Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple ][ emulator anyone?  (Read 3012 times)

Description:

Offline drHirudo

• Show all replies
    • http://hirudov.com
Re: Apple ][ emulator anyone?
« on: July 02, 2011, 06:46:31 AM »
Quote from: Xanxi;644902
Hello.

Could someone recommand a good Apple ][ emulator for amiga, either 030, 040 or 060?

Thanks for sharing.

Apple2000e is the best Apple II emulator for classic Amiga machines. It is very fast as well and is useful even on 68020 machines. Only dsk images can be used with it (143 360 bytes long), but not the .nib images, which are something like the .ipf format on the Amiga. You can also load executable programs with Apple2000e with the .prog (.prg) extension. You can use Amiga Joystick or Amiga Mouse with Apple2000 - the Mouse emulates the analog joystick of the Apple 2s - useful for some games like Captain Goodnight.

I used to compile programs on my Amiga and load directly them with Apple2000e and test - very useful for developing for the retro machine and testing software.

Be careful to change the pattern of the Apple2000e file requester from .disk to .dsk or you may not see your files.

Apple2000e emulates the auxilary memory of the AppleIIe, but not the double highres and double lowres modes. Also some games would not run if they execute code from the extra memory.

If the limitations of Apple2000e stop you from using some Apple II software, with fast machines you can use Apple PC or other MS-DOS based Apple II emulator under PC-Task or PCx. On 25 MHz 68040 ApplePC was slow but useful for testing.

The other Apple II emulators on classic Amigas are not good.

On AmigaOS 4, Apple2000e crashes and is useful only under E-UAE, but there are SDDApple and KEGS, which emulates the Apple IIGS. I partially ported WinApple to AmigaOS 4 some years ago, but it was unstable due some endian swaps, so I left the project unfinished.