Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CUSA makes the BBC news site  (Read 13498 times)

Description:

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
Re: CUSA makes the BBC news site
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 01:20:57 PM »
Cusa website seems to be down at the time of posting, no suprise given all the media attention it's getting at the moment.
They should use this downtime to give it an overhaul ...

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 01:31:50 PM »
Yippie, a PC in a C64 case.  Why does anyone care about such a $600 gimmick?  I don't get it.

Offline TCMSLP

• Show only replies by TCMSLP
    • http://www.coherer.net
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 02:58:20 PM »
Because it's retro!  People have great childhood memories of the C64 and this is a great tribute to this;  A modern usable machine with retro styling.
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!

Offline psxphill

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 03:04:06 PM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;629567
Because it's retro! People have great childhood memories of the C64 and this is a great tribute to this; A modern usable machine with retro styling.

Yes & in the future people will pay money to reminisce about how they used to bitch and moan about things that were pointless on the internet.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:06:58 PM »
The should sell it on those home shopping channels and put it on 4 easy pays.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 03:12:48 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;629570
Yes & in the future people will pay money to reminisce about how they used to bitch and moan about things that were pointless on the internet.

Hahahaha! That would be brilliantly twisted. The medium for experiencing the nostalgia would most likely be different from the medium being discussed, like Moobunny: The Film. ; )
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline narcea

• Show only replies by narcea
    • http://www.mind-driver.com
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 03:23:17 PM »
With all this attention CUSA is getting shouldn't AROS/ICAROS/X1000 ETC post some news? Certainly people will be searching for what happened to Amiga.

Instead they may find this site and see all the bickering and sour grapes and be turned off to these projects.... just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:24:52 PM by narcea »

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 03:25:17 PM »
Quote from: orb85750;629541
Yippie, a PC in a C64 case.  Why does anyone care about such a $600 gimmick?  I don't get it.

You don't get it because CUSA is involved in something completely unfamiliar to the modern Amiga enthusiast: marketing.

Quote from: narcea;629576
With all this attention CUSA is getting shouldn't AROS/ICAROS/X1000 ETC post some news?

They do post news. That doesn't do anything to promote AROS, MOS, OS4, etc. though. Like I said, marketing is an alien concept today in the world of Amiga.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:28:08 PM by jorkany »

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 03:31:43 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;629577
You don't get it because CUSA is involved in something completely unfamiliar to the modern Amiga enthusiast: marketing.
absolutely.  i only discovered the modern world after seeing a video from @danwood and reading a review over at OSnews.  i know that hyperion and the MOS development teams seem wholly focused on people already 'in the know,' but you'd be surprised how many hobbyists out there are interested in stuff like this. not just ex-amigans, but people who used ataris, people who want something, well, different.

and, no, none of our modern amiga solutions can effectively compete on a price/performance basis with consumer-grade x86/x64 kit, but then again, the CUSA products are more expensive than their competitors as well.

with most social media now online and, for the most part, free, i don't see why hyperion, the MOS development team, AROS enthusiasts, et al, don't start some marketing activities.  the X1000 got rather a lot of press, and that was just because of a few emails.  imagine how much more so with dedicated marketing.  even if it only attracts a few hundred new users (rather than the untold masses that will know about CUSA), that's still a healthy increase in numbers.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 03:34:35 PM »
You know with all this media attention that they are getting, it would seem to me that the journalists and media companies who publish this stuff don't know the  true story yet... ;)

It's would be such a pity to spoil this wee party by sending these journalists and media outlets some of Barrys own posts that he's made and the ones that Leo made over the past months about this community and real Amiga & enthusiasts and maybe even point out to these media outlets about a certain company stealing other for artworks & IP  to use on their own site and point them in the right direction... ;)

Hmmm... wonder who would have spent all morning doing such a thing as that... :roflmao:

Offline number6

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 03:44:01 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;629578
i don't see why hyperion, the MOS development team, AROS enthusiasts, et al, don't start some marketing activities.

Lack of management. If you don't care for that term, call it lack of leadership. Either way.

Offline crawff

• Show only replies by crawff
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 03:44:27 PM »
Hmmm... I don't think it would be you Franko.... :-)

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 03:49:27 PM »
Quote from: number6;629580
Lack of management. If you don't care for that term, call it lack of leadership. Either way.
i'm not so sure.  at least on the hyperion side, i think it's more an assumption that the broader hobbyist world wouldn't be interested.  at amiwest this was one of the things i asked ben hermans, and i really think they are 'selling themselves short' a little.  what makes the 'modern' amiga platform(s) so interesting is that they are 'retro' and 'modern' all at the same time. they work rather differently than mainstream personal computing platforms, and that very difference is what appeals to a few of us.  that and we can actually do something with them.

i'm also surprised the MOS guys haven't been frequenting mac fora, given that people with older mac kit might be interested in something kewl to replace OSX eventually.

but in the end, i'm just a user and enthusiast.  it's up to the principals to determine the best direction for their products, not me; and if they prefer this approach, so be it.  i just really think they might be overlooking a potential market.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 03:49:42 PM »
someone has wwwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyy too much free time on their hands.