Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Guru Book 2nd Edition petition  (Read 10471 times)

Description:

Offline olsen

Re: Amiga Guru Book 2nd Edition petition
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 07:56:22 PM »
Quote from: Trev;617029
I meant that the torrent was unknown until Ralph himself publicized it. Perhaps it was common knowledge in Europe. There's a bit of a divide between the European and American Amiga communities.

OK, I understand what you mean.

Regardless, Ralph's response was childish. It only served to alienate his English-speaking neighbors.

Well, Ralph is Ralph. He keeps his own council.

Could be that time has mellowed him a bit and changed his opinion on publishing the book. By now it's almost common knowledge that selling the rare and the printed word will benefit from the attention generated by piracy. Which is a weird consequence of something that isn't supposed to be helpful in the first place.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:00:51 PM by olsen »

Offline Damion

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 08:49:44 PM »
Ralph has a real talent for expressing highly technical ideas in a way that's still accessible to the average computer nerd. Despite his knowledge and status, he's also a very nice guy and has politely answered my silly questions anytime I've asked. I'd be absolutely thrilled if the book was published.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 08:54:06 PM »
I wish we could create a bounty for a release of  a pdf.
How much do you think would be enough?
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 11:35:34 PM »
Maybe someone should ask him? Ultimately, it's his decision. :)
Ed.

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 09:25:37 PM »
I have both - the german 1st edition and the english 2nd edition of the guru book. 1 was a reprint and 2 was a very expensive item on eBay.
It´s a really good book, but don´t expect too much from it. I value the CATS documentation (Commodore Amiga Reference Series, Addison Wesley) more than the Guru Book.

Offline nicholasTopic starter

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 12:07:10 AM »
Quote from: lsmart;617283
I have both - the german 1st edition and the english 2nd edition of the guru book. 1 was a reprint and 2 was a very expensive item on eBay.
It´s a really good book, but don´t expect too much from it. I value the CATS documentation (Commodore Amiga Reference Series, Addison Wesley) more than the Guru Book.

I have the complete series of RKRM's 1st, 2nd and 3rd Editions but none of the CATS stuff.

I rate Ralph's book above the RKRM's in some aspects (Not that I've downloaded the torrent one must understand. ;) )
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 12:35:16 AM »
Quote from: Damion;617074
Ralph has a real talent for expressing highly technical ideas in a way that's still accessible to the average computer nerd. Despite his knowledge and status, he's also a very nice guy and has politely answered my silly questions anytime I've asked. I'd be absolutely thrilled if the book was published.

Since you have already corresponded with him in the past, please contact him again and beg him to release his revised book, even if it is only an Online release, to save on publishing costs and reduce his risk to almost nothing.

Even if he does not want to have anything to do with the project, he could hand it off to some other person that he trusts for a small percentage of the sales generated and make a profit for himself with little or no effort on his part.

It is a real shame that he has decided to hold back this work of his when there is obviously a demand for the book and the only persons he is hurting is not the pirates that leaked any work to the Internet, he is just hurting his Amiga user fans that are clamoring for this book to be released.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 08:08:02 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;617338
I have the complete series of RKRM's 1st, 2nd and 3rd Editions but none of the CATS stuff.

Oh? I thought the RKRMs where written by the CATS-Team. I was always confused with the title RKRMs, as e.g. the Styleguide has nothing about ROM or Kernel in it. I think we were talking about the same books.

Ralph Babel has a lot of detail and presents a lot of experience in important points. He really dives into the machine. But he only talks on a few selected topics, while the RKRMs cover all that is AMIGA.

Offline AndreasM

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »
Quote from: EDanaII;617109
Maybe someone should ask him? Ultimately, it's his decision. :)

We have release the german book and would be release the english new version. we talk many times about the english version, but the project are dead...

http://www.amigafuture.de/viewtopic.php?t=20675
Andreas Magerl
APC&TCP - Home of Amiga Future
Publisher for Amiga Software, Merchandising and many more.

http://www.apc-tcp.de
https://www.amigafuture.de
https://www.amigashop.org

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »
Quote from: runequester;616840
Eh.

Option 1:
Release it as print on demand. Im sure the community would rather have the book, even if it means a bit lower quality (and POD has gotten damn good in recent years).
He states that he doesn't intend to make money off it, so why not?

Upload pdf to lulu.com, set price, link to a paypal account or cheque to mailed, sit back and watch the cash flow in, job done. Total time on the part of an author? About 20 mins, of which 10 mins would be making a cuppa.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline nicholasTopic starter

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 12:14:10 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;617418
Upload pdf to lulu.com, set price, link to a paypal account or cheque to mailed, sit back and watch the cash flow in, job done. Total time on the part of an author? About 20 mins, of which 10 mins would be making a cuppa.

+twelvty!
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 02:42:54 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;617426
+twelvty!

+threeve

Offline trilobyte

• Show only replies by trilobyte
    • http://aaack.org
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »

Yes, please.  I've been trying to get this book for twelve freaking years.  I tried to buy it from an American distributor back when it was still in print (well, "had recently gone out of" print would be more accurate).

Lulu would be excellent... of course that's possibly unfair to APC-TPC who were set to release the book themselves...
Amiga user since \'96, when I could finally afford one
Commodore 8-bit since before I could tie my shoes

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 05:05:44 PM »
Seems like an odd and unfathomable situation. He halts the project because of the existence of a bad electronic copy of an old edition even when owners of the paper book are more than willing to buy an updated book, myself included. Must be personal issues behind the scenes.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 05:08:32 PM »

Exactly. Nice and easy.

Offline Gavilan

• Show only replies by Gavilan
    • http://coming soon....
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 23, 2011, 05:20:29 PM »
Ok, i have just signed in the petition
Im number 317. that number makes a good number to, at least, release the book in the form "Print on Demand" i guess
C= & Amiga user & abuser since 1986
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]