Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New SD Floppy Emulator  (Read 10035 times)

Description:

Offline retromaster

• Show all replies
Re: New SD Floppy Emulator
« on: July 12, 2010, 06:26:13 PM »
Hi everyone... As my nickname would suggest, I am the guy who designed and developed this floppy emulator :)

Contrary to what one might imagine, the keyboard interface and video overlay circuitry are not expensive at all. The video overlay circuitry basically consists of a 74lv244 which costs about $0.5 (single) and the heart of the A500 keyboard daughterboard is a PIC24F04, which costs about $2.5 (single). The keyboard daughterboard is just a single-sided PCB, which also helps reduce costs.

The most expensive component on the main board is the PIC32MX575 microcontroller, which costs about $10 (single). As with most homebrew, low-volume projects, I would expect the PCB cost to be the highest value in the equation, but that also depends on the volume. There are a few hidden costs such as the wiring harnesses and cabling but I would not expect those to add a lot.

So, I guess, in the hands of the right people, this project could be manufactured and sold for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, I do not think I am the right person, because of two main reasons: First, I do not have enough time to devote to a commercialization effort (as this is mainly a hobby project for me), and second, I have no experience in that area.

Anyway, now that I am here, I would be glad to answer any questions any of you might have... :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:26:45 PM by retromaster »

Offline retromaster

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:12:35 PM »
Amigean, thank you for your kind words, I am really glad you like my work.

I guess part of the reason why you might call the response here "underwhelming" is probably because perhaps people are not really that impressed by yet another floppy emulator, which is something I can understand :)

Nevertheless, I really appreciate your support to spread the word. Thanks again.

Offline retromaster

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 02:19:52 PM »
UFE now supports the Amiga 1200 :) For pictures, please visit the project page at http://retromaster.wordpress.com/ufe.

Offline retromaster

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 08:57:33 AM »
@Ajacocks: I am afraid I am not very familiar with Indivision, however, in theory, it is possible to do the overlay on any kind of analog RGB output. The major difference with the Indivision would be that the horizontal scanning frequency is doubled, but with some firmware modifications UFE should be able to cope with that. If the hooks used for the UFE video connection can be attached to the Indivision without problem, there is a good chance it could be made to work.

@amigaksi: I meant that there is now a keyboard daughterboard available for the Amiga 1200, which means that the A1200 keyboard can be used to control UFE. Otherwise, floppy interface-wise, UFE already supports all Amiga and ST models + Amstrad CPC6128.

Offline retromaster

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 06:41:40 AM »
Laserback, thanks. IPF files are not supported at the moment. The hardware is perhaps even capable of variable bit-rate IPF support, but the trouble there is that the last time I checked the IPF file format was still undocumented, and there was only a binary library available on PC. Without the file format documentation, it is not possible add IPF support to UFE.

Could you explain a little what you mean by "adf files with rare tracks?"