Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RAM DISK?  (Read 3432 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
Re: RAM DISK?
« on: August 15, 2003, 06:26:08 PM »
I have a ramdisk set up on my PC, running win2k.

www.cenatek.com sell the piece of software I use.

You can also configure it to be recoverable, I did have it configured like that and it works fine.  Just that saving a 256MB image to disk on shutdown takes a while :-)

Btw, the picture on that company's home page is another product they sell, that's not what I'm using.

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 09:43:58 PM »
This piece of software cost a whopping 35 dollars when I bought it.  I think the price has gone up a little since then, but if that is going to break any computer user's bank balance, they need to seriously check their priorities :-)

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 10:51:23 PM »
Well, $35 to use a feature the OS should have integrated in the first place

But it's not.  "Oh, I don't want it then!".  It's not a standard OS feature either.

The software has been stable.  People new to it might experience some discomfort initially configuring it, because of expanded/excluded memory is a bit of a PITA, but after that it's cool.

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 09:30:05 AM »
Win9x had a ramdisk driver but it's 4MB max storage.

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 05:31:21 PM »
pc users are so aggressive...

No, that's just people in general.

And coming from an Amiga-related forum, that is a tad hypocritical :-)

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003, 05:32:58 PM »
None of both Ram Disks mentioned here for PC have the most important feature of the Amiga's Ram Disk: they are not dynamic, you have to assign how much memory you want to use, while in Amiga it assigns or frees automatically the memory it uses or doesn't use.

Correct, but that's WIndows for you.  Actually, probably most memory-protected operating systems as well, but I can't come up with a decent explanation why that might be the case.

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2003, 12:16:49 PM »
@ DanDude
Still, I --really-- don't want to see any pc posting myself. In fact our moderators should've stepped in and remove this entire thread, IMO. It really is off topic and most likely should be placed in "Talk-About". Windows and Apple sole tech-help have no purpose on this site unless you're installing them on your Amiga.

I think you'll find most of the visitors to Amiga.org (looking at the last browser stats, I'd say 60 - 70%) use PCs.  The fact that the ramdisk is one of the advantages that Amiga users have enjoyed without jumping through obscure configuration loops, people want those advantages, if possible with the OSs they use currently.  I've moved the thread to 'Alternative Operating Systems', merely as a point of accuracy.