Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CUSA makes the BBC news site  (Read 13696 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: CUSA makes the BBC news site
« on: April 07, 2011, 03:31:43 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;629577
You don't get it because CUSA is involved in something completely unfamiliar to the modern Amiga enthusiast: marketing.
absolutely.  i only discovered the modern world after seeing a video from @danwood and reading a review over at OSnews.  i know that hyperion and the MOS development teams seem wholly focused on people already 'in the know,' but you'd be surprised how many hobbyists out there are interested in stuff like this. not just ex-amigans, but people who used ataris, people who want something, well, different.

and, no, none of our modern amiga solutions can effectively compete on a price/performance basis with consumer-grade x86/x64 kit, but then again, the CUSA products are more expensive than their competitors as well.

with most social media now online and, for the most part, free, i don't see why hyperion, the MOS development team, AROS enthusiasts, et al, don't start some marketing activities.  the X1000 got rather a lot of press, and that was just because of a few emails.  imagine how much more so with dedicated marketing.  even if it only attracts a few hundred new users (rather than the untold masses that will know about CUSA), that's still a healthy increase in numbers.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 03:49:27 PM »
Quote from: number6;629580
Lack of management. If you don't care for that term, call it lack of leadership. Either way.
i'm not so sure.  at least on the hyperion side, i think it's more an assumption that the broader hobbyist world wouldn't be interested.  at amiwest this was one of the things i asked ben hermans, and i really think they are 'selling themselves short' a little.  what makes the 'modern' amiga platform(s) so interesting is that they are 'retro' and 'modern' all at the same time. they work rather differently than mainstream personal computing platforms, and that very difference is what appeals to a few of us.  that and we can actually do something with them.

i'm also surprised the MOS guys haven't been frequenting mac fora, given that people with older mac kit might be interested in something kewl to replace OSX eventually.

but in the end, i'm just a user and enthusiast.  it's up to the principals to determine the best direction for their products, not me; and if they prefer this approach, so be it.  i just really think they might be overlooking a potential market.

-- eliyahu

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 03:57:49 PM »
Quote from: number6;629587
I respect your opinion and always will.
I still stand by my own on this one.
fair enough. i've also only been around here about a year now and know little about anything 'amiga' prior to 2009.

there's probably something i'm missing. :)

-- eliyahu

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »
@Jorkany

i know you're not a huge fan of hyperion or the chaps that work there, to say the least. and i understand there's a huge amount of history here.  but having met him in person, and using his product, i rather like the guy.  i can appreciate there are others who do not.

let's not derail this thread any more than we've already done. :lol:

-- eliyahu

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 08:29:13 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;629701
Management aside - what do any of them *really* have to offer to the general public worth "marketing"? I'd say "not much"!

It's a hobby for enthusiasts. Nothing for the broad consumer markets.
i would agree that, for the general public, none of the 'amiga' platforms today are terribly competitive. for computing enthusiasts, on the other hand, they have rather a lot to offer.  i mean, that's why i'm here. :)

barry hit on something big and i'm genuinely thrilled for him and leo.  it's not something we're all especially interested in, but that's because we're not the target.  but don't sell the hobbyist market short.  there's a bunch of us out there, and OS4 and MOS have something to offer. well, at least in my opinion they do.

-- eliyahu