Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CUSA makes the BBC news site  (Read 13704 times)

Description:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
Re: CUSA makes the BBC news site
« on: April 08, 2011, 12:25:22 AM »
Quote from: rdolores;629791
Whether these machines can really capture the essence of the old Commodore/Amiga computers remains to be seen. But they've already done something that all the others since 1994 have failed to do. Create a sense of excitement.

I hate to bang a drum here, but ... you can find out right now.

Load up UAE and Vice on your PC. Does it feel like an amiga/C64 now?

Hooray. You've captured the essence of the old commodore machines.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:18:30 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;630003
BBC, LA Times, Guardian, Fox...

Wow, some great media coverage there!

And that tells us, in black on white, how much all those grumpy "but who's gonna be interested in this when it's just a PC in a custom case" kind of comments was worth, hehe! :p ;)

:)

I'll see you a news story and raise you the comments of pretty much every single person who's seen the price and specs ;)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 04:46:53 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;630093

Frankly I hope CUSA provides - either through UAE/WinUAE or some other means - a method of seamlessly running Amiga apps on the new Amiga-branded hardware they sell.  Not because I give a fig (software wise, there's nothing on the Amiga of any use to me except the occasional game), but just so it can be demonstrated who actually sells an Amiga.

Why not just buy a PC at half the price from Dell, and install UAE?

Im not actually just bitching about the price here. I am genuinely missing what possible benefit CUSA is bringing to "the brand" that isn't already available with any other PC out there

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 06:29:55 PM »
Quote from: Belial6;630136
You keep asking athe same question, and keep getting valid responses.  What part of the many responses don't you understand?  Is it the part that people like the case?  Is it the part that hacking cases is not what MOST people want to do?  Is it the part where the machine is only about the case price more than the cost equivelent machines?  Is it the part that given the statements made by CUSA, and what they have accomplished so  far, people are interested in the software that is likely to be delivered?  The list goes on.

I took the first couple of times that you asked the same question as you just not getting it.  But, now you have had the question answered multiple times, and you just keep pretending like you haven't been answered.

So the answer to what CUSA brings to the amiga brand is a C64 case, and the promise of a linux distribution?

You are right. I don't get it. Maybe Im getting dumber as Im getting older.

You can believe me or dismiss you at your leisure, but the reason I keep asking is that I am genuinely puzzled. All these years.. all the infighting and arguing and all the different projects, and this is what we were waiting for?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:35:59 PM by runequester »

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:18:19 PM »
Quote from: Belial6;630195
No, and I don't believe that you really are that dense.  I think you are putting HUGE effort into not understanding.

One thing they bring to the table is Case styling.  First a very good C64 case.  While their case is expensive, custom cases often are.  For example: http://www.xoxide.com/pccases.html#shop-by-featured

Look at the price of the C64x case alone, and you will find that the added cost of the rest of the computer is pretty much on par with what you would find elsewhere for similar equipment.  Heck, even TheDaddy's case was over a hundred dollars, and The C64x is a far more advanced case than that.  The complaints about price are simply not comparing apples to apples.

A c64 case is entirely and completely irrelevant to the amiga.
As I've said repeatedly on this forum, once they have an "amiga" product, then we'll see, and I've even supported giving them their own forum, alongside morph, aros etc.

Second, you are fully aware that software wise CUSA is talking about more than just a linux distro.  They have been very clear that they want to start with linux as a jumping off point.  Just as Apple started with BSD as a jumping off point.  They are also talking about legal and pre-configured C64 and AmigaOS compatibility via emulation.  You are fully aware of that, and pretending like you don't know that is simply playing dumb.  You have been too involved in these conversations to have missed them, and you clearly brighter than that.

Actually,when Barry answered some of my questions on this forum in the past, it seemed pretty clear that we're talking linux plus emulation.

Anything in writing, from the company, with specifics of more than linux+vice/UAE would be welcome, and actually be relevant and interesting news.

There's been tons of speculation by people not affiliated with CUSA. I'd love to see specifics, other than what was already revealed by CUSA themselves months ago. Not the rantings of Dammy on Moobunny or whatever.

If there's actual evidence that they are developing some sort of OS themselves, I'd love to see it. /that/ would actually be interesting and highly relevant.
Anyone undertaking this effort in 2011 is either loaded beyond belief with money and talent or crazy. For all we know, Barry might be both.

What that leaves us with is your repeated questions asking what CUSA brings to the table is simply trolling.  You don't WANT to know what they bring to the table, but try as you might, you certainly do know it.  It may not be for you, but putting your head in the sand isn't going to make it go away.  It also won't make you stop knowing the truth.

The truth is what is actually available for customers to buy. Nothing more. Nothing less.

So we are basing this all on future promises then?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:26:38 PM by runequester »

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:56:32 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;630207
After looking at Powerbooks (for future use under MorphOS) I've got to admit that I am impressed with the build quality.
Even though all these are several years old, most are still in good shape and they have many of the features you mentioned (backlit keyboards, aluminum bodies).
I can't wait to see one of these in action.

My wife still uses an old G4 power mac as her main laptop. Sturdy little beasts. Outlived pretty much any other laptop she's had.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 09:39:18 PM »
Quote from: Belial6;630213
This is where your faking ignorance again.  I have personally explained that you you previously.  You may disagree, but you definitely understand that the C64 was Commodore's predecessor to the Amiga.  CUSA is claiming that they are following the same path and are going to release Amiga's also.  You may disagree with what defines "Amiga", but you definitely understand the connection.  You may not want to, but you do.  Continuing to claim that you are incapable of seeing anyone's point of view but your own is simply trolling.

The C64 was designed by entirely different people, under different management and in a different era, based on different hardware.
Its only connection is that it was done by the same company. The similarities are as big as they are between windows mobile and windows 3.1.

If you feel like a C64 case is a big deal for the amiga community, then good for you.

Yes, the method that they have been talking about in providing C64 and AmigaOS compatibility is via UAE.  Emulation is the ONLY way that compatibility can be achieved.  Every OS that isn't on a 68K is using emulation for compatibility with the 68k.  You are aware of this.  Pretending like you don't understand how this relates to Amiga is beyond silly.  And you can be sure that if DELL started talking big about including AmigaOS compatibility via emulation on their systems standard from the factory, they would definitely be discussed here.  You may not find a manufacturer shipping systems that can run Amiga 68k code standard interesting, but claiming that you don't understand why other people do is just trolling.

The relevance to the amiga community is a bundled emulator? You genuinely feel that this is somehow going to resurrect the amiga?
That people should be excited that someone is bundling an emulator with a stock linux install ?

When people talk about how much good CUSA is doing to the brand, this is what there is to point to?

They have stated their plan to use Linux as a starting point.  Just as Apple used BSD as a starting point.  This was explained to you in the very post you responded to.  You might not agree with it as a good direction to go.  You might believe they will fail, but you definitely understand why there is interest in it.  Pretending like you don't is simply trolling.

Links to concrete plans for what they are doing please? Even the "commodore OS" discussions on their own forums are painfully vague beyond "linux and emulation".
Dates? Package management? Window manager? File systems? What will be unique to this distribution? How many people are involved in this? What sort of file systems will it run on?

Not hopefull well wishing but actual stuff they have announced. As I said before, a ways back, when Barry spent some time answering questions, the responses given were very straight forward. I don't see what mis representing them on the company's behalf is doing for you, other than wishful thinking and the urge to defend a company.
Dammy is doing a pretty good job at inventing things over on moobunny. I don't think he needs the help.

So, just like a huge number of other Amiga related topics that you understand the interest in.  Again, pretending to not understand is simple trolling.

Good for you. You won the internet.

Partially yes, although CUSA has proven that they can do at least some things that many nay sayers have claimed they could not.  So, they have started to create credibilty to their claims.  Of course, you are certainly aware that credibility has never had a bearing on whether something is Amiga related or not.  So, trying to claim that you don't understand the relationship between CUSA and Amiga based on that is....Yep.  Trolling.

They have proven themselves when there's an actual product in peoples hands. Care to review yours or are we still waiting for June when the 64x ships?

You are trying to sound "Reasonable" by claiming that you are not bitching, complaining or taking sides, and that you "I am genuinely missing what possible benefit CUSA is bringing to "the brand" that isn't already available with any other PC out there".  The fact is that you are bitching and complaining.  It isn't that there is something anything about CUSA that you don't understand.  It's that they are not pushing your particular strain of Amiga, and you don't get why everyone else doesn't just agree with you, and you feel that playing dumb makes you look better than taking the Franko route.

Thats the best you could do for a personal attack? Nobody takes any pride in anything anymore.

To sum this up: My disbelief is that a bunch of people is getting fired up about all the good this is doing the amiga brand.. based on a theoretical future product with an unspecified software solution that everybody but the company says will be an amazing new system.
Oh, and a C64 case running ubuntu.

And you wonder why people don't understand it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:44:19 PM by runequester »

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 10:15:49 PM »
Quote from: Hammer;630231
Commodore 64 was shipped with Microsoft Basic as it's user interface. Shipping with Microsoft Windows just follows this path.

They don't ship with windows btw.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 10:29:47 PM »
Quote from: Hammer;630249
C64 was still shipped with Microsoft's user interface solution. Microsoft Windows follows Microsoft Basic's OEM business model.

For user interface, there are plenty of 8bit micro-computers with shipped Microsoft Basic.
Microsoft's early success wasn't fluke.

I think at least one of us is misunderstanding the other :)

What I meant was the 64x does not ship with windows.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 06:44:57 AM »
Quote from: brenry;630355
Apple remains in the market because they just don't "sell pc's".. they control the whole architecture with the os and components.  Apple is not in the same ballpark as Hewlette Packard or Compaq that deal in cheap hardware using other people's technology.. which CUSA falls into.

Sort of kind of.
The hardware Apple uses has always been commodity stuff that anyone could have used. They just pick very specific stuff to ship, and make sure the OS supports that, then don't worry about anything else out there.

In PC land, the assumption has always been that the developers make an OS (windows, linux), and the hardware guys make drivers if needed, or make documentation available to the OS can handle it.

PC manufacturers like HP and all those just put parts together and sell a package.

Incidentally, while Im not a huge apple fan, they do benefit from being able to "just work" in most cases.
In PC land, having to try and support every piece of crap out there either means
A: It runs like shit (windows)
B: Its hard as hell to set up (linux)

Nowadays, windows runs pretty well and linux is pretty easy to set up, but its taken a loooong time to get there, and a lot of compatibility was broken along the way.

As an aside, its one of those things where amiga fans will say "Why does the OS take up XXXX gigabytes of hard drive space??" and miss the point. A linux distro aimed at only running on a 68060 and nothing else wouldn't take much more space than amiga OS would. (heck, DSL takes less space than OS 3.9 anyways).
But if you want it to reasonably run on anything you put it on, its gonna bloat. Same for windows.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:48:05 AM by runequester »