Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aweb and Ibrowse... Only options?  (Read 2975 times)

Description:

Offline MalakieTopic starter

• 'Karma' doesn't choose. It just is! (2020 -T.B.)
    • Show all replies
    • Streaming Channel (including Amiga stuff)
Aweb and Ibrowse... Only options?
« on: August 09, 2021, 06:02:41 PM »
Hi,

Are AWEB and Ibrowse the only options we have for internet browsers?   Are either of them supported?

Many websites I try do not load correctly or at all in either...  This website is one example.    If these are the only two options, I have to admit I am very surprised no one has updated them or come up with a new working browser for Amiga use with all the other support out there.

Being that both Edge and Chrome are using the same engine back end now and of course there is Firefox as well, on PC, has no one considered porting any of those three to Amiga OS?

While I can always use a PC for internet, I actually really wanted to use my Amigas for some online things directly without the hassle.

Any info on this?

Take it light...... :-D

Malakie

Offline MalakieTopic starter

• 'Karma' doesn't choose. It just is! (2020 -T.B.)
    • Show all replies
    • Streaming Channel (including Amiga stuff)
Re: Aweb and Ibrowse... Only options?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 07:17:38 PM »
For classic Amigas you don't really have a better solution as they are too weak do decrypt modern security protocols without timeout errors.
With PPC and AmigaOS4+ you can run Odyssey browser, on MorphOS you even have a quite modern port called Wayfarer.

There is an option to provide a special proxy with adapted protocols for the Amiga part of your home network however.

Which is why I said I was surprised no one has adapted the open chromium (Edge and Chrome base engine) stuff to Amiga..  While a 68000 processor may not be able to handle the encryptions without time out, a 68020 with FPU/MMU should be able to do so..  But someone would have to port things to the Amiga in the first place.

I don't have an Amiga that can run 4.1 from what I have read of the basics of the Amiga OS 4.x stuff... Or does that OS actually work on all Amiga systems and I misunderstood?

Take it light...... :-D

Malakie