Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Petro: 500 units new Amiga 1200 Magic Pac  (Read 87429 times)

Description:

Offline mc68070

• Show only replies by mc68070
Re: Petro: 500 units new Amiga 1200 Magic Pac
« Reply #299 from previous page: December 24, 2012, 04:01:13 PM »
Quote from: nadoom;720162
I suppose what you were expecting was a vaccum packed freeze dried A1200 complete with a certificate of authenticity from mehdi ali himself?
You asked for a NOS A1200 is that not what you received? If not exactly what form of 17 year old computer did you receive?
Have you analysed the dirty rubber pads? maybe its been sitting in an indian school all these years.. or maybe its a natural aging of rubber, I havent done the tests myself..
Yes your amiga has been opened and a UK keyboard put in..
It all points to a criminal conspiracy if you ask me!!

Actually the invoice mail I received clearly says "Of course all units are brand new and original packed, but all of them were stored in a warehouse since 1995".

So yes I was expecting an aged but brand new unit (in my mind brand new meaning without broken seal, keyboard transplantation, dirty pads, open software box, missing screw (?)  etc) as I bought for half price on e--y a used C= A1200 which was in better overall condition (including the rubber pads).

IMHO Petro tried to do something nice for our community but he made the mistake not to check by himself the state of the packs before importing them to Europe. I bet that for the next A1200 batch he's not going to say anymore that they are brand new.

And yes he should accept the returns for those of us who are not satisfied with the condition of the pack they received (obviously not brand new). As it seems to be lots of people on this forum who would be happy with a pack in that condition, he wouldn't have any problem to resell them to them...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:08:51 PM by mc68070 »

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #300 on: December 24, 2012, 04:35:02 PM »
Quote from: pierre;720173
So much untruth!   I have one of these units.  They are NOS.  This is what you got back then in the "Magic Pack"
THERE ARE NO SCREWS missing.  Those that claim that simply just don't know what an a1200 looks like.
The discoloration and other imperfections are from storage.  They have a smell.
THEY WHERE TESTED!  I can tell because the date was set on my unit (2012)  Somebody turned them on and checked them before shipping.  Also yes somebody swapped out the keyboards, presumably to sell the units in a different market...   Heck Amiga technologies was still using old commodore stock for parts and power supplies...                                        The negativity is displaced.  My unit kicks ass, emulations is still not as good as the real deal.  Whats wrong with  you guys?  Petro is an old guy and he wants to do some nice things...  don't you guys get it?  Order one already!

Your A1200 doesn't have a battery backed clock. The date couldn't have been set on your unit.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #301 on: December 24, 2012, 06:37:52 PM »
Quote from: mc68070;720238
As it seems to be lots of people on this forum who would be happy with a pack in that condition, he wouldn't have any problem to resell them to them...

Add me to the list of "if you're unhappy with your purchase and you want to get rid of it"... I'll gladly take it off your hands.  Geeze!  :-/
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline SunSpire

• Show only replies by SunSpire
« Reply #302 on: January 02, 2013, 10:49:46 AM »
Hi, I registered just to let you know that I too had ordered an A1200 from Petro, it arrived in early december. The box is in very good condition w/o damage, the unit itself looks brand new and does not have a single scratch or any yellowing on it.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm totally happy about my purchase and would highly recommend others to order one. In my eyes Petro is an honest person who just wanted to do something good for the community. That this is very difficult with 15 year old stock should be no surprise.

Anyway, if there's really a problem with your unit I'd suggest contacting him, nicely! To assume he is trying to con people is just horrible and won't get you anywhere :(

Last year, Petro had given interviews on a german radio station about these A1200 units and shared a great deal of insider information about his ex-days at commodore and Escom/AT.

Anyhow, just my two cents. Good luck and Happy New Year! :)

SunSpire

---
SunSpire Records
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:53:08 AM by SunSpire »

Offline judorandy

• Show only replies by judorandy
« Reply #303 on: January 02, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »
Hi all,

Hope you are well today. As a new/sealed collector nothing annoys me more than used hardware being passed off as new, let me clear though I have no idea if this is the case here and am not suggesting it. Out of interest, did anyone ask for any pictures before ordering as you can tell in 2 seconds if its real or not. I have some brand new mint 1200's so if anyone would like some pics to compare etc. I am more than happy to provide (i am not selling them btw).

Let us be really clear though, 150 euro for a factory fresh 1200 would be ludicrously low.

cheers,

Offline edd_jedi

• Show only replies by edd_jedi
« Reply #304 on: January 02, 2013, 06:58:45 PM »
Quote from: judorandy;721049
Let us be really clear though, 150 euro for a factory fresh 1200 would be ludicrously low.

I completely agree - I also collect new/sealed games and consoles, and the difference in price between new and used is often 300% or more (sometimes much more) and almost always significantly more than the original retail price. People are crazy if they think they are getting a bad deal here.

Mine was definitely brand new, you can just tell.

Offline judorandy

« Reply #305 on: January 02, 2013, 07:20:55 PM »
I just had a look at the pics posted. I will dig one of mine out and take some pics in the next few days although it may make some people cry so I apologize in advance. although hopefully helpful.
cheers
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:30:26 PM by judorandy »

Offline edd_jedi

• Show only replies by edd_jedi
« Reply #306 on: January 02, 2013, 07:29:31 PM »
I'm not so sure about that. New doesn't always mean perfect. I buy and sell 'new' games consoles, I have had nearly 100 this year alone, and from the many I've seen over the years you just know whether one is new or not. You can't fake the smell, or the freshness of the plastic etc. But new computers definitely can have marks, scratches etc on them. These were boxed up by people in hot sweaty factories, not by robots in a dust free environment. And they've been sitting in warehouses and shipped around the world for nearly 20 years.

Offline judorandy

« Reply #307 on: January 02, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
Quote from: edd_jedi;721057
I'm not so sure about that. New doesn't always mean perfect. I buy and sell 'new' games consoles, I have had nearly 100 this year alone, and from the many I've seen over the years you just know whether one is new or not. You can't fake the smell, or the freshness of the plastic etc. But new computers definitely can have marks, scratches etc on them. These were boxed up by people in hot sweaty factories, not by robots in a dust free environment. And they've been sitting in warehouses and shipped around the world for nearly 20 years.

Totally agree, you know instantly. I have been collecting for 15 years and like your friend Petro work in the industry. I am only commenting on the pictures of the two I looked at, have a look at the pics I will post and then see what you think.
cheers,

Offline Hellraiser

• Show only replies by Hellraiser
« Reply #308 on: January 19, 2013, 10:07:49 PM »
Well i am a very happy Amiga retro user right now!Just checked my email and saw that Petro sent me an invoice for an amiga 1200 magic pack from the second batch!!!

Offline Kitch

• Show only replies by Kitch
« Reply #309 on: January 19, 2013, 11:05:37 PM »
Received my email today as well.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #310 on: January 20, 2013, 12:15:50 AM »
<= has not received one :(

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #311 on: January 20, 2013, 01:40:46 AM »
Hi,

I really didn't think that it would happen since Petro sold us out back in 92. This guy was in it only for the money. This was brought up in 2009, did any one hear anything else since then?

Probably not.

If Petro would have stood up and said this wasn't right back in 92/95 maybe the Amiga wouldn't be dead.

The only thing I have for Petro is the one finger salute.
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #312 on: January 20, 2013, 02:23:36 AM »
Quote from: smerf;723251
Hi,

I really didn't think that it would happen since Petro sold us out back in 92. This guy was in it only for the money. This was brought up in 2009, did any one hear anything else since then?

Probably not.

If Petro would have stood up and said this wasn't right back in 92/95 maybe the Amiga wouldn't be dead.

The only thing I have for Petro is the one finger salute.

Its very clear You have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. So you should refrain from speaking of things you know nothing about. As most Amiga "insiders" reading your comments make you look foolish.

If it wasnt for Petro there would be NO AMIGA NG, NO OS 3.5+ etc.   Petro has done more than most for the amiga platform.

Next time you go to slander people (which didnt the mods warn about on another thread?) do your research first instead of grabbing theories out of your you  know what.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:42:36 AM by magnetic »
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Xon

• Show only replies by Xon
« Reply #313 on: January 20, 2013, 01:59:37 PM »
Email from Petro today! =)

Offline Lord Aga

• Show only replies by Lord Aga
« Reply #314 on: January 20, 2013, 02:06:34 PM »
One more here :)
Glory to the loud-mouthed Scotsman !