Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Intel Promises 20GHz by the end of 2006  (Read 5146 times)

Description:

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
Intel Promises 20GHz by the end of 2006
« on: April 03, 2002, 01:21:54 AM »
Intel Promises 20GHz by the end of 2006
Today Intel introduces a new turn on their roadmap, with the addition of Bumpless Build-Up Layer (BBUL) packaging technology.

This of course is not a revolution, since Intel has been working on this project for months (perhaps years), and only now we get a sneak peak. The new technology will allow Intel to reach the 1+ billion transistor mark, and clock the new chip at 20GHz. The 20GHz frequency number is completely theoretical, since transistor count does not directly mean higher clock speeds. More transistors will allow Intel to add on more execution units (more stages in a pipeline once again), and extra things which are in the works, but its still unclear how they can manage to pull off anywhere close to one billion transistors, with current manufacturing limits.

Chathurawind

Re: Intel Promises 20GHz by the end of 2006
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2002, 01:55:38 PM »
This is just an April 1st joke.
However INTEL had promised 10 GHz Prestonia chip at 2007. Actually IBM already have POWER CPU running at 4.5 GHz. I wish IBM will release 2 GHz PowerPC at the end of 2002.

Offline SilvrDrgn

• Show only replies by SilvrDrgn
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2002, 03:55:52 PM »
And by the time we reach 2006 or 2007, Microsoft's Bloatware will have expanded to the point where it will _STILL_ run slower than molasses in January.
Michael

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2002, 04:51:14 PM »
And by the time we reach 2006 or 2007, Microsoft's Bloatware will have expanded to the point where it will _STILL_ run slower than molasses in January.
I still don't understand the overt bias against Microsoft products.  

Sure, Windows is bigger than the 1985 AmigaOS.  If you want to compare apples to oranges, that's fine, but comparing Apples to Apples would be comparing the size of OS 3.9 to Microsoft DOS 6.2 with Windows 3.0.

Will someone please figure it out and stop with the whole "slow, bloated" crap?  If you integrated the exact same features and abilities in AmigaOS that are already present (and working) in Windows, then AmigaOS would be almost the same size.  Well admittedly not the same size, but it would be damned close.

I can hear you people whining about the imaginary "stability" of AmigaOS versus Windows, but that too is bullspit.  The last time I loaded AmigaOS 3.5 on a 1200 with an 060, it was rock stable.  I loaded a few apps such as a browser and stack (the absolute bare essentials) and it began crashing continuously.

My Windows box on the other hand, aside from one problem generated by my cable modem provider, hasn't needed a reboot for 89 days and I work on this machine continuously, 10 hours per day, 5 days per week.  Not to mention the gaming, mp3 creation, avi production, etcetera that I do after work.

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2002, 05:23:11 PM »
I still don't understand the overt bias against Microsoft products.

Sure, Windows is bigger than the 1985 AmigaOS. If you want to compare apples to oranges, that's fine, but comparing Apples to Apples would be comparing the size of OS 3.9 to Microsoft DOS 6.2 with Windows 3.0.

Will someone please figure it out and stop with the whole "slow, bloated" crap? If you integrated the exact same features and abilities in AmigaOS that are already present (and working) in Windows, then AmigaOS would be almost the same size. Well admittedly not the same size, but it would be damned close.

Wayne! Now you are just being plain silly! Nowhere near the same size! You can't compare Inefficient Programing with Efficient Programing!
-------------------------------------
      "The Bloatware Debate" is a technical discussion of how two separate people dissected one particular Microsoft program and found out, to their shock, that it was over 2,000% larger than it should have been. It would appear from this discussion that the cumbersome size of Microsoft programs is due not only to the continually growing clutter of useless features but it is also due to careless programming (perhaps to an even larger degree).

http://www.kmfms.com/whatsbad.html

-------------------------------------
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Chathurawind

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2002, 07:02:20 PM »
oh, so just because your amiga system crashed, then all must crash ?:)

but you can say same about win winers, just because your windows system
crashes, that means all windows systems crash ?

I guess its about configuration...but a standard WinME install
crashes more that a standard OS3.5

I only dislike windows because of the bloatware factor,
you cant strip down to a simple basic version to just let it run a
simple task....every feature is enabled at start and almost impossible to
remove, so they(MS) must think we(USERS) are so
stupid and not allowed to change anything, they
say their system and guts inside windows are so
advanced they cant remove IE :)

What if Hyperion locked Voyager to OS4.0
and impossible to remove :)

Chathurawind

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2002, 02:39:53 AM »
You should visit www.f**ckmicrosoft.com (you know what to replace the asterisks with). It's not a dumb abusive site, despite the name. In fact, it's a very well researched and presented site detailing all the things MS don't want us to know about. Therein you will find out quite why microsoft should be avoided at all costs. Hidden files, secret dir scanning, secret files: it's all there. You can even check its findings on a Windows PC if you don't believe the things said.

Read, and thou shalt see that MicroSoft is truly evil.

Offline scorchio

• Show only replies by scorchio
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2002, 03:14:15 AM »
Ok, before my rant about some of the stupid replies in this thread, 20Ghz - WOW! That will be amazing (and expensive to run..think of the power it would use) to see.

No doubt some people will reply the same way people replied to Wayne's comments, but....

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WILL THE PEOPLE WHO KEEP GOING ON ABOUT HOW BAD MS IS, PLEASE REMOVE THEIR HEADS FROM THEIR BOTTOMS"

I would put money on these people having absolutely no connections to civil liberties groups and so on. If you believe so much in freedom go and join them.

Has to be said, as processor development has gone on, then so has OS development, and accordingly the size has gone upwards.

For those who believe in the "though shall not claim my Amiga will crash"....then congratulations, your obviously one of the biggest experts out there, else your using "sod all" software!

Fact is, software development on the Amiga scene these days has to be of a similar standard to x86 standards...

WHY?

Easy, the community has shrunk so much we can not expect the quality of programmers we used to see years ago (although we still have some fantastic folks out there).

So....

In conclusion, we all accept x86 software can be sloppy, we all know MS like to spy on us, but that is life, again if you feel so strongly about is, go and join a civil libs group, as the majority of us who think with their head couldn't (and i use this carefully, as we are usually polite round here) give a rats ass.

I am Amiga fan, I have to use MS products, and now i have WinXP, I can say it is the first time I have enjoyed using and OS since I got my old 1200 with an 030 accelerator...it was amzing, this is the first time i have enjoyed using Windows and it's taken MS years to get it half right!

Enough ranting...

best regards to all,
scott

Just gotta put my fourpence in on this one
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2002, 05:02:32 PM »
While I agree that Microsoft can produce "good" software, I have to agree with the 'bloatware' school of thought where computer power takes precedence over efficient programming. If money was invested instead in more efficient programming then we wouldn't see our computers going out of date in a couple of years.

Re: Just gotta put my fourpence in on this one
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2002, 05:45:00 PM »
If money was invested instead in more efficient programming then we wouldn't see our computers going out of date in a couple of years.
Granted, but you wouldn't see millions employed in the computer industry, and you wouldn't see nearly the amount of software being written.  Need for faster hardware drives hardware sales, drives software development, drives employment, drives everything in the computer industry.

Chathurawind

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2002, 01:07:18 AM »
Um, no, sorry. Microsoft have completely stagnated the computing world by holding its monopoly for so many years. No content in this, they lie, cheat, spy and make sure that no competitor, no matter how trivial, has any chance to form.

Microsoft products are popular simply because most of the useful software out there requires it. Given knowledge and a choice, no person in their right mind would prefer microsoft. Their software is overhyped and horribly bloated, as well as being overpriced.

Microsoft can go to hell. The sooner they are destroyed, the sooner we can get back on track in making the home computer usable again.

Offline KrasH

• Show only replies by KrasH
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2002, 08:11:07 AM »
Interesting,

Now, I hope you don't have to put the computer in the freezer, or a have a freezer attached to the cpu..

I wonder if a computer system will be able to cope with the speed like that.. (hrm, maybe intel have friends at boeing, then they could have organic computer circuitry and possibly go faster than the speed of light)

Well if the cpu does come out at 20Ghz, it'd sure be a kick ass RC5 key cracker..

Regards

KrasH
Amiga 4000 CSPPC [retired]
Intel i7 3930K @ 4.3Ghz / Corsair H100 / Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 16 GB / 2 x 240GB Corsair Force GT SSD / 2 x EVGA 2GB 680GTX SC Sig / 3 x Benq XL2420T / 1 x Samsung 2443 BW+
27" iMac / i7 @ 3.4 / 680mx / 3TB Fusion / 32GB RAM

Offline scorchio

• Show only replies by scorchio
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2002, 01:56:03 PM »
Have to agree with KrasH here, it would kick ass for RC5 key cracking.

On the downside, what disapoints me, is the annonymous postings, at least give us a name to the voice, after all, those who grafiti walls usually leave a tag! -

All I'm saying is this is meant to be a community, not an annoymous MS bashing area.

Offline Skyraker

• Show only replies by Skyraker
    • http://www.wolves.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2002, 09:18:34 PM »
If anyone wants an example of bloatware then just take a look at waynes webcam ;)

Regards

Skyraker. ;-)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the body of an 18 year old ......... I keep it in the fridge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Chathurawind

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2002, 02:10:34 AM »
I have to agree with Wayne. I bought my first PC in January after hanging onto my Amiga for as long as I could.

I use my PC for several  hours each day. Since I bought it I have had only one (1) crash. One crash in three months - not bad! I am running Windows98SE.

With my Amiga, if I got one crash per SESSION I would consider myself a lucky guy.