Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Workbench help  (Read 2433 times)

Description:

Offline carreraTopic starter

• Show only replies by carrera
Workbench help
« on: August 25, 2004, 03:15:11 PM »
Hi, I recently bought an Amiga 500+ from eBay, but it didn't come with it's workbench disks, does anyone know what version of workbench the A500+ should have? and where I may find it.

Thanks,

Chris.

Offline LP

• Show only replies by LP
    • http://bailout.dk
Re: Workbench help
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 03:22:13 PM »
or
2.0 (As far as I remember, get someone else to confirm this)

And the workbench isn't just something you just find :-)

You've got to buy it...
Try e-bay :-)

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 04:24:22 PM »
I've tried searching eBay, but with little success, I can only find people selling version 3, which as far as I know is A1200 only . But I shall keep searching. If anyone has a version of 1.3 or 2.0 that they're willing to sell, then please make yourself known.

Offline LocalH

• Show only replies by LocalH
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 04:32:48 PM »
When you boot the machine up, if you get a white screen with a hand holding a floppy disk, you need 1.3. If you get a purple screen with a rainbow checkmark and an animation of a disk going into a floppy drive, you need 2.x. I recommend finding 2.1 if you can, rather than 2.0.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 04:36:50 PM »
Well, you need to know which version your ROM is on the A500+. I believe they originally shipped with the 1.3 ROM, but it was fairly common for users or dealers to change them up to 2.04.  You need to run a Workbench that matches the first number of your ROM.  (So, in other words, the 1.3 ROM can run Workbench 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3... while the 2.04 ROM can run Workbench 2.04, 2.05, or 2.1.)  

Unfortunatly, you're going to have to buy it, or find a friend who has a configured Amiga.  Normal PCs can't write to Amiga disks, so even if you find a disk image, you have no way to get it to the Amiga....  :-(

Offline slestebe

• Show only replies by slestebe
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 04:47:59 PM »
I have bought several versions of Workbench on ebay.
Both 1.3 and 2.04, and if you are lucky I think I have a original Workbench 2.04 and extras disk for the Amiga.
I will check when I get home.
(I know I have more than one set of workbench 2.04, but I'm not shure if All the Workbench disk works, but if they do, I have one you could buy!)

Offline slestebe

• Show only replies by slestebe
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 05:11:15 PM »

Offline BoingBoss

• Show only replies by BoingBoss
    • http://home.comcast.net/~doom2fan/
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 06:42:46 PM »
Hi Ilwrath,

Well, you need to know which version your ROM is on the A500+.

No he does not, because all Amiga 500+ computers come with the Kickstart 2.04 ROM, the full ECS Chipset, and one MB of Chip ram.  This is what the "+" means.

I believe they originally shipped with the 1.3 ROM, but it was fairly common for users or dealers to change them up to 2.04.

Not true!  We are talking about an Amiga 500 "PLUS" computer, not the normal Amiga 500 model.  It is fairly common for users and dealers to REMOVE the Kickstart 2.04 ROM and the Super Denise Chip before selling their Amiga 500+ computer.  They would then replace those ICs with a Kickstart 1.3 ROM and a regular, version 6 or 8 Denise chip.  These same jerks would then sell the Kickstart 2.04 ROM and the Super Denise chips separately on eBay.  The Amiga 500+ is a rare computer and was only sold in Europe.  I am looking for one in mint condition with its original new or like new box.   :-D
My favorite TV shows:  Star Trek Voyager, Forever Knight, Stargate SG1, Married with Children, As Time Goes By, Mr. Bean, Smallville, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Xena

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 06:56:28 PM »
Yeah, so rare I was looking at the two I've got this afternoon, lol.

Yes they had Kickstart 2.  It's not illegal to get a copy of the Workbench disks as you own the real computer with the Rom in!  In other words try to find someone with them near you - the 2.1 copy that came with the A600 is the most recent, I only have 2.04.

WB 2 can do most of the stuff WB 3 can, plus it's easy to fit 2Mb of Chip ram, making for a much nicer serious machine than a similarly equipped A500 (both mine have 2Mb ;-)).

EDIT: That first line sounds like I just got 'em, but thats not the case - got one in about '97 as a games machine for £30, and got given the other :-)
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 09:21:47 PM »
slestebe - thanks for the eBay link, but I prefer to keep my eBay shopping within the UK, I'll keep looking.

Thanks to all of you, I now know that I want to find a WB 2 version. Again if anyone within the UK feels like selling me a copy, I'm all ears.  :-)

Offline Holley

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 09:50:51 PM »
I'll have a look tommorow, might have a spare set anyway ...

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 10:24:12 PM »
Well, you need to know which version your ROM is on the A500+.

No he does not, because all Amiga 500+ computers come with the Kickstart 2.04 ROM

[...]

Not true! We are talking about an Amiga 500 "PLUS" computer, not the normal Amiga 500 model. It is fairly common for users and dealers to REMOVE the Kickstart 2.04 ROM [...]

So, therefore, he STILL needs to determine which ROM it has... no?  ;-)

all Amiga 500+ computers come with the Kickstart 2.04 ROM, the full ECS Chipset, and one MB of Chip ram. This is what the "+" means.

Well, they may all have ORIGINALLY came that way...  I'm not from Europe, and don't pay much attention to their varient models...

Offline BoingBoss

• Show only replies by BoingBoss
    • http://home.comcast.net/~doom2fan/
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 10:25:45 PM »
Hi carrera,

Check your pmail.   :-)
My favorite TV shows:  Star Trek Voyager, Forever Knight, Stargate SG1, Married with Children, As Time Goes By, Mr. Bean, Smallville, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Xena

Offline LocalH

• Show only replies by LocalH
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 10:34:36 PM »
So, therefore, he STILL needs to determine which ROM it has... no? ;-)

Which is where what I posted comes in handy. ;-)

Offline Holley