Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Need repair advice for C15 on an A500  (Read 7260 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
Re: Need repair advice for C15 on an A500
« on: April 29, 2011, 05:18:41 PM »
If it's a 0.1uf Capacitor and the voltage rating on it is say for example 16v then you can easily replace it with any other 0.1uf capacitor as long as the voltage rating is at least 16v... :)

Just remember to get the positive an negative terminals round the right way... ;)

As a general rule when replacing capacitor match the capacitance value ie: if it's 0.1uf then always replace with a 0.1uf but the voltage rating must always be of an equal value of higher & NEVER lower ie: if the voltage is 16v then replace with one that has a 16v rating or higher... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 06:34:54 PM »
Quote from: JimS;634409
Actually, it's unlikely that a capacitor that size is polarized. It's just a noise decoupling capacitor. It's good practice to put those from 5v to gnd close to the chips. You'd probably run OK without it anyway.

Ooooh... dunno about that, here's a wee pic of one I had to replace in an old Hi Fi about 3 weeks ago... ;) (very rarely do I come across one's that aren't polarised)... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 07:35:51 PM »
Quote from: arttu80;634422
Sorry for maybe little offtopic question, but may I ask what are most likely symptoms in Amiga if some capacitor go bad?

The only problems I've ever came across in the Amiga when it comes to capacitors has been Video problems (eg:wavy lines/patterns on the display) and once on a friend of mines A1200 with poor Audio quality... :)

You can't just generally put down problems on the Amiga to "bad capacitors" as at the end of the day it all depends on what the problem/symptoms are... ;)

Edit: Just noticed what AppleHammer said... That too... :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:37:27 PM by Franko »

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
Quote from: AppleHammer;634429
These days 0.1uF (100nF) capacitors are often non-polarised, ceramic surface-mount devices.

From the A500+ service manual, and assuming this information is the same as the A500 service manual, the component in question is a non-polarised, ceramic, through-hole axial component.

AH.

Been many moons since I last looked inside an A500 or looked up the service sheets on them, but true... even in the A1200 most capacitors are non-polarised... :)

Trouble with Amiga specs sheets is they didn't adhere to them very well during manufacture, for example there are two different REV 1D.4 motherboards that I know of, seemed to depend when and where they were manufactured... ;)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:38:20 PM »
Quote from: BosonMichael;634462
Well, that's the problem... I don't know what the voltage rating is.

I've got the old service manual somewhere, I'll need to try and find it and check for you (been about 12 years since I last saw it) as some of the others have said it's most likely the non-polarised type and these sometimes have no indication of the voltage rating on them... :)

Hopefully I'll get back to you soon with the details or perhaps someone else can supply them in the meantime... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 10:45:23 PM »
In the meantime you might like to look through this online Service Manual for the A500+, If I recall correctly though I don't think it contains a part list... :)

A500+ Service Manual...

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:07:14 PM »
Found it unfortunately It's the A500Plus service manual I have too... :(

I couldn't say therefore if C15 is different from the original A500's C15 Capacitor but the only details given in this service manual are...

C15 = MLC AXIAL Z5U .01uf

(If I recall correctly the Z5U means that this capacitor has a 50v rating)

However as you have said that your one is 0.1uf then it looks like C15 in an A500 and C15 in an A500plus are two entirely different sized components... :)

If the capacitor is the Un-Polarosed type then these generally have a minimum rating of 50v (usually a lot higher), hopefully someone else can supply you with the appropriate details... sorry... :(

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 02:26:31 PM »
Quote from: JimS;634539
Interesting.... I can't recall coming across an electrolytic capacitor smaller than 1uf...

I've got bags full of em 0.33uf, 0.47uf etc... :)

It's the opposite for me I very rarely come across the UnPolarised type... :)

On the subject of Radio Shack...

You'd have a hard job doing doing that here... :(

They shut down all the Radio Shack stores (TANDY) in the UK back in the late 90's ... :(

Loved going into those little treasure troves shops, now all we have left is Maplins and even though the stores are bigger components & electrical DIY are only a tiny part of them these days as they are more like PC/Gadget stores these days... :(

Best place these days to get components and the like is CPC/Farnell but they are only mail order... :(

I miss being able to wander round them stores and buying components I didn't really need just because I thought "those look interesting wonder what circuit I can build with some of those"... :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 02:28:52 PM by Franko »

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »
Hi Smerf... :)

Yup, how many folks would go to all this bother to fix a PC !!!

Not many I guess, they'd just pop down the nearest discount store or ASDA/WallMart and buy a new one... :(

Where's the fun in that... ;)

Cheers

Franko

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 04:10:02 PM »
@ AppleHammer

I avoid Maplins at all costs these days, the trained monkeys they employ sometimes can't even work the till let alone have a scooby doo about what your looking for. It's a far cry from years ago when they had to compete with Tandy and the staff were knowledgeable & friendly back then... ;)

CPC's minimum charge these days is now £45 for free delivery, I used to have a business account with them that avoided that but these days I only have a customer account and end up ordering stuff I don't need at the time just to get a few components that cost pennies... :(

I miss Tandy and all the little private Component shops that used to be around, but as the manager of my local Maplins explained to me a number of years ago, there is no longer the market for electronic hobbyists and almost everything these days is of a "throw away value" as it's often cheaper to buy something new than to have it repaired... :(

Doesn't help those of us in Amigaland or who still like to repair things or build our own circuits but then that's the way of the world these days not many can be bothered learning how things work let alone repairing them and the electronics hobbyist market is like the Amiga market, fading into obscurity... :(

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 05:41:52 PM »
@ TheBilgeRat

Got thrown out of me local branch of the Communist Party back in 89 cos I said they were too soft (well that & I kept insisting that for all to be equal every member should be given an A1000 and the PC that was being used to run the place should be replaced with a USA made A500)... :(

I consume plenty of stuff, just not the stuff that "they" want me to consume, we'll see who has the last laugh when the world ends in 2012 and I'm safely tucked up in me bunker with all me miggies/ bagfulls of components and jars of Vindaloo paste and me squirrels for company... :)

You all doomed, Doomed I tell you... :eek:

Now excuse me while I remove some of em dead bodies of door to door salesmen from me bunker and bury them in the back garden with the local Tax Inspectors & Estate Agents and a few others who dared knock on my door... :)

Oooh... there's the doorbell... rudy Jehovah Witnesses or Mormons I'll bet... now where me baseball bat and shovel... :furious: