Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: new forum sections for compatibles???  (Read 1512 times)

Description:

Offline meerschaumTopic starter

• Show only replies by meerschaum
new forum sections for compatibles???
« on: August 23, 2003, 11:31:48 AM »
I think since we have new management here and maybe the oppertunity for some new ideas.

I think it wouldnt hurt to add a MorphOS section to the forums, and perhaps an AROS section(instead of generic 'not amiga' section)... whats wrong with giving sections to these things?... I mean... in the true spirit of this site representing the 'genre' as a whole... wouldnt it be good to have sections dedicated to alternatives?... I think overall it would probably lower trolling....and you would have a much easier time spotting trolling...because if someone posted a 'AOS4 sucks blah blah blah' in an AOS4 forum...its obviousely trolling...the same bieng true adversely for MorphOS...

just an idea... I think it would be a good legitimate step to take and probably cut down on overall anti-sentiment. I know some hardliners will hate this idea...but overall I think people of this site will benefit from it.

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
Re: new section addition?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 01:44:10 PM »
It's definitely worth a try. Would it be tough on the  moderators, or the SW, though, to set up as a trial? Then we'd be together, but apart.

AmigaOne!  :-)
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 02:08:27 PM »

meerschaum wrote:
I think since we have new management here and maybe the oppertunity for some new ideas.

I think it wouldnt hurt to add a MorphOS section to the forums, and perhaps an AROS section(instead of generic 'not amiga' section)... whats wrong with giving sections to these things?... I mean... in the true spirit of this site representing the 'genre' as a whole... wouldnt it be good to have sections dedicated to alternatives?... I think overall it would probably lower trolling....and you would have a much easier time spotting trolling...because if someone posted a 'AOS4 sucks blah blah blah' in an AOS4 forum...its obviousely trolling...the same bieng true adversely for MorphOS...

just an idea... I think it would be a good legitimate step to take and probably cut down on overall anti-sentiment. I know some hardliners will hate this idea...but overall I think people of this site will benefit from it.

At first I thought this to be a stupid idea... but having just thought it over, you are right MOS and AROS do deserve at least their own forums.

Offline Acill

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 02:47:43 PM »
I'd agree a new area for them would be a great idea. MOS may not be 100% Amiga as well as AROS, but they do run Amiga software. They also run on Amiga Hardware. (MOS in its old beta form at least)
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2003, 09:38:34 PM »
I've mentioned this before. ATM MOS and AROS come under "alternative systems", but I think of Windows, MacOS and Linux more as alternatives, and MOS and AROS as compatibles.

The problem is this though, aside from Talk-about which is hidden from the front page, there lacks any distiction between different froums threads are in on the front page and on the "latest threads" page while the forums are displayed, it's usually the subjects I go by.

While adding new forums will keep things neater and better organised, it's not going to stop people trolling, and flaming.  You'd need an industrial size dose of growing up for that.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2003, 09:57:21 PM »
well I dont see why there are no MOS/AROS forums, even if there would still be some trolling... they should be there... if for no other reason then to organize things and stop this 'bias' talk... if this site is truely 'genre'  and not Amiga(TM) only... then it might help to cut down on 'bias talk' ... as it would give a 'home' so to speak for all differant topics.

Offline CodeSmith

• Show only replies by CodeSmith
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2003, 10:34:40 PM »
@uncharted:

This is amiga.org, windows and mac posts should happen very infrequently.  On the other hand there are lots of MOS and AROS posts, so it does seem unfair to just lump them all under "alternative" (especially since there's so few alternatives - it's not like we're talking Linux distros).

My suggestion is to keep "alternative" for the odd time that some regular needs help getting his USB camera to work with his PC, and add 3 new categories: "Pegasos/MorphOS", "AROS" (once these guys get huge, we might want to add a couple more categories for them) and "Emulators" (for WinUAE, etc).  I think that should keep everything nicely categorized, and make it easier to find stuff you're particularly interested about.

You're probably right about the trolling though - I doubt anything other than strong moderation will solve that.

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2003, 01:36:26 AM »
@codesmith

I think that you might have slightly misunderstood uncharted's comment.

From what I understand, his post is asking exactly the same question as you. i.e. why is AROS and MorphOS lumped together with linux and windows At The Moment?

I think he meant that AROS & MorphOS (the compatibles) should have seperate forums and only windows/linux etc should be counted as alternative systems.

Anyone care to confirm whether or not I understood correctly? :-?   :-D

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2003, 02:14:46 AM »
GadgetMaster I think you're right there, that's exactly how I read Uncharted's post.

There's already an Emulator section here that covers emulators that run on the Amiga and emulators that let you run Amigas on other platforms, adding another one would just confuse things.

I like the idea of having Pegasos and AROS sections and keeping alternative for Windows/Mac/Linux.
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline dslcc

• Show only replies by dslcc
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2003, 02:28:47 AM »
I think a MOS/Pegasos section would be great! :-) :-D
:-o...

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2003, 02:33:20 AM »
I really dont see a need. If you want specific 'sections' go to morphzone.org or amigaworld.org(or .net?)

If you have technical problems, to me it's perfectly fine to bring them up in either the hardware or software related threads here. People with one system can always discuss things with those with another system the way things are. Just label your thread titles with the specific problem(including the machine/os).

If it is more generalised discussion you are talking about, I still don't see the problem.
Both platforms can be discussed quite well the way things are IMO.

Remember the way amiga.org was when there were many more sections? How empty they were before they merged? I think you would find the same again if you were to create new sections. Some would probably go untouched.

IMO folks.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2003, 04:08:32 AM »
iamaboringperson

because there are spacific sections for Amiga.inc solutions...therefore there should be for others...MorphOS/Pegasos/Aros users who are new might find this site (as its related to amiga) and not find anywhere they feel they should post...lots of reasons...but the main one is.. 'why not?" ...

we have three forums dedicated to AmigaDE, why cant we have a couple other forums added for MorphOS/Aros?

Offline Kees

• Show only replies by Kees
    • http://www.amiga.org
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2003, 12:16:18 AM »
Good idea ... we wil *consider* this ...   :-D
Kees Witteveen
Amiga.org

** Cool Signature **

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2003, 05:50:31 AM »
Does AROS actually run Amiga software now?  Or does it just look like an Amiga?   :-D
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2003, 06:04:50 AM »
Well AROS is source compatible, so no reason it isn;t running all the amiga freeware. I know it has a Deluxe Paint clone...
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo