Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IMICA Atom becomes Aros fully native and celebrates in Silence  (Read 12654 times)

Description:

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
Re: IMICA Atom becomes Aros fully native and celebrates in Silence
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 09:38:02 PM »
Quote from: lou_dias;560272
People seem to be missing the point.

No I'm well aware of the point thanks, I was simply asking a direct question with a (very rough) comparison between different processors.

This 1.6 GHZ Atom-base Amiga-like unit costs $300USD.  What you should be comparing it to is a SAM.  It probably outperforms SAM and is 1/3 the cost too boot and is SILENT and has a nice case and mounts behind a monitor.

I would imagine even with a GMA500 the graphics chip is far more capable as well, oh and it'll have working USB...

Does AROS have an integrated UAE type emulation layer like MorphOS or Amithlon?

Congrats to Stephen!  Now if only SSD prices would drop. ;-)

Hear hear.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 10:37:25 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;560288

Does AROS have an integrated UAE type emulation layer like MorphOS or Amithlon?

Just google "o1i" :)

Offline the_leander

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 10:58:50 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;560306
Just google "o1i" :)

Oh rock on!

Cheers Matt :)
Blessed Be,

Offline kolla

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 02:34:58 AM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;560222
Sorry, I just can't get excited about a crappy Intel machine being passed off as Amiga.

Sorry, I just can't get excited about a total jackass being passed off as an Amiga user.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 03:01:54 AM »
Thread Title: "IMICA Atom becomes Aros fully native and celebrates in Silence"

Key word here is "Silence" which means:

Only people who like to adulterate already crappy HW to run a fake AmigaOS would like this, eventually there will be nothing left of the unique community that I love. I don't ever want to see x86 and AmigaOS in this way, e=verytime I do reminds me of the pollution of this community. Who, would want to help teh very company who killed the Amiga? I don't.

Also, to the mods who erased my gesture, you really are absentee most of the time, why, the finger doesn't even mean F-U in all cultures, whereas a$$, $hit,f#ck all mean the same no matter what way you spell it. It really isn't fair to give me an infraction at all.

@Kolla

Yay, you learned how to say "donkey" another way, lets applaud you shall we?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:08:52 AM by dreamcast270mhz »
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline jagoche

• Show only replies by jagoche
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 03:15:26 AM »
@dreamcast270mhz
While one can respect your view, I really don't see much sense any longer to argue what is "fake" (or true) Amiga today.

And yes... "eventually there will be nothing left" of Amiga as we knew it decades ago. Instead different ideas of Amiga already coexist, since it is obvious that after so many years Amiga has different meaning to different Amiga users.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:20:25 AM by jagoche »
A2000, Blizzard 2040ERC, Spectrum (alive again), Masoboshi MC702
A4000, A3640, VLab, A2301

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 03:32:29 AM »
I have been an aros user for sometime. For me, its not about x86 verses powerpc, but then again maybe it is sometimes.

For example, I can pick a 1-2ghz computer out of the trash, add an sblive, (15$), an fx550 or 650 video card (15$) and then run aros on it. The performance on even a 1ghz computer is definitly as good or better than any 700mhz power pc computer that costs about 1,000$ with amiga os4. 30$ verses 1000$ is quite a big difference.

There is also something I prefer about AROS- Its open. If you prefer amiga os4 or morphos thats fine, but don't trash aros and the people working to better it. AROS can never die, is not controlled by any one individual and
the community is really great. Just because you call it amiga os dosn't mean computers running it are the "real amiga" there is no such thing anymore...

Steven

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 04:01:35 AM »
For me, if there was a future in PowerPC the I could see it.  I agree.  Even Apple who basically made the market for PPC is out of it.  Intel didn't kill the Amiga, but they did do one thing, and they do it really really good, and that's manufacture really darn good processors, and for cheap too.  If Motorola or IBM or AMD (who is just another flavor of x86) decided to take that processor tech further and get it cheap enough then thats one thing (OR Nvidia decides to cut Intel completely out and decides to manufacture whole processing solutions just using their GPUs...).  Those are a lot of big "if's".  MorphOS has the (now dwindling as well) PowerPC Mac market covered, and AROS is positioned to be running on all the rest of the worlds hardware.  I'd rather Amiga continue somehow or someway.  Heck, even Natami is an FPGA.  :meh:

Offline the_leander

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 05:13:38 AM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;560338
Thread Title: "IMICA Atom becomes Aros fully native and celebrates in Silence"

Key word here is "Silence" which means:

Only people who like to adulterate already crappy HW to run a fake AmigaOS would like this,

Way to dismiss and belittle tens of thousands of hours of developers hard work in building a ground up opensource re-implimentation of the AmigaOS.

I would also point out that the hardware in question packs a bigger punch in every respect than a Sam440 and does so for around a third of the cost. Oh and its mass produced which means people buying into AROS won't have to silently pray to the gods of hardware that today isn't the day your system dies because there is no replacement.

eventually there will be nothing left of the unique community that I love.

Newsflash chum: AROS has been around for far longer than you have been around and will l(thanks to being OSS) be here long after the last A1 and Sam die of old age.

I don't ever want to see x86 and AmigaOS in this way, e=verytime I do reminds me of the pollution of this community. Who, would want to help teh very company who killed the Amiga? I don't.

Look, just because you get a hardon over ridiculously overpriced and underspecced niche hardware doesn't mean that the rest of us have to follow your fetish.

Oh and quit it with the hyperbole, the only company that killed Amiga was Commodore, but then again I've come to expect such nonsense historical revisionism from the new wave of name followers such as yourself.

Also, to the mods who erased my gesture, you really are absentee most of the time, why, the finger doesn't even mean F-U in all cultures, whereas a$$, $hit,f#ck all mean the same no matter what way you spell it. It really isn't fair to give me an infraction at all.

Oh don't play the innocent, you got an infraction and deserved it. Trying to wriggle out of it like this is just makes you look even more pathetic. I would also suggest that the reason for the infraction was precisely because your posts were belittling the efforts of people who actually know their stuff and are actively trying to improve support for the platform as a whole, even if you don't happen to agree with the direction of this fork.

@Kolla

Yay, you learned how to say "donkey" another way, lets applaud you shall we?

Yes, lets, because it was also well earned, so here you are Kolla:

Blessed Be,

Offline trekiej

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 05:36:30 AM »
I hope aros can successfully replace amithlon.
Being able to turn you computer on and not need win,linux,etc to run emulation is fine by me. Aros is basically that way but has more amiga feel to it.
Msoft will one day drop support for win7 but aros can continue chugging along.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 10:06:26 AM »
I think Aros is fantastic after using it for awhile you really feel like you came "home" again.

Congrats to steve for getting all the drivers and making this work. Once I can afford to buy a catweasel, my aros machine will be the ng amiga of my dreams. I can't wait to see how awesome aros will be in a few more years of development. Alot is happening with it lately.

Steven

Offline clusterukTopic starter

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »
@dreamcast270mhz

I am not trying to replace the Amiga, I am not sure what Amiga you refer to, I own the only real Amiga which had its name changed to the A1000, and it is my greatest possession. I also own A1200, A3000, A4000 and they are all fantastic evolution of the species that starts with the A1000.

For me, I skipped the non chipset ppc based Amigas for a lot of reasons but nothing to do with how good or bad they are, I just left the scene after Gateway fiasco and Gateway wiping my company out with the PCI Amiga and siamese system, a project that was to take Amiga to x86 in late 90's.

How you define Amiga is personal, to some it is the wonderful chipset, watch my videos and be amazed at what my 25 year old Amiga 100 can do and to others the OS, and some to both. In my case it was both but I can no longer have the chipset unless Natami is succesful. So I am working with others to get Aros supported on low cost hardware, iMica and later, Super High performance hardware that will give us all cause to re-evaluate the Amiga in the next decade.

The key thing is Aros is not owned by anybody and will last forever just improving bit by bit.

My IMICA is not driven by a need for sales, I hope people buy it, but it is a base reference platform for developers to build on for the future, and because drivers are free anybody can build one or buy a supported Aros netbook for around (150-200 euros) something that is eluding ppc AmigaOS camp for now. Also serious users can buy later generation hardware as it suits there needs. However, trust me, I am in for the long term here. It is an all consuming hobby and now this step in project is complete I am moving onto next stage.
Amiga 1000/3000, iMica Silent and NVidia Aros computer.
http://www.imica.net
Lets enjoy the Amigas future, THIS year is 25th Anniversary lets make it special.
http://www.amiga25.org

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 12:20:43 PM »
Variety is the spice of life.

I have several classics (real and emulated), an OS4.1.2 A1 box and a spare PC for running AROS on (presently in bits). The only thing I'm lacking is a MorphOS box. Much as I like the fact they have opened up the ppc mac market, the specification of the ppc mac mini (in particular the video hardware) doesn't enthrall me. If/when more generic G4 boxes with graphics card slots are supported I'll get one.

All assuming I still have a job next month :-/
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 01:10:54 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;560311
Oh rock on!

Cheers Matt :)

;) x

Offline paolone

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 01:32:49 PM »
Only people who like to adulterate already crappy HW to run a fake AmigaOS would like this, eventually there will be nothing left of the unique community that I love. I don't ever want to see x86 and AmigaOS in this way, e=verytime I do reminds me of the pollution of this community. Who, would want to help teh very company who killed the Amiga? I don't.

Tell me the truth: somewhere at home, you have a picture of yourself that becomes clever with time.
p.bes

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 23, 2010, 03:04:54 PM »
Quote from: jagoche;560339
@dreamcast270mhz
While one can respect your view, I really don't see much sense any longer to argue what is "fake" (or true) Amiga today.

I can't respect his view. He comes in here and pisses on everyone's cornflakes and then gets mad when people piss back. Who can respect that?
Ed.