Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amigacoin  (Read 16177 times)

Description:

Offline sonountalebanTopic starter

• Show only replies by sonountaleban
Amigacoin
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:44:49 PM »
Hello,
I am an Amiga fan since '90s and it is the first time that I write here.  So, I started to look Bitcoin world in these months and I thought that  may be useful for Amiga community. Therefore I made a (Litecoin) clone  called Amigacoin to support our lovely platform. You can read more here:  www.amigacoin.org
Sorry for crappy graphic, but I am only a programmer.
There are executables and sources for Linux and Windows, very soon it  will be available for Mac OS X and I also hope for Amiga in the future,  but I think there are some difficult libraries to convert (Boost and  Berkeley DB).
If someone wants some Amigacoins, write me privately.

Offline digiflip

• Show only replies by digiflip
Re: Amigacoin
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:56:23 PM »
does your amigacoin miner program work on amiga computers 68k or power pc cpus?
Neptuno, Ultimate MiSTer, vidor Replay, a500+ pistorming, a1200 stock, V4 SA

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 09:04:33 PM »
Ehm, no, sorry, it's just the client (=wallet). Furthermore a miner for 68k will be too much slow, usually you need a powerful graphics card like Radeon HD or (if you don't have it) a very high spec. cpu (latest AMDs and Intel). Obviously you can use Pentium 4-like processors, but don't expect a lot of coins, especially when difficulty rises. Maybe I'll make an Amiga PPC version of wallet in the future.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 09:23:13 PM »
With Bitcoin itself currently in the middle of a collapse that handily illustrates why an unregulated virtual currency is a stupid idea, what need is there for yet another knockoff?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 12:52:45 PM »
Yes and no. It has some big problems (MtGox bankruptcy for example), maybe it might collapse as you say or not. The situation is still quite uncertain and we'll know better in the next weeks/months. However its price is stable since first weeks of this year yet.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 01:15:41 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;759907
With Bitcoin itself currently in the middle of a collapse that handily illustrates why an unregulated virtual currency is a stupid idea, what need is there for yet another knockoff?

Which collapse ? MtGox is bankrupt, the rest of the exchanges are trading like normal.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 01:32:27 PM »
Would be cool to have an Amiga Coin listed :-)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 01:48:55 PM »
If it was made 68K only and mining adjusted for Amiga I would give it a go otherwise no thanks :/

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 02:27:20 PM »
Ehm, sorry, it cannot be done by 68k processors because they're too much slow, maybe for PowerPC, but one Amiga Developer (Guillaume Boesel) has tried to convert it to Ubuntu PPC (for Amiga X1000) and it doesn't work properly. I think it needs to rewrite many parts. :/
As I wrote somewhere it may be a way to support our community (for example "paying" developers/artists/translators/testers) and advertise Amiga platform outside its "niche marketplace". :)

Quote from: som99;759942
If it was made 68K only and mining adjusted for Amiga I would give it a go otherwise no thanks :/

Offline Rob

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 02:37:41 PM »
Bitcoin is a pyramid scheme.

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 02:42:55 PM »
You're right if you want to do speculation and profit, it really depends how is used by us.

Quote from: Rob;759945
Bitcoin is a pyramid scheme.

PS. I'm not a Bitcoin fan, but I only think it has very useful technologies for certain contexts.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:11:47 PM by sonountaleban »

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 04:12:23 PM »
Quote from: sonountaleban;759944
Ehm, sorry, it cannot be done by 68k processors because they're too much slow, maybe for PowerPC, but one Amiga Developer (Guillaume Boesel) has tried to convert it to Ubuntu PPC (for Amiga X1000) and it doesn't work properly. I think it needs to rewrite many parts. :/
As I wrote somewhere it may be a way to support our community (for example "paying" developers/artists/translators/testers) and advertise Amiga platform outside its "niche marketplace". :)

I ment if the mining was totally rewritten to be made for 68K as in complexity fitting the hardware, I understand that as it works now it's way to complex for the 68K CPU's but making new mining system based on 68K and then 68K natively only (so not people could punch out extreme amounts of blocks mined on emulators etc) would be possible but a lot of work and then it would be interesting for me since only Amiga users would mine then.

I know it wouldent happen but if it was going to happen I would mine with my Amigas :)

Beside if it would work as mentioned above I am no fan of any of the crypto-currencies and wouldn't use any of them.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 08:00:36 PM »
Dear God, no more coin variants.  Dogecoin was bad enough in regards to showing what something as neat as crypto currency could be when it turns into a novelty item.  And I say that as someone who mined 50 BTC (and still mines LTC)in the early days of Bitcoin, lol.

That being said, if one was able to actually mine them on an Amiga-like system, it'd be a fun little experiment to see how things turned out, but commodity hardware mining is a bit meh with all these variants.

Offline Pakrat

• Show only replies by Pakrat
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 10:47:48 PM »
If one wants to do coin mining on a 68K Amiga, the only practical way I can think of is to use one or more USB ASIC coin miners with a compatible USB Amiga card (Thylacine, Subway, Deneb). It's not 'cheating' to do this, as the coin mining software would be 68K code running on the machine, accessing the ASIC(s). It's the only practical way the Powerbook G4 I'm writing this on could mine coins, as a 1.67Ghz processor is also too slow for that sort of thing. This to my mind is the best path to take with 68K or PPC Amigas regarding virtual coin mining.
Amiga 4000: OS 3.9, 136M FastRAM, Cyberstorm MK-III 68060/50, 18G UWSCSI Seagate Cheetah (10K RPM), 4G SCSI Seagate Barracuda, Cybervision 64/3D, IOBlix, Oktagon 2008, Ariadne II connected wirelessly to an Apple Airport Extreme, viewed with a 19" NEC Multisync 95 CRT in 1280x1024x64K colors *only Amiga makes it paw-sible*

Offline TCMSLP

• Show only replies by TCMSLP
    • http://www.coherer.net
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 11:30:41 PM »
So what makes Amigacoin different to all the other LTC clones?  Does it bring something new to the table?  I'm guessing not :(
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!