Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS Mentioned  (Read 2501 times)

Description:

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
Re: AROS Mentioned
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 27, 2007, 08:13:14 PM »
@Fats

AFAIK it isn't actually possible as the system would have no way of knowing if a memory access is legitimate or not.  You would have to take the proposed MorphOS approach and run *all* old apps in a sandbox (where they could still interfere with each other) and run new apps in a memory protected environment.

Offline dammyTopic starter

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
Rumours say MP is coming?

AFAIK, for even being able to boot at 64bit native kernel on a AMD64 requires MMU support.  From what I've been told, AROS64's memory protection is going to be compariable to OS4's MP.  I've been begging for RT support in the kernel for future RT kernel modules, so I have alot of hopes on AROS64, as you probably have guessed.  Loadable kernel modules, hmmmm good!  :cheers: to Doc!

Dammy
AROS64 Bounty
TeamAROS
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline uncharted

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 02:12:15 PM »

dammy wrote:
Rumours say MP is coming?

AFAIK, for even being able to boot at 64bit native kernel on a AMD64 requires MMU support.  From what I've been told, AROS64's memory protection is going to be compariable to OS4's MP.

Why not just dump backward compatibility for the 64bit version and actually try to make a modern Amiga-like with modern features?  That is what is really needed.

Source compatibility seems stupid when no-one is ever going to port anything over anyway.

Offline dammyTopic starter

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 02:19:11 PM »
Why not just dump backward compatibility for the 64bit version and actually try to make a modern Amiga-like with modern features? That is what is really needed.

Source compatibility seems stupid when no-one is ever going to port anything over anyway.

If someone ever completes the EUAE Integration bounty, there would be alot of wisdom in your words.  I can see from the start, there is going to be additional API beyond AOS3.1.  But I'll let be up to the Doc to run with.

Dammy
TeamAROS
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline uncharted

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 02:35:13 PM »
Regardless of EUAE, something still needs to be done.  At this point with the move to 64-bit, it seems like the perfect opportunity to start over.  

Offline Mazze

• Show only replies by Mazze
    • http://mazze-online.de
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 02:01:06 PM »

I'm afraid it's even more unlikely that someone writes new applications for an OS which isn't API compatible to AmigaOS.

Offline pixie

• Show only replies by pixie
    • http://savoc.tripod.com
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 02:48:32 PM »
shoggoth wrote:
It's like saying we don't need no law enforcement - just tell people to be good instead. Then... there's reality. Applications are a lot more complex today compared to 20 years ago.

Yeah! Like death penalty had solved all criminality... oh wait!

pixie- writing from a paradise called Portugal