Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help to open-source SAS/C  (Read 4370 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: Help to open-source SAS/C
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 04, 2016, 04:48:56 AM »
Quote from: IanP;817250
Isn't SAS a multibillion dollar company, if so I doubt they would put a price on an ancient Amiga classic compiler. Whether you could find anybody there willing to put the time and effort into open sourcing it is also doubtful but you never know, good luck.

not sure of their budget. but doesnt the multibillion company, you may be referring to, rather go by the name of "SAP"? however, software by any actually operating company may be beyond any such "pricetag". id love to be wrong..

Offline kamelito

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 07:10:37 AM »
Doug Walker : http://doug.walkerfamily.name/
The other two you can contact through LinkedIn

I suggest that someone like Olsen or Thor contact them.

Kamelito

Offline olsen

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 07:12:09 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;817264
not sure of their budget. but doesnt the multibillion company, you may be referring to, rather go by the name of "SAP"? however, software by any actually operating company may be beyond any such "pricetag". id love to be wrong..

You're going to love this then ;)

It is indeed SAS and not SAP. The compiler identifies itself as SAS/C when you run it.

SAS Institute acquired the Lattice 'C' compiler back in 1987, if I remember correctly, so as to make their software more portable across different computer platforms. SAS Institute no longer had to rely upon 3rd party software for that purpose.

Lattice 'C' was the first commercially available 'C' software development solution which ran natively on the Amiga operating system. After the acquisition the product name was changed to SAS/C (version 5). If I remember correctly, product support for SAS/C on the Amiga ceased in 1995. You could still buy the compiler at that time, while SAS Institute was liquidating the available stock.

Offline kamelito

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 07:13:13 AM »
Quote from: gregthecanuck;817260
A quick google search turned up at least one download of 6.50 with the patches. It has been there a while with no issue so far.

Note that I do own a real copy of SAS/C but backup images for the diskettes are always welcome.

Only the patches were available for free.
Kamelito

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 02:20:27 PM »
Quote from: olsen;817269
You're going to love this then ;)

It is indeed SAS and not SAP. The compiler identifies itself as SAS/C when you run it.

i was referring to ianp post, where i assumed he might have mistaken SAS for SAP. im not sure if SAS is multibillion company. SAP is, i guess.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 02:21:12 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;817268
Doug Walker : http://doug.walkerfamily.name/
The other two you can contact through LinkedIn

I suggest that someone like Olsen or Thor contact them.

Kamelito

i think its been agreed upon jens does it.

Offline IanP

• Show only replies by IanP
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 03:25:04 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;817276
i was referring to ianp post, where i assumed he might have mistaken SAS for SAP. im not sure if SAS is multibillion company. SAP is, i guess.
SAS Annual Report 2015 (pdf) page 13 shows revenue for the year $3.16B.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 05:15:01 PM »
Quote from: IanP;817283
SAS Annual Report 2015 (pdf) page 13 shows revenue for the year $3.16B.

mm. sorry. not sure, if thats good news.