Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Learning coding (for a new career) on MorphOS  (Read 14362 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show all replies
Re: Learning coding (for a new career) on MorphOS
« on: September 27, 2014, 09:28:08 PM »
@dandelion

If you are new to programming and want to learn for a new career, then let me suggest Java (on a different platform obviously). It's very user friendly and suitable for beginners, and you can actually build a career on that one alone. And then C++ and C# etc is very similar so you could "easily" migrate to those.

:)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:38:30 PM by takemehomegrandma »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show all replies
Re: Learning coding (for a new career) on MorphOS
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 11:37:08 PM »
Quote from: dandelion;774053
Some very useful comments here. Thank you.  Out of Java, C# and C++, would you say they all help you learn to code without developing the bad habits you refer to?

Java indeed has some "safety nets" connected to it. Personally, I think this is a good thing for newbies. I understand that there is a flip side to this coin (but maybe you shouldn't worry to much about "bad habits" before you have had any chance to develop *any* kind of habits at all?). But Java is today used for introduction to programming at many universities, probably for this reason. And, the documentation and newbie information for Java is kind of massive online. Java is a good newbie language! :)

IMHO: Learn the methodology in objective programming, learn to "think the think". This will benefit you whatever language you later will dive further into. Learn how to crawl, then how to walk the walk, before trying to walk at the catwalk. Java is a good stepping stone for this IMHO.

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)