Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bounty for better Radeon Mediator drivers  (Read 22211 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3

Re: Bounty for better Radeon Mediator drivers
« on: September 13, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;747698
Sometimes (many times) is like os4 is against the real amiga.

they want to sell their licenses and avoid everything that would support users on other platforms. I can remember reading a thread where someone asked one of the Friedens to compile something for another platform (I think it was Warp3D for 68k) and the answer was I could but I do not, buy AmigaOS when you want to use it (i do not remember the exact phrases). That shows the attitude...

As Wawa said only chance is AROS 68k. BTW the same is partly the case on MorphOS team too. Both "closed-source" and "commercial" camps want to defend their advantages and are not interested in sharing code in areas where they think they are better than the others. It is their right of course but it would have been better in a common interest to work together. But that is not the case (and will propably never be).

Of course it is different outside the "core" and even in the teams there are exceptions that are very open (like Fab from MorphOS-Team) but I think every technology that is seen as advantage like MUI4, P96, Cybergraphics 5 and so that is copyrighted will not opened or at least cross-compiled.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 01:37:49 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;747860
Just to set the record straight: The "they" in "they stopped Ratte" referred to Elbox, not Hyperion. Hyperion has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Boring detail, I know. Let's bash Hyperion anyway.

thanks for clarification... but most of the discussion was about Warp3D (that I was referring to). Ratte was stopped by Elbox (and not Hyperion).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:07:03 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 04:00:58 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;747866
You replied to Kickstart, who was talking about the party who stopped Ratte. Maybe I should have replied to him instead, to make things clearer.

If you're still complaining about Hyperion not supporting you more than a decade after they made it perfectly clear they had zero interest to do so, something's badly wrong with the platform you're supporting. As in: "dead".

As for Hyperion not producing W3D drivers for OS3: If you really need somebody to give you a vague promise right now, post a useless status update in twelve months and insult you for being ungrateful dicks two years from now on - I can do that aswell, no need to wait for official support from Hyperion. We could also include some prepayment scheme to complete the experience.

"As in: "dead""

thanks for the tip. Now i finally know what is wrong with it :-)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 04:05:41 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »
I think Wazp3D works on Aros 68k. I have installed it together this with Sormmesa2010 and run the old "Stormmesa-Demos".

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;747881
Yes but it is software only rendering, the AROS specific version is hardware accelerated so that is the best bet to get working.

Hardware accellerated rendering would be of course better. But would it possible to adapt Gallium to use Wazp3D as layer? This solution would then run everywhere and we only need a adapted version of Wazp3D for f.e. a certain graphiccard.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 04:10:05 PM »
there are more and more developers interested to directly support AROS 68k so I will need AROS 68k as compiler target in future.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:53:29 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;748133
that depends on everyones personal preferences. if aros 68k wass ready for prime time id say, yes. but since some serious issues remain i just want to warn about the actual situation, rather than spread promises.

since the thread is originally about radeon driver, another question would be what particula cards would come into question. i dont have definite answer to that unfortunately.

"i just want to warn about the actual situation, rather than spread promises."

Yes? Example?

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 01:40:01 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;748165
what are you upset about? as winuae user its not your concern, while those who might expect to use some sort of pci rtg boards in their amiga setups will have to make up their mind about the issue (im not an expert unfortunately). therefore i just propose a solution that the more knowledgeable might or might not find feasible. i am not sure if and which a nvidia card will work in (say) a mediator. none has ever tried so far i know.

I was only wondering... one said AROS 68k is "unusable" and you talked a little negativ too so I was wondering what is missing. Functionality (when using Magellan) certainly is competitive to any other 68k platform. Of course supporting PCI/Zorro cards on real hardware is out of my scope.