Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Petro: 500 units new Amiga 1200 Magic Pac  (Read 87428 times)

Description:

Offline nadoom

Re: Petro: 500 units new Amiga 1200 Magic Pac
« Reply #284 from previous page: December 23, 2012, 11:12:56 PM »
@Blinx123
Ok I have heard enough of this, what exactly are you going on about here? You know that he sold them as is, and you know they the hardware is ancient. One thing is coming on here and trying to get ideas about how to fix your hardware another thing is coming on here and complaining that the hardware that was sold to you 'as is' 'is as'.

I also do not like the way you have constantly been on petros case over this, this guy who has basically done many of us a massive favour when he could have just not given a s**t about the amiga community.

Good luck with taking him to the european court of human rights!

PS All the caps on my Petro 1200 were fine.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 11:14:58 PM by nadoom »
?وإلل وإلل وإلل, وأت د وي هف هر ثهن

Offline nadoom

« Reply #285 on: December 23, 2012, 11:22:37 PM »
Quote from: mc68070;720136
And what's the explanation for the missing screws under the Amigas, for the UK keyboard layouts which don't match the stickers under the units, for the rubber pads which are dirty, for the open software boxes inside... ?

I suppose what you were expecting was a vaccum packed freeze dried A1200 complete with a certificate of authenticity from mehdi ali himself?

You asked for a NOS A1200 is that not what you received? If not exactly what form of 17 year old computer did you receive?

Have you analysed the dirty rubber pads? maybe its been sitting in an indian school all these years.. or maybe its a natural aging of rubber, I havent done the tests myself..

Yes your amiga has been opened and a UK keyboard put in..

It all points to a criminal conspiracy if you ask me!!

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #286 on: December 24, 2012, 12:18:08 AM »
Quote from: nadoom;720162
I suppose what you were expecting was a vaccum packed freeze dried A1200 complete with a certificate of authenticity from mehdi ali himself?

There are people in this world who are just that stupid, and then are stupid enough to sue and pay lobbyists to pretend that such activity (selling 15 year-old equipment without a warranty or guarantee) is such a horrendous offense to the consumer that there MUST, ABSOLUTELY MUST be legislation to protect stupid -- or perhaps impulsive or overly romantic -- people from themselves.

That notwithstanding, I am *not* saying that people plonking down $150 are stupid for not expecting a gamble; the opposite, actually.  But what I am saying is that people who ignore the old "caveat emptor" wind up ruining opportunities like these 1200s when people become unwilling to sell because of legal requirements and just dump them in a bin, instead.  Though the latter might also be subject to some ridiculous taxes (excuse me, environmental impact charges,) as well.

What I haven't seen in this thread, and forgive me if I missed it amongst some of the noise, is Petro refusing to replace defective units.  I haven't seen an invoice, so if it's on the invoice then I withdraw my claim.  I'd be disappointed to drop $150 on a gamble of whether the equipment works or not and cannot be replaced if it doesn't.

Offline A6000

• Show only replies by A6000
« Reply #287 on: December 24, 2012, 12:32:58 AM »
The tone of some of these replies suggests that if you open up a new,old stock box and find an old cheese sandwich instead of a computer, you still have no right to complain.

If the units are used and refurbished then it should have said so in the sales description.

Offline nadoom

« Reply #288 on: December 24, 2012, 01:32:48 AM »
They are not used, and they are clearly not refurbished.

They have however been sat somewhere for the last 17 years, I expect they opened the components to ensure they are in one piece, which is nice of them don't you think?

And as for the keyboards not matching the stickers, ( mine is a UK keyboard but a PL poland? A1200) this could have been a simple case of AT ( who were probably on there knees towards the end) scavenging parts to fill orders... who knows..

I guess if people will insist on thinking the worst of Petro then they will find a way!

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #289 on: December 24, 2012, 02:00:44 AM »
Quote from: A6000;720165
The tone of some of these replies suggests that if you open up a new,old stock box and find an old cheese sandwich instead of a computer, you still have no right to complain.

If the units are used and refurbished then it should have said so in the sales description.

You wont find that bit of information in the sales description because the criminal mastermind Petro has been coning us all along, what he's actually been doing is driving around Europe in his big van collecting as many used and dirty Escom packs as possible, in order to bring back to his secret layer in Germany for a quick clean up and then flogging them on!

The discoloration to some of these Escom packs has got nothing to do with them sitting in a warehouse enduring changes in climate over a 15 year period, absolutely nothing at all!

Offline A6000

« Reply #290 on: December 24, 2012, 02:01:07 AM »
Quote from: nadoom;720168

I expect they opened the components to ensure they are in one piece, which is nice of them don't you think?

Not as nice as powering up the units to see if they actually worked.
We have all had to replace drive belts on old computers, did they even do that?
From what I have read here, they did not even blow the dust off the boxes, never mind "opened them up".

Offline A6000

« Reply #291 on: December 24, 2012, 02:05:41 AM »
Quote from: Akiko;720169
what he's actually been doing is driving around Europe in his big van collecting as many used and dirty Escom packs as possible, in order to bring back to his secret layer in Germany for a quick clean up and then flogging them on!

That's why it took 17 years to find these units.:)

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #292 on: December 24, 2012, 03:20:06 AM »
Quote from: A6000;720170
We have all had to replace drive belts on old computers, did they even do that?
Really? All of us?  
I've had computers for a long time and I haven't had to replace a drive belt..
Not saying it hasn't happened for people, but "We've all had to..."??

And I would be INCREDIBLY surprised if he went to that effort..

But that's just me.. (.. and apparently a lot of other people here..)

But a few of you expected more...

C'est la vie..  (as they say..)

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline pierre

• Show only replies by pierre
« Reply #293 on: December 24, 2012, 03:34:16 AM »
So much untruth!   I have one of these units.  They are NOS.  This is what you got back then in the "Magic Pack"
THERE ARE NO SCREWS missing.  Those that claim that simply just don't know what an a1200 looks like.
The discoloration and other imperfections are from storage.  They have a smell.
THEY WHERE TESTED!  I can tell because the date was set on my unit (2012)  Somebody turned them on and checked them before shipping.  Also yes somebody swapped out the keyboards, presumably to sell the units in a different market...   Heck Amiga technologies was still using old commodore stock for parts and power supplies...                                        The negativity is displaced.  My unit kicks ass, emulations is still not as good as the real deal.  Whats wrong with  you guys?  Petro is an old guy and he wants to do some nice things...  don't you guys get it?  Order one already!

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #294 on: December 24, 2012, 05:18:58 AM »
Quote from: nadoom;720161
I also do not like the way you have constantly been on petros case over this, this guy who has basically done many of us a massive favour when he could have just not given a s**t about the amiga community.

So exchanging musty old computers for money is philanthropy now?
What an abused lot "the amiga community" must be for that to be considered a favour.

Offline pierre

• Show only replies by pierre
« Reply #295 on: December 24, 2012, 06:12:59 AM »
And it's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there,
Believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare.
And it's just a box of rain, or a ribbon for your hair;
Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.

Offline midway

• Show only replies by midway
« Reply #296 on: December 24, 2012, 06:40:27 AM »
hmmmmm. Mine worked well, out of the box. While it looks very nice and new, there were some screws missing, but so what ? And the rubber feet were dirty... that doesnt mean it was used! It even smelled of new Amiga ! The cardboard box looks very used, but so what ? Hey, it works, the Amiga is nice and white, and thats what counts ! 150 Euros is not much, compared to what the Amiga cost once, compared to PPC and 68060 Hardware prices nowadays !
Thank you for your efforts and honesty Petro ! I appreciate you doing what you did, for a lot of happy Amigans!

Offline Hellraiser

• Show only replies by Hellraiser
« Reply #297 on: December 24, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »
Quote from: Akiko;720169
You wont find that bit of information in the sales description because the criminal mastermind Petro has been coning us all along, what he's actually been doing is driving around Europe in his big van collecting as many used and dirty Escom packs as possible, in order to bring back to his secret layer in Germany for a quick clean up and then flogging them on!

The discoloration to some of these Escom packs has got nothing to do with them sitting in a warehouse enduring changes in climate over a 15 year period, absolutely nothing at all!

You got it right mate...not only does he collect them with his van but he also sells them so that the EU bureaucrats cannot arrest him for including VAT and not giving 50 years technical support and lifetime return to seller guarantee.:banana:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #298 on: December 24, 2012, 12:52:38 PM »
Guess it's a matter of perspective.

If I was buying one under the impression it was NOS, in plastic wrap in a pristine box just like it would have been in the 90's had I bought it new and it showed up and was not that to a tee, I would be very ticked off.

He's not charging a fortune for them, and he's not billing them as the second coming of Jesus.  They are old A1200's that were sitting God knows where for nearly 20 years.  If it works and the only gripe is that there's a screw missing, it could be worse.

I've never had a problem finding cheap A1200's locally, and I've lost interest in the legacy machines, but if I hadn't I probably would have ordered one of these and rolled the dice.

Offline mc68070

• Show only replies by mc68070
« Reply #299 on: December 24, 2012, 04:01:13 PM »
Quote from: nadoom;720162
You asked for a NOS A1200 is that not what you received? If not exactly what form of 17 year old computer did you receive?
Have you analysed the dirty rubber pads? maybe its been sitting in an indian school all these years.. or maybe its a natural aging of rubber, I havent done the tests myself..
Yes your amiga has been opened and a UK keyboard put in..
It all points to a criminal conspiracy if you ask me!!

Actually the invoice mail I received clearly says "Of course all units are brand new and original packed, but all of them were stored in a warehouse since 1995".

So yes I was expecting an aged but brand new unit (in my mind brand new meaning without broken seal, keyboard transplantation, dirty pads, open software box, missing screw (?)  etc) as I bought for half price on e--y a used C= A1200 which was in better overall condition (including the rubber pads).

IMHO Petro tried to do something nice for our community but he made the mistake not to check by himself the state of the packs before importing them to Europe. I bet that for the next A1200 batch he's not going to say anymore that they are brand new.

And yes he should accept the returns for those of us who are not satisfied with the condition of the pack they received (obviously not brand new). As it seems to be lots of people on this forum who would be happy with a pack in that condition, he wouldn't have any problem to resell them to them...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:08:51 PM by mc68070 »