Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS4.1 Classic stability plummets with Update 5  (Read 10493 times)

Description:

Offline Cass

• Show all replies
Re: OS4.1 Classic stability plummets with Update 5
« on: May 06, 2014, 08:07:45 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;763774
Been playing around with 4.1 Classic as a mini project this weekend. Started from a fresh CD install (equivalent to update 2), applied updates 3 and 4, no problem. Once I installed Update 5, the stability of the system tanks. I managed to get Update 6 and all the AmiUpdate updates installed, and it's still crash-happy.

I think I've narrowed it down to a problem with ReAction, or whatever they're calling it these days. It seems to be the common factor in all the crashes. Scrolling, pressing buttons, changing tabs, opening windows, etc., all have a random chance of locking up the machine. Most crashes are accompanied/preceded by a few pixels of graphics corruption in the window at hand.

And yet I'm looking at the files installed with Update 5. There don't seem to be too many files related to ReAction in that update. SYS:Classes/table.image?

Anyone got any ideas? Or experienced similar? I'm not plugged in to the OS4 minicommunities, so I'm hoping someone else here might be able to share advice.

Thanks!

I'm running OS 4.1.6 on an A4000/CV3D. It's pretty stable till now, I'm posting this with the latest NetSurf release (v3.1, 25th April 2014)!
I've noticed certain lfreezes related to cold reboots (I have an ALGOR card loaded with certain modules, but are limited to 3.x ROMs).
One thing that might cause unpredictable freezes on classic might be the PPC-cooling. Be sure to have adequate airflow.
Maybe someone else with more experience on the topic, might shed a light on the problem...
"If we don't got it, you don't want it!"