Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Make do or do without
Make do or do without
Previous Image | Next Image
Description: This is probably the cheesiest thing I have done to my system to date.  I suspect the Voodoo 3 card is overheating, causing the video to cut out after a while and the card to sometimes fail to be detected at reboot.  Found a heatsink fan but couldn't find mounting hardware appropriate for the heatsink on the card.

Scotch tape to the rescue!  I tell myself it's temporary, but most kludges have a way of becoming permanent...
Picture Stats:
Views: 1902
Filesize: 264.85kB
Height: 768 Width: 1024
Posted by: Failure at August 13, 2005, 02:59:39 AM

Image Linking Codes
BB Code

Comments (8)

adonay
November 28, 2007, 10:20:33 PM
That looks horrible in such a competent system  :lol:
Hodgkinson
July 19, 2007, 08:21:41 AM
Just be extremely cautious in case you decide to screw the fan to the heatsink. Tiny shards of metal usually come off and could foul your card, or your amiga, somthing terrible. Make sure that the card and the heatsink are *spotless* before you power them back up...

(I took the effort of washing a heatsink I was working on - Filing etc - before I took it any where near the accelerator it was going to go on).

Hodgkinson.
Methuselas
May 17, 2006, 03:11:07 AM
This picture is all kinds of wrong.
Tomas
February 15, 2006, 05:52:41 AM
I am sure you can find some small screws and screw it directly between those heatsink bar thingies??
keropi
January 08, 2006, 02:36:36 AM
either use a screw to secure the fan on the hs, or glue it with silicone... duct tape is so unsecure...
K7HTH
October 14, 2005, 11:19:46 PM
Slot fans in Amigas Rock!! Good Job.
Failure
August 14, 2005, 04:30:21 AM
Well, as you might have guessed the tape lasted about 30 minutes before it came off due to the heat.  I put in a second "slot cooler" to move more air through the case and this seems to have alleviated the problem.  But I'd still like a heatsink fan on this, as my guess is I am still running right on the borderline.  I will see if I can find that putty somewhere :-)

But rest assured, the tape is already gone.
X-ray
August 13, 2005, 10:36:48 AM
Dude, you must take that tape off and do what I did to attach a new fan to my PPC heatsink. All you do is get a sharp-nosed pair of pliers and squeeze the ribs of that heatsink as hard as you can. You must pit them - make little indentations in them where the corners of the fan will sit. Then you get some Pratley's putty (not the fast-setting, the ordinary one), mix it up and put a blob per corner on the heatsink. Press it down between the ribs where you made the pits. Skim off the excess so that it sits just proud of the heatsink, then press the fan onto it (no screws, obviously). You then need to press some putty into each of the four screw-holes, using a matchstick. Let the putty sit a bit proud of the screw-holes and smooth it off a little so that when it sets the fan can't come off. Wait for it to set (12-24 hours) and you are done. It is a pity your heatsink isn't black because then you could have got a black permanent marker and coloured the putty black too. On my PPC card the putty looks great because it is black now.
I tell you what, I will even send you the putty so you can do it, just because I hate to see tape like that. This putty is the bees knees, my friend, one of South Africa's best inventions. It was used on the Eagle landing craft in the 1969 Apollo XI mission, so I think it will probably be good enough to hold that fan in place  :-)

Edit: I see you also have a PPC card, with original 6mm fan. If you replace it with a 10mm or 20mm fan you can putty that too, but you'll have to cut that drive chassis strut or it won't fit. I tried to replace my 6mm fan with another one, but they are very difficult to find, especially in 40mm x 40mm. All I could find was 10mm or 20mm. These are better blowers anyway.