Now having purchased a wireless keyboard, it's tricky to force the boot menu with Option key...you need to time the keystroke just right, not just hold Option...& it's a pain in the a**!

Is there any way I can set the firmware to make the boot menu appear without a shortcut key? As in, just make it appear by defult every time the machine is booted?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

PZ.

AFAIK there is no way to force Mac to show boot menu first. Blame your wireless keyboard, I cannot get to OF with mine as well.

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
Re: Dual boot Mac Mini...force boot menu?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 02:37:34 PM »
Have you upgraded your keyboard within osx?. I recall an upgrade long time ago, and i can access of or the boot menu pressing option on my wireless keyboard. Mine is the version without numeric part. The sad part is that i can't use it under mos, neither my mighty mouse, and there are people who has it running.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 02:48:31 PM by _ThEcRoW »
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 06:38:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies folks :)

By "upgrade", do you mean connecting (the receiver in this case) & doing the keyboard identification process?

If so, then yes I have. However, it isn't an Apple keyboard, it's a Logitech one (if that counts for anything...which I guess it certainly might).

PZ.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »
It probably more of a pain in the ass then its worth, but have you considered adding Linux to the mix?
With a triple boot system, Linux should add a boot menu.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline pampers

• Show only replies by pampers
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 02:47:35 PM »
Quote from: Fingers;693037
Thanks for the replies folks :)

By "upgrade", do you mean connecting (the receiver in this case) & doing the keyboard identification process?

If so, then yes I have. However, it isn't an Apple keyboard, it's a Logitech one (if that counts for anything...which I guess it certainly might).

PZ.

I think Thecrow mixed wireless keyboards with bluetooth one, which works fine under MorphOS but they have to be identified under osx first.

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »
No, when i said upgrade, it was a firmware upgrade of the keyboard under mac os x. The update was done via bluetooth, in order to add some features and removing some problems.
After that upgrade, i was able to boot into open firmware on my mac mini with the wireless keyboard. Later, when i installed mos, it can be accessed the boot menu pressing alt on the wireless keyboard, but once mos booted, the kwyboard dont work there, so i have to rely on a usb keyboard since then.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 04:04:19 AM »
Spewing! :(

At least I can use this keyboard with both OSs, just have the boot menu problem, your problem is considerably worse!

PZ.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 08:21:43 AM »
Personally I've solved this by installing linux.

Linux uses yaboot to provide a boot menu, which I then manually edited to included an entry for MorphOS.

Word of warning though, the bootmenu is a forth script and messing it up will lead to a situation where you need to manually give the boot command from the OF command prompt before you get the chance to try fix it. So this clearly is only an option for the expert users who know their way around OF prompt, linux and modifying existing forth scripts.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »
There is a brilliant guide I followed for setting up double and tripple boot systems.   Where did i get if from ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »
Thanks guys, but installing a third OS that I'd never use just for a boot menu is a bit of an extreme measure for me.

All your comments are appreciated though :)

PZ.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 05:17:38 PM »
Quote from: Fingers;693158
Thanks guys, but installing a third OS that I'd never use just for a boot menu is a bit of an extreme measure for me.

All your comments are appreciated though :)

PZ.

Personally, I use Ubuntu more then OSX. So the option made sense to me.
And I think Piru is exaggerating the difficulty (but not the potential hazards).
I did it and I'm no expert.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 10:47:02 PM »
Quote from: JJ;693153
There is a brilliant guide I followed for setting up double and tripple boot systems.   Where did i get if from ?

I never bothered with boot menus, not on the Pegasos, not on the Mini. But I knew there was some effort(s) done on this on the Peg, and a quick google pointed to this one:
http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/bootmenu

Have no idea of what use it could be though...

EDIT: I'm *not* an expert on these matters (which probably shows), but we who used Pegasos (at least in the early days) had to use OF/SF a bit, and here is something in the line of what I would do if I were you: Here is some info on how OF finds Apple's boot image (read under "default boot device" (BTW, notice that "HD" is an alias (like Amiga's "assign") and not the actual path, read more about actual path on "Open Firmware Capabilities")). I guess this one should be useful for one of the entries in the boot menu, yes? Now find out the MorphOS one. If the concept of OF device-trees, paths, partitions etc is confusing, maybe this (chapters 4, 5) will be of help? I would try to cd and ls my way all the way to the boot image (why not write down the path on some paper as well?). Then, when you have found the exact path through the device-tree to the boot image, and can make a single ls *from the root* to list the place, then you should have what you need for the MorphOS entry in the boot menu. I'd be very careful not to do any "setenv" commands (in step 5 of the boot menu instructions) before actually making sure that *all* your settings/paths in the forth script works as they should (step 4).

Again, haven't actually looked at the script. But if it isn't working, it should be possible to modify...?

Please report back! :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:44:42 PM by takemehomegrandma »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 07:37:31 AM »
I'm a bit lost about whats been said above.

It is already set to boot into MorphOS by default, I was hope to force the boot menu.

Anyway, I've figured out exactly when to hit the alt key.

There seems to be a boot menu program that works once installed on the OS X end, but only available for Intel Macs...hmm.....

PZ.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 12:18:27 PM »
Just press and hold alt key as soon as you hear the chime
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"