Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Raspberry PI  (Read 25794 times)

Description:

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #14 from previous page: March 02, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682210
tl/dr

You're still an idiot.

Also, tell my mom hi, and I'm not calling you dad no matter what she says.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »
Quote from: desiv;682214
:roflmao:  
Man, that was hysterical!!

Thanx for that!!

Irony can be so ironic sometimes..  :)

desiv

Welcome to the party!

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 06:33:34 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682213
My highschool dropped C++ in favor of VB6 for classes because they found that all the students couldn't comprehend anything and would rather draw forms and buttons and click things to make happy faces appear.

Older people I know had similar things happen.  Some schools drop programming altogether.  

My highschool is rated one of the top ones in the area, so, that aint a good sign

Well, that is too bad...whoa!:

If you can't be bothered to read anything, don't bother replying.  You flail  your penis around pissing and moaning about not providing facts or  whatever it is you're doing, whining about berating people, all the  while flinging insults, but this is the second time now that you've been  all tl;dr.

learn how to internet.  What the hell are they putting in the water in Dundee?

You're the worst troll target ever.  The troll-targets even troll you.

You are obsessed with penis!  And just when I thought you had calmed down and taken your ritalin...

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682216
aw look the Oregon Trail brigade is playing together! ;3

I wonder how long it will take for Bulgey to realize I've been , uh how is it the Brits put it?

taking the piss?

Did you not fully read the tl/dr response?

I admit it took a few posts.  Cut me some slack, I multitask like a rhino ****ing a volkswagen.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682221
no, it was tl;dr.

Do asians say tr;dl?

Only ones that can't afford good speech therapists.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;682232
In in the 80's and early 90's, they were shoveling LOGO and BASIC down kids throats. Educators don't bother with it anymore because it turned out that it wasn't very useful. The teachers had no idea what they were doing and the kids didn't get anything out of it.

I got a lifelong enjoyment of computers.  To be fair, I only did LOGO and BASIC in the early 80s.  By the time middle and high school rolled around (late 80's) we had moved onto DOS and pascal and cobol.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 03:29:58 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;682282
Bunch of cool stuff about Efika

I want one of those as well! But it is over a hundred dollars, and then if you take everyone's assumption about cost of kbd/mouse/monitor, that thing costs 1200 dollars!!!!111111oneoneone :insane:

But serious.  The efika IS cool.  Still, what, 2800 dollars cheaper than other homebrew projects we could mention.  BUT, for the cost of an efika, you could have a pretty sweet morphOS box, if you could afford the keyboard, mouse and monitor for it...

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 07:27:45 PM »
Quote from: dammy;682327
What, an eMac?

Well, according to the conventional wisdom, it would be 111 euros for the MorphOS license, 100 bucks or so for the Mac to run it, then a couple hundred dollars for the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 02:50:04 PM »
Quote from: persia;682683
Wow, a seven month delay.  At least it's close to Christmas....

Yeah, it took me a second as well, and I'm from 'Merica :lol:

EDIT - I'm on the RS list to hopefully maybe get one from the UK, otherwise I'm on the Allied list here in the states for whenever they may end up getting them.

EDITx2:  Check Here about those later dates:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/764

Looks to have been a mistake.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:57:08 PM by TheBilgeRat »

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 01:18:54 AM »
Quote from: VingtTrois;682727
700 orders per second...
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/raspberry-pi-mini-computer-sells-out-after-taking-700-orders-per-second/

Also, this:

http://www.techspot.com/news/47178-25-raspberry-pi-twice-as-powerful-as-iphone-4s-gpu-burns-tegra-2.html

Especially to the "Its an underpowered, worthless POS!!!" crowd.

Also, there is no issue running linux in 256 MB.  There is a problem, say, running LibreOffice, a 720P video in Mplayer, TuxRacer,ripping a CD, and playing on armor games in 256MB of memory at once, maybe...

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 10:17:02 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;682840
Remember, this 256mb of RAM is shared between the GPU and CPU.  There is zero dedicated VRAM, so you could say that there is 128mb RAM and 128mb VRAM, or if you are running extremely demanding graphics programs at very high resolutions, I suppose it might be possible to use more than half of the available RAM for VRAM and the GPU, which could conceivably leave you with less than 128mb of RAM for the rest of the system and the CPU.

Given the right version of Linux, like others here have suggested, the 256mb of combined RAM might be okay for most of the circumstances and situations, but it is hardly a generous amount of RAM when you consider that it is combined VRAM and CPU RAM.  You would never want a full desktop system with that low amount of RAM, would you?

MorphOS probably only takes up around 40mb to 45mb of RAM when loaded on my Efika (IIRC), which would leave me with approx. 83mb to 88mb of free RAM after it boots up.

If the Linux being used on the Raspberry Pi only uses slightly more RAM to boot up, it will work fine in most circumstances.  Remember, one of the heavily advertised points of the Raspberry Pi, is that it can palyback 1080p video content, so I am sure more than a few people are buying it with that in mind and want to use those great video playback capabilities, which will no doubt use a big chunk of that shared 256mb of RAM.

Lots of links and video out there showing what it can or can't do.  I'm tired of posting links.  Show me an equivalent anything for 35 dollars.  Drop the bull**** about keyboard/mouse/monitor.  RTFM on ArchLinuxARM, FedoraARM, and DebianARM as to what is in the repos and what isn't.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 04:58:22 AM »
Quote from: bbond007;712382
I just got my 512mb version today...

I have updated the Raspbian, overclocked  to 800mhz and split the memory 128/374...

So far I'm not very impressed with this device at all...

Very slow and unresponsive overall.

It misses mouse clicks and when your are dragging or resizing windows it seems to think you released the mouse button when you did not.

like using an Amiga mouse with a worn out button...

Hopefully RiscOS is more interesting...

Also, why could they not mount the USB and Ethernet flush with each other?

I guess you get what you pay for :/

update:
adding usphid.mousepoll=8 to the command.txt fixes the mouse

I also have a problem with the keyboard where keys don't respond or stick and repeat and the fix for that seems to turn my USB hub off and back on then the KB seems ok. Not found a better fix for that. I have to do that every time I boot it seems...

I think the Raspberry PI was designed to make 8-bit computers look good :)

Crazy - my first gen with 256MB and no OC or ram fiddling seems to work just fine.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 04:34:03 PM »
Quote from: bbond007;712463

The problem seems to be with the Cosair and Logitech backlit keyboards.

I ain't no rocket scientist, but driving all those LEDs for the backlit fanciness could very well be an issue.