Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Software router i suppose" Revisited  (Read 2618 times)

Description:

Offline ShadesOfGreyTopic starter

• Show all replies
"Software router i suppose" Revisited
« on: August 20, 2004, 11:48:55 PM »
Ok, I've got pretty much the same question as JJ did...  Except I'm actually looking for anything BUT a Windows based solution.  In-my-not-so-humble-opinion, Windows personal firewalls are all crap...  Mostly because Windows is crap.

Anyway, I'm looking for an opensource or freeware firewall that is:

1.) Easy to use!  And I mean really easy to use!!!  My folks have a harder enough time turning their computer on and getting on the web!  I need something even a great grandparent could use!

2.) Can be run on a PC with as little as a Pentium 120MHz w/16MB RAM.

3.) Has a host of remote management options (i.e. https, VNC, SSH, and/or X-server.)

4.) Can 'instantly' notify a user of 'un-authorized' net access in much the same way Windows based personal firewalls do.

The first three are essential.  The fourth I'm not sure is possible, given that you probably need to hook into the client OS...  But who knows, I've only recently started this odyssey.  Any guidance would be welcome.

BTW, I should probably mention that I already have a 'hardware' firewall in the guise of a Linksys WRT54G router.  Unfortunately the "ease of use" requirement disqualifies it.  While I'm computer literate enough to use it, I know my folks are not.  The last thing I want to do right now is be solely responsible for maintaining it or any other router, gateway, bridge, or firewall.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.

• Show all replies
Re: "Software router i suppose" Revisited
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 01:21:53 AM »

rayt wrote:
I don't really understand why it must be easy to operate for people with little computer knowledge. The firewall should be set up by the admin (you) and not be changed by simple users like grandparents etc.. Maybe some distros offer a gui for iptables configuration but normally you configure it via command line(script)..

My brother and I are renting the third floor at our parents' house at the moment.  But if/when I pack up and leave; I want them to be able to maintain the firewall themselves with as little assistance as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind being the live in PC tech or tutor.  But I shudder to think what will happen if/when I'm not around.  I spent close to 60% of my summer vacation fixing a relative's horribly mangled Windows PC.  Trojans, Ad-ware, Spy-ware, search bars, pop-ups galore...

What's worse is that Mal-ware will only get worse.  So I'd like to find some means of protecting my parents (and brother) that they themselves can use and understand.

That said, I have started to look at firewall Linux distros.  Hopefully I'll find time next week to play around with one or two...
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 08:41:02 PM »
@billchase

No I haven't, but I'll at least try it out now.

The biggest problem I've had so far is finding out what options are available...  I mean Linux based solutions alone (full and embedded/firewall distros alike) are so numerous as to be overwhelming.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 08:57:39 PM »
@aardvark

I agree, as a first line of defense I wouldn't by a router without some form of firewall protection.  But I also need something that I'm pretty confident my folks can deal with.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 09:04:59 PM »
@adz

IPCop was one of the first Linux firewall distros I d/l'd...  I'm just waitng for the second NIC to arrive (I only had one when I thought I had two) to try it out.  I'm a bit concerned though that the box I plan to use may not meet the install requirements.  IIRC, IPCop may require more RAM to sucessfully install depending on the size of the partition used...  Right now, my little P120 box only has 16MB and I haven't been able to find that stash of 72-pin SIMMs I had.

If all else fails, I suppose I could use my old PII-400, even though I did have other plans for it.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 05:11:15 PM »
@Thread

While reading Tom's Hardware last night, I came across something that might be of interest to other participants of this thread..  A BSD based firewall distro by the name of m0n0wall.  Given the number of opensource firewalls out there based on Linux, having one based on BSD is in some way...  Refreshing?

It certainly should be for those who, for one reason or another, prefer BSD over Linux.  Personally I don't care as long as it works.  So it, along with the other solutions suggested in the thread will be part of my evaluation roster.