Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Raspberry PI  (Read 25825 times)

Description:

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2012, 04:07:47 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682161

OOPS I SPILLED CAPRI SUN ON MY RASPBERRY PI.  

I picture cake frosting and crap spilled on these.  Kids are clumsy and sloppy.   Slap them in front of some hulking PC case.  It's safer.

That's actually a plus for the Pi there..

I'm sure, when it gets to kids, there will be cases..  So I don't see spills really being a problem..

But it's possible..  
So, ruin a $35 Pi or a $200 netbook/PC..  Which is easier to replace?

Slap them in front of a hulking PC case and it gets knocked off the desk (I used to (man, was it that long ago, I'm getting old) work for a school district, it happened a lot- not daily, but it happened much more than we wanted) and again...
Replace a $35 Pi (which you wouldn't have to most likely..  Things that small falling off of a desk, most likely no issues...), no biggie.
Even if it's just re-seating cards to get the PC working, that's a service call to the help desk, down time, tech time...

Done right (which I'm sure it won't be), it could be a really neat setup..  ;-)

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2012, 04:08:22 PM »
Quote from: tone007;682164
"Here kid, don't mind the blurry letters."  Love it.

When you juxtapose it to not having a monitor or a computer at all it doesn't look that stupid.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »
Personally I would waste 20 cents on a netbook, dead end technology, not tablets not notebooks.  They're getting harder to find in stores now too.

But why the hate for a device that is designed to get kids curious about programming.  If it works it's a good thing, if it doesn't, well you've just wasted the cost of an Indian takeaway....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2012, 04:15:40 PM »
Quote from: persia;682174
Personally I would waste 20 cents on a netbook, dead end technology, not tablets not notebooks.  They're getting harder to find in stores now too.

But why the hate for a device that is designed to get kids curious about programming.  If it works it's a good thing, if it doesn't, well you've just wasted the cost of an Indian takeaway....

I'm wondering if it isn't Anglophobia.  Where do those uppity British get off building a 35 dollar SOC that lots of people are excited about?

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2012, 04:17:53 PM »
These are the first batches to get developers / teachers etc hand on before its released to schools in cases etc.

I think people are being very narrow minded, who would have though it in the amiga community.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2012, 04:22:14 PM »
Quote from: JJ;682179
These are the first batches to get developers / teachers etc hand on before its released to schools in cases etc.

I think people are being very narrow minded, who would have though it in the amiga community.

'Ere now.  Shouldn't you be off doing more traditional British things?  These here fancy electronic doo-dads are awfully complimacated...lawn gnomes and labor riots - that's all dem brits is good fer!

sorry about that - I'm in a queer mood.

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2012, 04:48:18 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;682170
Python is hardly assembler. Neither is Java, C, or Ruby. RTFA before you jump off the deep end.
I was quoting another age-old programming quote (If you can't do it in assembly it isn't worth doing) to go with the ARM/256 RAM quote, and then moving onto a real point.  The two are not related as indicated by the "now, really," and the "get with the times".

I can tell you're eager to wave your "huruhrur I'm a CS major" card around.  Stop.  

Quote from: Linde;682169
Who said you need a HDMI capable display?
Anyone who doesn't want to use a composite output for a computer?  Ever try programming on a standard def tv?  Screw ergonomics, these kids will be blind by the age of 12.   HDMI (crisp visuals) or jank ass composite (blurrylolol!).  HMMMMM.  Tough choice.

Good point, though at $35 it's not a great loss for the school.
When enough of them get broke that they could've just bought some more versatile computers...

I don't think what I was trying to say came through to you! What I am saying is that while most kids have ACCESS to a computer, quite a few don't have their own. I don't know, but libraries, parents and whatever are usually pretty restrictive in what they allow you to do with computers. I'm not sure that poor John Doe's Microsoft-Office-and-youtube dad will be happy if his starts mucking about with installing compiler environments, and I'm quite sure that he won't be happy to have his computer occupied all day.
Parents are retarded.  So the answer is to give kids crippled machines?  Cool!    

It will be like taking Timmy off his Ninja Turtles huffy complete with training wheels, slapping him on a Kawasaki Crotch Rocket, and watching him slam into a wall, full tilt.  Blood everywhere.  Teeth removed, bones broken.

Schools can provide programming computers.  Parents who aren't stuck in the 1940s can provide real computers.  

No C++, no Java and no C#? Where did you get that idea? I'm getting more and more confident in the fact that you have no idea of what you are talking about. It's a Linux system, not some sort of sandboxed toy OS.
From Wikipedia: This board is intended to run operating systems based on the Linux kernel, including, but not exclusive to Linux[2] and to support the Python programming language,[11][12] BBC BASIC,[13] C[11] and Perl.[11]

So, no, I am not clueless.  Just reading the information I see.  The thing comes with Kids Ruby, Scratch, and BASIC , I think?

Can anyone confirm otherwise that this thing supports C++ and C#?  I sure doubt it supports C# in any good form.

Yes, they should give Linux boxes to all k... wait, isn't this what the Raspberry Pi is? Are you that clueless or are you leaving out some aspect of your argument that gives it some sense?
This thing is far from being a fullblown linux box.   Linux based != Linux.  It's got some hacked up Linux based OS running off an SD card.  It ain't like you're going to be able to hit up the repo browser and grab tons of packages to install.

Are you sure you aren't the clueless one?

If I wanted a kid to get excited about programming, I'd sit him down in front of a Linux machine with some Galaga clone in C, and show him how that works.  

Games are how you get kids excited.  Not goony little boxes that make Amigafans hard in the pants.

This thing has a long way to go before it would be useful in my book.  I'd rather spend the extra money on a real computer for a kid, so he/she can learn more than just programming.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:55:33 PM by Arkhan »
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2012, 04:51:32 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682187
wharrgarbl

Holy crap, you are an idiot.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2012, 04:53:08 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682161
If they have an HDMI capable display and no personal computer, their family needs to rethink priorities and get them into technology instead of HD television.
It's DVI via HDMI, you can hook it to basically any LCD made in the past seven years with a $5 adapter. I find DVI monitors in piles at the recycle center, for God's sake, it's not like you're required to shell out for a wall TV.

if you can't do it in assembly, it isn't worth doing.
I would point out that there's nothing you can't do in assembler.

now , really, its 2012.  This kind of thinking is just stupid.  Stop being stupid and get with the times.
I think not. The best thing that could happen to software right now is a new generation of programmers who learned on a machine with 1/8 to 1/4 the power of base-level desktop systems. It's like all the demoscene coders who went on to be game programmers - those skills at doing lots with little stay with you the rest of your life.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2012, 04:58:16 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;682188
Holy crap, you are an idiot.

awww why is that Bilgey.

Is it because I don't take your penis waving CS department nonsense as fact/law?  The fact that you condense things into whaargarbl means to me that you are too stupid to come up with any kind of reply.

and John, what you're saying is we should force kids to learn assembly.  I agree.

Except, we'd have like 3 successful students out of 200.

At least you can DVI

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2012, 05:00:52 PM »
OK, so I just looked on ebay and found an HDMI to VGA lead, a 15" TFT monitor, keyboard and mouse all on buy it now for a grand total of £18. With the Pi that's £40 total and all I need is a case. Oh look, this external floppy case in my cupboard is big enough, a little hacking and I'm done...

..as for kids being messy, pah! My kids have never spilt anything on my PC stuff. I have and my cat is a menace, but the kids, never. If it's an issue, mount the Pi on the wall and get a waterproof keyboard, job done.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2012, 05:02:38 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;682192
OK, so I just looked on ebay and found an HDMI to VGA lead, a 15" TFT monitor, keyboard and mouse all on buy it now for a grand total of £18. With the Pi that's £40 total and all I need is a case. Oh look, this external floppy case in my cupboard is big enough, a little hacking and I'm done...

..as for kids being messy, pah! My kids have never spilt anything on my PC stuff. I have and my cat is a menace, but the kids, never. If it's an issue, mount the Pi on the wall and get a waterproof keyboard, job done.

what about shipping?

And for that price I can craigslist a real computer with better specs and pick it up locally.

just because your kids aren't clumsy dip****s doesn't mean others aren't, anyway.

and there will be at least one fat kid that tries to eat it when you tell him the name of the machine.

HUHUH I LIKE PIEEE!

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
@ you know who.

Why the name calling? Manners cost nothing, if you can't argue your case and remain civil you just make yourself look stupid. A well reasoned argument requires no such childishness.

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2012, 05:08:47 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682194
what about shipping?

And for that price I can craigslist a real computer with better specs and pick it up locally.

just because your kids aren't clumsy dip****s doesn't mean others aren't, anyway.

and there will be at least one fat kid that tries to eat it when you tell him the name of the machine.

HUHUH I LIKE PIEEE!

That included shipping! Granted the TFT was a local pick up.

Why so little faith in children?

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2012, 05:09:27 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682191
awww why is that Bilgey.

Is it because I don't take your penis waving CS department nonsense as fact/law?  The fact that you condense things into whaargarbl means to me that you are too stupid to come up with any kind of reply.

and John, what you're saying is we should force kids to learn assembly.  I agree.

At least you can DVI

Nobody was waving any CS penis around as fact/law - that was you.  Mentioning that my CS department would be willing to lab fee a 35 dollar computer is hardly pointing out that I am some super geek whom all words should be obeyed.  I did condense your drivel to that, because it is drivel. You aren't making any salient point, you are just attacking people personally, so I returned the sentiment.

Seriously, what is your problem?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #89 from previous page: March 02, 2012, 05:18:53 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682191

I never said any such thing. I just said that people who bag on assembly language would do well to remember that ultimately every single toolchain and library for every single high-level language is only a tool to write assembler for people who can't or won't do it themselves.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup