Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Now is the time!  (Read 3604 times)

Description:

Offline PhatBoiCollierTopic starter

• Show only replies by PhatBoiCollier
    • http://www.tirinoarim.co.uk
Now is the time!
« on: June 11, 2003, 11:29:24 AM »
Thats it, I've had enough!

My full time occupation is developing application software for Windows.  I also have an evening/weekend job, developing application software for Windows.  As you can gather, I spend most my life in Windows.  Task management, emails etc via Outlook, documentation in word etc. and to be frank, they all suck.

I am so fed up of the Stupidity of this software.  As a developer, I KNOW whats involved.  I've written flight managements systems, holiday booking systems, stock control, chemical classification systems so I am experienced.  The fundamental floor is the software has been added to and added to.  The PROBLEMS are hardly addressed.

Sure, the latest version of Word can have text with sparkly lights but does it know where to put a page-break?  No.  Does it know how to count? (numbered lists) No. Style management.  Yeah, right.  Ok, now outlook comes with MSN messanger integration and loads of other bells and whistles but can you create a task and keep someone else informed of progress?  No.  And windows?  Jesus, dont get me started on that, what the hell is it doing when it boots?

And why the hell do I have to re-install it every 6-12 months just to keep it running?  There are bits of programs installing themselves in the startup drawer (ok, thats easy to fix) and all over the place in the registry (load, run, runonce...)

My point?  Well, after the all the discussions of which is best, MOS, AROS, OS4 etc. I  dusted off my A4000 from the attic and booted it...  8 seconds.  I had forgotton how damned quick it was.  And my 500MB (Yes, MB, not GB) drive?  Full os, 1 ray tracer, 2 word processors, organizer and a number of games.  Not even half full!

Now, I know through my work that at the moment, people are realising that, besides the hype, Windows XP (although better than its predecessors) is still, big, slow and impossible to admin (with regards what gets run/loaded/drivers etc).  And everyone is getting fed up with it.

So, if we are going to launch a new OS then for gods sake ALL OF YOU, grow up, pool resources and get on with it.  

Now, is the time.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary and those that dont.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Now is the time!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 11:33:16 AM »
A bit long winded, but yeah, I agree with you.

An open standard should have been decided... too late for that now... So we will just have to let the community vote with its feet... so to speak...

Offline YttriumOx

• Show only replies by YttriumOx
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 11:35:22 AM »
Hoorah PhatBoi!
Wholeheartedly agree with every single comment you make.

Regards,
Ben de Waal
(who still uses phatedit for quick code mods while debugging :-))

Offline PhatBoiCollierTopic starter

• Show only replies by PhatBoiCollier
    • http://www.tirinoarim.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 11:38:48 AM »
PhatEdit?!  Blimey.  Been a while since I wrote that.  Good to know its still out there.  Lost the motivation recently.

I have a full-screen version of Quake done now.  I started putting the sound in there too but like I said, I lost interest.

Half thought about doing a Workbench-esque app for the DE though....
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary and those that dont.

Offline ksk

• Show only replies by ksk
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 11:39:34 AM »
Also I agree. :)

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 11:42:15 AM »

bloodline wrote:
A bit long winded, but yeah, I agree with you.

An open standard should have been decided... too late for that now... So we will just have to let the community vote with its feet... so to speak...

There is a way......

If WE as a COMMUNITY regardless of affiliations, come up with a set of standards for developers to stick to, that work on AOS4/MOS/AROS and WE as DEVELOPERS stick to it, thus maximizing our potential customer base, then eventually the OS vendors will have to admit defeat and start co-operating or at least stick to the open standards that developers are sticking to.

http://openamiga.org anyone? :-D

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2003, 11:43:02 AM »
I agree, but saying it forums over and over just doesn't make the people behind all the different "amiga successor" projects pool together, and they never will.

People will stay in camps, the bitching will continue. Maybe once everyone has non-beta projects out there the atmosphere will change from hostility to relief.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2003, 11:47:35 AM »
The nearest thing to a standard we have is the 3.1 spec...  + CGX + AHI + BSDSocket

That is the only thing we can "rely" on being present.

hopefully, some common ground can be found there.

-Edit- Damn, Almost forgot SDL :-D

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2003, 11:50:45 AM »

Tickly wrote:
I agree, but saying it forums over and over just doesn't make the people behind all the different "amiga successor" projects pool together, and they never will.

People will stay in camps, the bitching will continue. Maybe once everyone has non-beta projects out there the atmosphere will change from hostility to relief.

If we all stick to a set of defined standards, and don't deviate from them by using OS specific extensions then I think it will make a big difference.

Software written to the specs could be advertised as "100% Open Amiga Compliant" or something similar, if the community as a whole only buys/uses software of this type then the whole problem may go away.  It won't be overnight, but it's a start.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2003, 11:51:25 AM »

bloodline wrote:
The nearest thing to a standard we have is the 3.1 spec...  + CGX + AHI + BSDSocket

That is the only thing we can "rely" on being present.

hopefully, some common ground can be found there.

-Edit- Damn, Almost forgot SDL :-D

MESA? ;-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2003, 11:58:28 AM »
Well... AROS has no 3D standard... But SDL uses OpenGL and that is what AROS plans to use... and I *think* MESA is an OpenGLoid...

so OpenGL is probably the standard. BUt can't be relied on, yet :-)

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2003, 11:59:34 AM »
I think you should be allowed to use OS-specific extensions (such as application.library, for example), but not require them to be "openamiga" compliant.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2003, 12:01:03 PM »

Tickly wrote:
I think you should be allowed to use OS-specific extensions (such as application.library, for example), but not require them to be "openamiga" compliant.

Yes, couldn't agree more.  That's the Amiga way afterall! :-D

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2003, 12:05:32 PM »

Tickly wrote:

That's a brilliant idea!!!!

Yes, we should band together as a community and define an OpenAmiga standard...

PS: I forgote that the MUI API is available across the AmigaOSoids so that could be part of the standard too.  :-)

Offline Sloxa

• Show only replies by Sloxa
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2003, 12:09:15 PM »
i also agree!!!
i can believe what you think about windows...
becouse my job is update/install  windows system
and this job is from HELL :-o
my nerve is gone over thousand times..becouse
only thing what windows can do right is to be
UNSTABLE!!!!!   :-D  :-D