Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CrossDOS help  (Read 2600 times)

Description:

Offline dreamcast270mhzTopic starter

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
CrossDOS help
« on: February 07, 2010, 09:41:09 PM »
I am a newbie to CrossDOS, so assume I know nothing. I formatted a 720k floppy in my PC as FAT and then tested it in my 3000D, where it came up as DF0:????. After digging around, I read the Amiga has to format it. So, under WB 3.1, I go to the format tool on my HDD. It sees my floppy but there is no option to format it. So, under HDtoolbox I install the CrossDOSFileSystem under L directory. I do a warm reboot, but its still DF0:????. So, I try typing crossdos under shell. I get a little window with a blank menu and a bunch of greyed out buttons. So, I'm at a loss of what I need to do.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
Re: CrossDOS help
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 09:44:36 PM »
Don't bother with the CrossDOS utility. Just move the PC0 mountlist from SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers to DEVS: DOSDrivers, mount it, then format PC0 instead of DF0 with the disk in the internal floppy drive.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 03:20:18 AM »
Moto's advice should get you operational. Remember that you'll be limited to DOS 8.3 filenames unless you have CrossDOS v7.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:02:30 PM »
On my A3000 with AmigaOS3.1 and PC0: loaded, the disk drive will spin, bring up the two icons, freeze the icons (can't do anything with them) and then the light on the drive stays on - rendering the floppy useless. Without PC0: enabled, the disk drive is fine in Amiga mode.

I've used CrossDOS and not. Made sure the tooltypes were correct for PC0: as well. Something wrong with my disk drive you think? External 1010 configured as PC2: works fine - so I'm thinking something is up with my HD DF0: drive. Maybe a jumper is misconfigured on the back?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:39:05 PM by save2600 »

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 08:34:13 PM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;541947
I am a newbie to CrossDOS, so assume I know nothing. I formatted a 720k floppy in my PC as FAT and then tested it in my 3000D, where it came up as DF0:????. After digging around, I read the Amiga has to format it. So, under WB 3.1, I go to the format tool on my HDD. It sees my floppy but there is no option to format it. So, under HDtoolbox I install the CrossDOSFileSystem under L directory. I do a warm reboot, but its still DF0:????. So, I try typing crossdos under shell. I get a little window with a blank menu and a bunch of greyed out buttons. So, I'm at a loss of what I need to do.

You can choose to launch the PC0 at any time.. I have both my PC0 and PC1 in a drawer. I have an XL drive for PC disks and I don`t format them they will get read in the PC drive format. You should get 2 icons when loaded, the DF0:???? which means its not an Amiga disk and another, say 'empty' which is the PC disk. If you have fired up PC0: from the tool icon you should be able to use this as a PC formated disk and copy stuff to the Amiga. Best to get DOpus running and you can set one of your accessible drives as a PC drive and just copy stuff across. Very useful getting an XL Drive if you can... These read the bigger more common PC Disks. You don`t need to format anything on the Amiga really once you have a standard PC Formatted disk. You do get problems with file name length and FAT sometimes which can be cured by downloading a couple of tools off Aminet.

The XL drive made by Power Computing plugs into your drive on the back of the 3000. There is a patch needed which comes on a disk.

PS: When you click the PC0: or PC1: tool icon it tells you if the drive is mounted. Just put them both in your DEVS:DOSDrivers drawer... They are actually 'Projects'. Reboot the machine and when inserted the disk will appear with a CROSSDos icon... Ignore the Amiga DF0:????.Just click to check the PC contents and copy or add to it.

scuzz

Offline amigagr

• Show only replies by amigagr
    • http://www.amigahellas.gr
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 08:40:34 PM »
@dreamcast270mhz: do as motorollin said but better use http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fat95
A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.9
A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.9/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.2
PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.2/MorphOS 2.7/Debian 5.0.7/SUSE 11.1
MacMini/G4 1.5 MorphOS 2.7/OSX 10.5.8
Long Live Amiga

If i am going to have bugs on my system,
at least let me keep the latest versions.
Neil Bothwick

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 08:41:21 PM »
Quote from: save2600;546197
On my A3000 with AmigaOS3.1 and PC0: loaded, the disk drive will spin, bring up the two icons, freeze the icons (can't do anything with them) and then the light on the drive stays on - rendering the floppy useless. Without PC0: enabled, the disk drive is fine in Amiga mode.

I've used CrossDOS and not. Made sure the tooltypes were correct for PC0: as well. Something wrong with my disk drive you think? External 1010 configured as PC2: works fine - so I'm thinking something is up with my HD DF0: drive. Maybe a jumper is misconfigured on the back?

What size PC floppy disks are you using ? ... The standard A3000 isn`t a HD drive.. Dont think so anyway. May be wrong. Never used an A3000.

If I put a HD 1.44MB in the A1200 standard drive then I get the symptoms you describe. I also had to patch my XL drive to read HD disks.

scuzz

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 08:45:36 PM »
Quote from: motorollin;541949
Don't bother with the CrossDOS utility. Just move the PC0 mountlist from SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers to DEVS: DOSDrivers, mount it, then format PC0 instead of DF0 with the disk in the internal floppy drive.

--
moto

PC0 is a project and will activate from DEVS on reboot. Why would you need to format the disk. It should be a readable PC disk, thats the joy of it.

Offline rockape

• Show only replies by rockape
    • http://lincsamiga.org.uk/
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 08:47:41 PM »
Hi,

I use FAT 95

See  http://aminet.net/disk/misc/fat95.readme

"Purpose
=======

"fat95" is a DOS handler to mount and use Win95/98 volumes just as if they were
AMIGA volumes.

System requirements
===================

* every AMIGA, OS 1.3+ (OS 2.0+ for full functionality)
* a suitable device file for low level disk access, like the
  mfm.device for floppies.

Features
========

* workbench and applications support
* diskchange autosense
* format type autosense: FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32
* simple LINUX style partition selection or manual definition
* up to 4 GBytes of partition size for FAT16
* large harddisk support via TD64 or direct SCSI
* long filenames (up to 104 chars for now)
* inquiry, read, write, and maintenance access
* built-in error check utility
* disk formatting using the OS 2.0+ format command
* MS-DOS 8.3 downward compatibility
* user definable language and code page
* date range Jan 1st, 1980 through Dec 31st, 2107
* extended datestamp support: creation date and time, last accessed date
  (written automatically, readable as file comment text)
* volume serial number as name for unnamed volumes
* automatic directory optimization
* written entirely in assembly language"

Regards, Michael

aka rockape
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:16:59 PM by rockape »
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to \'Their Country\' for an amount of \'up to and including their life\'.