Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Look what DosBOX can do!!  (Read 7339 times)

Description:

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: Look what DosBOX can do!!
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:11:03 PM »
Quote from: Mequa;678478
Looks like Windows 95 or perhaps a cut-down 98. I have seen a modified version of Windows 98 with 98lite running on DOSBox cross-platform, so assuming the AROS port of DOSBox is feature-complete it should be possible to emulate Windows 98 under AROS. It is much slower than native though or a decent VM.

Not sure about ME, 98lite also works with ME, but NT-based Windows such as 2000, XP and above are not compatible with DOSBox as it doesn't provide the necessary complete Pentium instruction set.

Hmm, NT4 requires a '486 instruction set and 12mb RAM to run (having run it on a P120 with 24mb RAM though I can tell you that ain't exactly "true"), but clearly if DOSBox has the full ia32/80486 instruction code emulated, or at least all of the calls trapped, it can be run as long as your primary partition is FAT16 (IIRC; it's been a decade since I touched NT4).
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline B00tDisk

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 01:42:58 AM »
For the haters in this thread, one of the things that attracted me to the Amiga in the first place was the ability to run Mac OS and DOS and early flavors of Windows without any trouble.  Same for all of my amiga-using friends back in the day.  But now that's not good enough...?

Eh.

Offline B00tDisk

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 02:44:41 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;678710
What's the point when everyone has a peecee anyway? Back in the day it made sense, because you didn't want to buy a peecee. Having a good dos emulator on a suitably expanded Amiga meant you could use software you otherwise couldn't run, but today? Hmm...

Because it's neat?  Because it's handy?  Because it's tinkering with your computer and it's fun?  Because it's a smaller desktop footprint?  Because it requires less resources to do?  Because it's free to try out?  The list goes on and on.

Look at it from the other end: the Amiga "community", all some-thousand of them, certainly can't afford to lose users, so what do you tell the PC guy who wants to come aboard?  What can you entice him with if nothing else than easy migration of data, or data sharing?  What do you tell him when he says "Yeah but I can run WinUAE and have 99% of all the Amiga software on my PC right there."?