Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CrossDOS help  (Read 2608 times)

Description:

Offline scuzzb494

Re: CrossDOS help
« on: March 05, 2010, 08:34:13 PM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;541947
I am a newbie to CrossDOS, so assume I know nothing. I formatted a 720k floppy in my PC as FAT and then tested it in my 3000D, where it came up as DF0:????. After digging around, I read the Amiga has to format it. So, under WB 3.1, I go to the format tool on my HDD. It sees my floppy but there is no option to format it. So, under HDtoolbox I install the CrossDOSFileSystem under L directory. I do a warm reboot, but its still DF0:????. So, I try typing crossdos under shell. I get a little window with a blank menu and a bunch of greyed out buttons. So, I'm at a loss of what I need to do.

You can choose to launch the PC0 at any time.. I have both my PC0 and PC1 in a drawer. I have an XL drive for PC disks and I don`t format them they will get read in the PC drive format. You should get 2 icons when loaded, the DF0:???? which means its not an Amiga disk and another, say 'empty' which is the PC disk. If you have fired up PC0: from the tool icon you should be able to use this as a PC formated disk and copy stuff to the Amiga. Best to get DOpus running and you can set one of your accessible drives as a PC drive and just copy stuff across. Very useful getting an XL Drive if you can... These read the bigger more common PC Disks. You don`t need to format anything on the Amiga really once you have a standard PC Formatted disk. You do get problems with file name length and FAT sometimes which can be cured by downloading a couple of tools off Aminet.

The XL drive made by Power Computing plugs into your drive on the back of the 3000. There is a patch needed which comes on a disk.

PS: When you click the PC0: or PC1: tool icon it tells you if the drive is mounted. Just put them both in your DEVS:DOSDrivers drawer... They are actually 'Projects'. Reboot the machine and when inserted the disk will appear with a CROSSDos icon... Ignore the Amiga DF0:????.Just click to check the PC contents and copy or add to it.

scuzz

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 08:41:21 PM »
Quote from: save2600;546197
On my A3000 with AmigaOS3.1 and PC0: loaded, the disk drive will spin, bring up the two icons, freeze the icons (can't do anything with them) and then the light on the drive stays on - rendering the floppy useless. Without PC0: enabled, the disk drive is fine in Amiga mode.

I've used CrossDOS and not. Made sure the tooltypes were correct for PC0: as well. Something wrong with my disk drive you think? External 1010 configured as PC2: works fine - so I'm thinking something is up with my HD DF0: drive. Maybe a jumper is misconfigured on the back?

What size PC floppy disks are you using ? ... The standard A3000 isn`t a HD drive.. Dont think so anyway. May be wrong. Never used an A3000.

If I put a HD 1.44MB in the A1200 standard drive then I get the symptoms you describe. I also had to patch my XL drive to read HD disks.

scuzz

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:45:36 PM »
Quote from: motorollin;541949
Don't bother with the CrossDOS utility. Just move the PC0 mountlist from SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers to DEVS: DOSDrivers, mount it, then format PC0 instead of DF0 with the disk in the internal floppy drive.

--
moto

PC0 is a project and will activate from DEVS on reboot. Why would you need to format the disk. It should be a readable PC disk, thats the joy of it.