Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Many Running AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Under Emulation and How's it Performing?  (Read 9082 times)

Description:

Offline AdvancedFollower

• Show all replies
    • https://roughlyit.hopto.org/
Quote from: outrun1978;836653
What people would be best off reporting back under emulation of OS4.1 on more powerful hardware is how well web browsing with Odyssey works, if they are able to stream Videos via SMTube and if they can run games Like Gorky 17, Quake II or Return to Castle Wolfenstein at a reasonable speed under emulation.   I would say if you arent able to run these at a reasonable speed then you are missing out on the fun.  

FYI I used to run OS4.1 FE with my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 under emulation and it struggled compared to running it on the dedicated hardware.

Odyssey isn't really usable under emulation on my Ryzen 1800X octa-core system. Netsurf is a little better but still much slower than under an emulated OS 3.x/68k WinUAE setup.

It's not just that the CPU emulation is rather slow, but there's no hardware desktop compositing, so scrolling/moving windows etc. is slow and unresponsive. Network speed is also pretty poor, and you're limited to around 500 MB of RAM (give or take).

Gaming and video playback are out of the question due to the lack of graphics acceleration.

It's great as a "try before you buy" (An AmigaOne) system, but not really usable on a daily basis.