Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help with DHCP not working (non-Amiga)  (Read 1636 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Help with DHCP not working (non-Amiga)
« on: February 11, 2011, 04:55:40 PM »
This is not Amiga related, but some  of the people here are smarter than the average computer user, so I  thought I would ask for help/advice here regarding a recent problem I am  having.

My G4 PowerBook (running MacOSX, not MorphOS2.x) has recently been having problems  getting a valid IP address to connect to my wireless router and access  the Internet.  I noticed that sometimes the PowerBook would give itself a  "self-assigned" IP address and could not access the Internet, but it  was an intermittent problem that would correct itself after a reset of  the computer, the router, or the cable modem, but now for the last two  days, I have not been able to get my PowerBook connected.  I have tried  all kinds of fixes, including renewing the DHCP lease, resetting the  computer, the router, the cable modem, trying a manual IP address,  trying a manual IP address but still using DHCP, and even connecting the  PowerBook to the router via an Ethernet cable, or directly connecting  to the Cable Modem via an Ethernet cable and all have failed to give me  an Internet connection.  The PowerBook sees all the wireless networks in  my neighborhood and I have even tried to connect to other unsecured  wireless networks, but get the same "self-assigned" IP address that  starts with the numbers 169.xxx.xxx.xxx and no Internet access.

I  am beginning to think it may be a hardware failure of some kind.  I  went to my ISP's chat support to get help, but my Windows desktop  crashed to the Blue Screen of Death in the middle of the session.  The  support person was leaning toward a hardware failure of some kind in the  PowerBook, but that seems strange since it can see all the wireless  networks, but just not obtain a valid IP address from any of them to  make an Internet connection.

Any ideas about what I should try next or what might be wrong?

Thanks is advance.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)