Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SteamOS  (Read 6222 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: SteamOS
« on: September 26, 2013, 02:13:53 AM »
They have my attention.
Sounds interesting.
And free is a great price.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 02:20:16 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;748866
Linux is a great kernel and there are some brilliant distributions out there that meet most needs... My only grip about Linux is the lack of proper realtime scheduling, I recently tried to to some embedded control using a raspberry pi running raspbian (Debian for the pi), and was getting up to 10ms jitter!!! :(

Back on topic, your dislike of Linux is illogical. ;)

A "great kernel", hmm..

If you are a fan of monolithic kernels, yes Linus did a great job of copying the core of an OS that was developed in my country by Bell Labs and Universities across the United States.

That being said, I am pretty sure my dislike of Linux is well founded.

In fact, since most of my coding goes back to OS' that have their roots in process control (you know, real time software, something Linux has always done pretty poorly), hey, I'd rather be using something like QNX.

But, those of us that have advocated for tight micro kernel based operating systems have had their opinions overshadow by the hack you guys seem so convinced is a genius.

Let me explain my opinion on this clearly, Torvalds could never have actually designed have an operating system on his own, and before you correct me, no not even a kernel.
And, if I wanted to use a UNIX knock off, I'd run BSD or OSX (which is kind of the same thing now that I think about it).

So, the next time any of you cares to pontificate about the glories of Linux, I hope I'm not around. Because as far as I'm concerned, you're all just coasting on the backs of things that were developed and financed in my country during my childhood.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 02:23:13 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 02:39:23 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;752143
I love how people rave about what a great kernel Linux is and completely gloss over the manifold shortcomings in every other aspect of its design. Because, hey, who doesn't have their entire computing needs met by a kernel, right?

Thank you, sir!
Personally, I'm trying to figure out what genius is responsible for stuffing all that crap in the kernel in the first place when everything except the core services should be outside with the rest of the OS.
But then, maybe they like crash prone design tactics.
I don't now.