Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wiped?  (Read 1309 times)

Description:

Offline branneyTopic starter

• Show only replies by branney
Wiped?
« on: November 16, 2004, 12:45:40 AM »
Hi, I had an A1200 from 1993 to 2000, then suddenly there was no grahpics output.

I had 1.6GB of stuff, so I bought another A1200 off eBay. The guy thought the floppy did not work, but when I got it it worked fine! So I tried to mount my 1.6GB HDD, and ended up wiping the partition info in HDToolbox.

I remember an old data recovery program I used once after a crash during defrag. Anyone know the name? Is it on Aminet? Can I run it with WinUAE?

I am hoping to get the stuff all on emulation, then I will sell my PPC card etc, so any help appreciated!

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: Wiped?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 01:08:37 AM »
Try RDBRecover.

http://ftp.plig.org/pub/aminet/disk/salv/RDBrecov.lha

Ideally you really want to have saved your RDB to restore it, but this might be able to find it.

There are other RDB recovery tools on Aminet, just search for RDB.

(Edited: Posted wrong tool.)

Offline metalman

• Show only replies by metalman
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 01:51:35 AM »
try the rgbrecover program kennyR suggested,

if that doesn't work then use HDToolbox to enter the partion information EXACTLY as you remember it was. The data is there, if you can duplicate (or recover) the RGB file.

Lan astaslem
The Peacemaker

Offline branneyTopic starter

• Show only replies by branney
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 03:01:11 PM »
i am afraid i dont have the partition info. but thanks very much for the link! now, the 2nd problem...

winuae will not recognise the HDD because it is not already amiga formatted (since i wiped the rdb). the pc does not seem to power the 2.5" drive i also tried (out of interest) - is a power cable missing from 3.5" specs?

i have A1200 with working floppy, wb3.0
i am not sure if the IDE interface works. i also have eyetech ide buffer from when i had a cd-rom. dont know if it still works either

i know which way to stick the red pin 1 on the ide cable to the HDD, but which way is pin 1 on the amiga? i have a feeling it is top-right (towards power supply)

it has been a long time, so some stupid questions. i have 2 options...

1. is crossdos built in to workbench? how do i mount/activate it? should i then format a floppy to 720k and put on rdb program, then run from a floppy workbench?

2. i could attempt to install workbench on the old 2.5" drive i have, then use the interface to run the 3.5" alongside. do you think this is more complicated still?

thanks for the help guys. i forgot how great the amiga community was!

Offline doctorq

• Show only replies by doctorq
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 03:54:26 PM »
I also lost my RDB about a month ago. However, the problem was easily fixed. I used SFSSalv which can be found in the sfs_beta archive on Aminet. This little proggy gave me all the info I needed to put into HDToolbox. After I saved my settings, every partition was back. All I needed to type in was the start and end cylinder of each partition. Try it out, you might be lucky :-)

Btw. what filesystem did you use on the harddrive? If you remember which you had, it might help you to place this filesystem on your Workbench disk as well.