Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga PCs on the way....  (Read 34316 times)

Description:

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
Re: Amiga PCs on the way....
« Reply #179 from previous page: September 07, 2010, 01:17:12 AM »
Quote from: Orkin;578131

Honestly, I'm against copyright protection in both areas.

Fine.

Happy Birthday is so commonly sung, it shouldn't be an issue, since the owners of the copyright know it's in the public domain now due to the nature of the song.

Except it isn't. Now whether you like it or not, that's the law. Don't like it? Get the law changed.

Likewise, if you don't want someone else to post your image somewhere else, possibly modified, don't post it to the World Wide Web -- it's the antithesis of a private medium.

Heh, fortunately content creators do have legal levers they can pull when freetards start taking liberties.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2010, 03:00:46 AM »
Well copyright is kind of weird, basically in the EU "Happy Birthday" is copyrighted whilst in Australia and other countries that simply recognise the Berne Convention without additions it isn't.  In other words all material that is written by a group and is over 50 years old or is 50 years beyond the death of the author is out of copyright.

This difference is one of the reason's Australia's national anthem is the dirge "Advance AUstralia Fair" rather than "Waltzing Matilda."  Waltzing Matilda is out of copyright in Australia, but not in the EU or (I believe) in the US, so it would be weird to have to get copyright permission to use your own national anthem overseas...

Quote from: Belial6;578124
So, basically, you feel good about not buying things from companies that you wouldn't do business with anyway.  If that is your thing, that's fine.  It doesn't change the fact that all of the people hammering away at CUSA for being this huge villain for doing what is down right common, is ridiculous, and 99% of the time hypocritical.

Is the posting of the picture illegal?  About as illegal as a restaurant staff singing 'Happy Birthday' to a patron.  Is it immoral?  Again, about as immoral as a restaurant staff singing 'Happy Birthday' to a patron.

Oh, and I don't blame you for not eating at McDonalds in the UK.  While I didn't venture much outside of London, I was amazed at how bad McDonalds was there.  Here in the US, McDonalds make delicious burgers.  Of course pretty much all of the food in London was terrible, so it isn't much saying that the McDonalds there was bad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2010, 04:11:28 AM »
Each to thier own, but personally I find this whole thing ridiculous. Half of the entire "amiga" world seems to have lost the plot on the back of someone using images on a badly designed website.... if the company is going to last it will learn from its mistakes, if it's not going to last, then what does it matter? The licensing of "Amiga" appears to be as valid as the licensing of "AmigaOS", just different entities and goals, so Im curious as to what has caused the recent insanity? Personally I'm happy to see how things unfold before I dub someone the Devil. Good luck to CommodoreUSA, despite a rocky beginning Im interested to see how they go... I doubt I'll purchase any of thier products, but the Amiga names has been battered to death as far as computer enthusiasts go, so what harm can someone else trying to bring it back to the publics attention do? Amiga has a history of debatatble ethics, regardless of the path/camp. (aros being the possible exception due to it not being a business, but Im sure some people will find something to disagree with in regards to this).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2010, 08:18:31 PM »
Here's what I got in response to the concerns we've voiced. Some of it's a little harsh, but then so have some of our comments here.

"Here's a blast you can relay to the forum members, please quote exactly:
Commodore USA was not set up as  charity to support the development of AROS. It holds less than nothing of interest or importance to me, or 99.999999% of our intended market. It is a product that I or any other company could not use at all, as it has NO commercial value now, as is. So why are you all so concerned??  
Our support was to help the group move ahead, and be part of a niche hobby group that seemed initially to be  fun. I was wrong. Although some members expressed calm, sane, accurate and positive and open viewpoints, far too many exhibit behavior that is truly reprehensible. What is most amazing is the behavior and comments of the 'Moderators"   UNREAL!! Aros is not a commercial product; it is not even close to a beta functional OS that has any use at this point in it's development. Why some of you oppose the ONLY viable source of support is beyond me. Never has AROS received any promotion or publicity  that comes remotely close to that that was gotten since my intended involvement. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. Why some of you find every facet of my life of interest is really sad. Don't you have lives to live?

I'll address some comments in particular. This is business, not nursery school. You know how much was spent and paid for the Commodore and Amiga IP over the last 15 years. Do your homework…we are talking close to 100 million dollars cumulative over all these years and by all the corporate entities that played the game. Price of entry is steep, and so is execution.  Iggy has  tons of more info that for some reason he chose not to share with you all.  

As far as using abandoned artwork, no problem here. Marko Hirv cannot be reached. Period. I tried. No luck. And yes, I did email the company he is at now….again no reply. Find him…I'll deal with him, or anyone else that falls into that category. Ever hear of an Iphone, boys and girls? Guess what…Jobs used it, took it, made it his own…knowing all the time it was the IP of Cisco. Ever hear of iTV, another recent product of the Apple guys. Also, no ownership…take it …use it…and then buy it if you must. Lawyers make a ton and the company gets what it wants, and the IP holder is paid. All good, no? That's just a small example of how business is. I am not saying it is right, just giving you a lesson in reality.

Oh…..ONE MORE THING !!!! All you self righteous self appointed moral compasses out there with the huge mouths and not much else. JUST WHO LICENSED AMIGA.ORG THE AMIGA TRADEMARK PROPERTY APPEARING ON YOUR BANNER MASTHEAD???   NO ONE!!
Any comments on that flagrant violation of trademark law? I'll be most interested in a reply to that one. Very interested.

So, enjoy your little clubhouse, I wish you well, and am sorry my leap into your little pond caused such an uproar. I never knew such muddy pond could even exist.

Barry"

OK, like I said a bit harsh, but apparently heartfelt. Comments?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline tone007

« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2010, 08:22:41 PM »
Just another corpsehumper!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2010, 08:34:06 PM »
Wow... I like that Barry chap, he really sounds like a most honest, generous and caring fellow. :rolleyes:

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2010, 08:34:51 PM »
That response was about as trashy as his website :)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2010, 08:40:13 PM »
A post like that and this guy is supposed to be a "ceo" ?

Offline the-topdog

• Show only replies by the-topdog
    • http://www.geekvintage.com
« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2010, 08:56:42 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;578528
OK, like I said a bit harsh, but apparently heartfelt. Comments

I don't really blame the guy... instead of constructive comments on his business, he gets nothing but shit from the people he assumed would be happy.

Besides using someone-else's artwork, what did he do wrong?  He is just trying to run a business, not a hobby.

Negativeness breeds negativeness.  Just look at how his first interaction was calm but after the continual barbs and attacks his second response was terse.

The only two things I do not agree with him about is the artwork and his comments about Trademark infringement.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2010, 09:00:02 PM »
Quote from: the-topdog;578539
I don't really blame the guy... instead of constructive comments on his business, he gets nothing but shit from the people he assumed would be happy.

Besides using someone-else's artwork, what did he do wrong?  He is just trying to run a business, not a hobby.

Negativeness breeds negativeness.  Just look at how his first interaction was calm but after the continual barbs and attacks his second response was terse.

The only two things I do not agree with him about is the artwork and his comments about Trademark infringement.

I agree 100%... His money, his rules.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #189 on: September 09, 2010, 09:03:59 PM »

From an AROS dev: stick with iMiCA's and AROS computers !

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
« Reply #190 on: September 09, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »
I don't really blame the guy...

You don't need to, he will blame himself later for alienating his potential customers...

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #191 on: September 09, 2010, 09:29:17 PM »
Face it folks, short of inventing some form of time travel and traveling back in time to the heyday of Commodore & the Amiga, taking with you a hit man to take out Medhi Ali & Irving Gould, then what does it matter what or who uses the Commodore name. :flak:

There will never be another Amiga in the true sense of the word, surely all the events since the demise of Commodore & the Amiga has shown us that despite all the promises and wishful thinking of those who have tried and are still trying (in some cases very trying...) to bring about an Amiga rebirth shall as the past has proven amount to absolutely nothing. :(

Be happy with your trusty old Amiga and enjoy it for what it is and always will be, the best home computer ever conceived... :D

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #192 on: September 09, 2010, 09:29:35 PM »
Oh…..ONE MORE THING !!!! All you self righteous self appointed moral compasses out there with the huge mouths and not much else. JUST WHO LICENSED AMIGA.ORG THE AMIGA TRADEMARK PROPERTY APPEARING ON YOUR BANNER MASTHEAD???   NO ONE!![/I][/FONT][/COLOR]
Any comments on that flagrant violation of trademark law? I'll be most interested in a reply to that one. Very interested.

Amiga.Inc in various guises have specifically approved of the name over the years. Also this website is a news and community site, not a company attempting to sell computers and whilst the banner might include the name Amiga in it, it's full name is "Amiga.org" which has been around for over a decade and is a well established trademark in it's own right.

I also don't like the implied threat that is being made here.

[/I]OK, like I said a bit harsh, but apparently heartfelt. Comments?
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Barry has delusions of grandeur who is going to get himself into serious trouble if he continues to take the liberties he is with regard copyright.

If he continues to breach copyright and plagiarise the way he is, sooner rather than later he will find himself on the business end of a life altering lawsuit.

There was also the fact that his descriptions of the re-badged Cybernet was more or less plagiarised from Apple.

Oh and more recently the faux legal letter attempting to silence OSNews.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline the-topdog

• Show only replies by the-topdog
    • http://www.geekvintage.com
« Reply #193 on: September 09, 2010, 09:30:42 PM »
Quote from: CSixx;578542
You don't need to, he will blame himself later for alienating his potential customers...

If you are always bitching about him and his company, you were never a potential customer to begin with.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #194 on: September 09, 2010, 09:45:14 PM »

I still think it's hilarious that this guy comes along with a simple premise like "slap the Commodore/Amiga brand on a PC" and in less than a month generates more interest than Hyperion who spent 10 years spinning their wheels trying to "resurrect the Amiga".

I don't necessarily agree with his methods but I think there's a lesson here for any company trying to make a living off the name.