Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Programmer for Hire!  (Read 5366 times)

Description:

Offline SamuraiCrowTopic starter

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
Hollywood Programmer for Hire!
« on: February 13, 2019, 02:49:44 PM »
Hello!

Having recently been let go from my night job at a local retail store, I'm available to write Hollywood scripts and simple C plugins for you! I have equipment to support ARM Linux, x86-64 Linux, Windows x86-64, AmigaOS 3 or 4.1. For others I will need an outside tester.

If it is a large project, I'd suggest setting it up as a series of smaller sub-projects with payouts at the completion of each stage. Such a bounty system is the most fair and allows me to pursue other interests on the side while most commercial jobs often don't.

In return, I will make documented and well-commented code that can be understood by other developers if you decide to hire somebody else for part of all of the remaining sub-projects.

I'm looking forward to working for you when you need it! My qualifications include a 4 year degree in computer science from Minnesota State University, Mankato campus, here in the U.S.A. so don't be shy! The worst I can say is "Find somebody else!"  ;)

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
Re: Hollywood Programmer for Hire!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 08:27:01 PM »
How much would you charge to port this? ;)

https://github.com/dulsi/btbuilder

I don't need it, as I am the primary artist and I use the Windows/Linux versions, but I'd help start a bounty for an Amiga port. Since BTCS was originally on the Amiga and BTBuilder is compatible with the Bard's Tale Construction Set, it would be nice to have another game engine for these antiquated systems. I'd even be willing to fire up UAE to make Amiga-specific graphics for lower-end Amigas.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 07:01:18 AM »
It would be easier just to leave it in C++ than to port it to Hollywood.  Either way we might need to start out with graphics card support until your new graphics will be complete.  Let me check on the library dependencies before I come back with a proposed development scheme.

EDIT:
It appears to be using SDL2 instead of SDL 1.2, C++11 rather than original C++, Boost is a no-go, the Ogg Vorbis audio will need a beefy Amiga or need unpacking into huge uncompressed samples.  I guess that leads me to the question of what requirements do you want it done in?  An Amiga 500 will need a complete rewrite in C.  Targetting a Vampire will be easier but still need a lot rewritten but won't need new graphics.

What'll it be?  Stock Amiga with little RAM (maybe 1 meg) will be expensive to develop since I won't be able to use most of the internal code.  Beefier and I can use some more of the original resources.  OS friendly will be cheaper because I don't have to reinvent the wheels for intuition screens.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:43:44 AM by SamuraiCrow »

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 01:24:37 AM »
It would be easier just to leave it in C++ than to port it to Hollywood.  Either way we might need to start out with graphics card support until your new graphics will be complete.  Let me check on the library dependencies before I come back with a proposed development scheme.

I assumed this from the start. ;) As I said, I don't have a need for it, but I thought I would hint at it to see if anyone else would want to support a bounty on it.

As for graphics, it's only using png and ming. I know Amiga datatypes support png, but I'm not sure about ming. I'm rusty with DPaint, but I should still be able to convert all the new artwork to ILBM. If I remember Dulsi saying correctly (and this was years ago) it's 100% compatible with BTCS. I'm not sure if that means ILBMs or not. A lot of things don't have graphics, like the icons for status effects, but that's more due to the developer not adding things I wanted and slow development, so I just stopped working on it and moved on to other things.

EDIT:
It appears to be using SDL2 instead of SDL 1.2, C++11 rather than original C++, Boost is a no-go, the Ogg Vorbis audio will need a beefy Amiga or need unpacking into huge uncompressed samples.  I guess that leads me to the question of what requirements do you want it done in?  An Amiga 500 will need a complete rewrite in C.  Targetting a Vampire will be easier but still need a lot rewritten but won't need new graphics.

What'll it be?  Stock Amiga with little RAM (maybe 1 meg) will be expensive to develop since I won't be able to use most of the internal code.  Beefier and I can use some more of the original resources.  OS friendly will be cheaper because I don't have to reinvent the wheels for intuition screens.

Does anyone even use a stock Amiga 500 anymore? I have a dead one in my garage that I haven't touched in years. On my Windows machine, it uses up like 4 to 6 megs of ram. That, with an 030, is what I would be expecting to be stock minimum to run BTCS. AGA means I don't have to dither or change the images. Adding ECS just means I'd have to make 2 sets of images. Standard screen is either 320x200 or 640x400. It has unlimited resolution, but the highest I was working on was 1600x1000, since that's the largest size I could fit on my laptop. Again, I dropped it, 'cos there's been little to no development for the last 2 years or so. (I wanted multiple attacks, but the developer didn't want to rewrite code to allow it. - Lots of little things I asked for got skimmed over.)

This isn't heavy at all. I run it on an old 1.1 ghz Celeron laptop with 128mb of ram.

Look at the code and decide how much it's worth to port. We'll see if we can't start you a bounty so you get some monies and Amiga-land gets a new engine to play with. If you can edit xml files, the amount you can do with it is outstanding. A lot of what I wanted to do, however, is hard-coded and can't be changed, which is why I've been disappointed with it.

\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 02:52:53 AM »
https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn

I think we need this more than anything.  ;-)

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 04:00:01 AM »
@lou_dias
The .NET framework is a little bit heavy for an Amiga.  Mono uses LLVM as its compiler infrastructure and JIT which would be useful even by itself.  A 68k Debian developer is working on a backend but it's still Linux only at this point.

@Methuselas
If you'd like a redecorated engine that doesn't have hard coded features for compatibility, we can talk that direction.  MNG is unsupported at this time though Hollywood supports APNG via plug-in.  I know this is not a demanding application but I am unsure about how likely a bounty on this would pay the bills.  If Bebbo's GCC cross compiler port supports C++11 libraries I'd be more confident.  Maybe it does and this is much ado about nothing.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 02:26:52 PM »
It would be amazing to write code in VB.net using Visual Studio and compile for Amiga...  ;)
I loathe C/C++...and anything that looks like it.  (JAVA, Javascript, C#, PHP, etc...)

Perhaps I should give Hollywood a look...

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 04:43:48 PM »
Hollywood is spendy but worth it.  Check the list of plug-in libraries before you buy.  RapaGUI is powerful and has its manual online in the help tab of the website.  Here's the url: http://hollywood-mal.com .  Hollywood isn't as object oriented as VB.NET but is easy to learn.